how much had you lost before people noticed

Options

Replies

• timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    13 lbs, but it was mostly off my thighs and bottom, which meant I dropped a pant size. I don't know if it will be so quick with the next 13.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Right around the 20pound mark and then every 20 pounds someone else will notice
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Funny that you asked this today because yesterday I got my first comment, and I've only lost six pounds. However, the person commenting was one of my fitness instructors. I assume people in the profession notice weight/inch loss more quickly than the average person, and also might be more likely to comment on it sooner. (Personally, I think just these six pounds have made a big difference-- I think I look slimmer and my pants fit better, but I just don't think most people look that closely at other people.)

Judging from past experience,I think it'll be about ten more pounds before anyone else comments. I have an hourglass shape and tend to gain and lose all over, so it takes a while to have an obvious difference. I usually have to lose a full 15 pounds to go down a size whereas it's usually ten for others.
  • stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have someone comment when I was down around 15 pounds, and I had more coworkers tell me I look great at the 25 lb mark. They don't seem very excited when I tell them I'm counting calories and lifting weights when they ask what I'm doing.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Probably around 40 lbs, but then I can't notice on myself yet so I'm not surprised others don't either.

Also it could be that people DO notice your loss, but are afraid to say anything yet. Weight is often an awkward conversation. I absolutely HATE when people want to chat about my weight. Please no. They can say I look good - but beyond that I'd rather be attacked by rabid chihuahuas than have a drawn out conversation about my weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just curious to see how much everyone had lost before people commented on their weight loss. I have lost 25lbs since i started mfp but have actually lost 33lb because i started dieting 2 weeks before i started on here and no one has noticed as yet. Most of my weight seems to have came off my shoulder area, i have dropped from a size 22 to 18 (although 18s are still bit tight). My partner has lost 20lbs and it really noticeable on him, suppose when youve more to lose the less noticeable a few pounds are.
    I started MFP last May with only 33 pounds I wanted to lose, but I have ended up losing 39. People started noticing at about 20 pounds, but it's now that they really notice and comment. I'm pretty small, though, and didn't have a whole lot to lose.

However, sometimes when we are bigger, it takes awhile for others to notice. What matters is whether you notice and how you feel. Congratulations on a great job losing your weight thus far!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The closest people to me started commenting at 20 pounds. Other people started commenting around the 30 - 40 pound mark.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think I was down like 12 pounds when someone said something. Its odd because I started at 295 but say around 270 for awhile before making that jump up. I really think it was the fact that I jumped in with both feet and had an air of confidence about me.

When I was 60 down people guessed me down 100 because my face and neck shrunk thinned out.
  • jeromeloresco
    jeromeloresco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    10ish
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It took about 40 of the 50 I've lost for me. One day I walked into work and my boss gives me this weird sort of look. He calls me over and says "Have you been losing weight? Your face looks so thin and gaunt!" Now gaunt isn't the word I'd use, considering I still had 60+ pounds to lose at the time, but hey, a compliment's a compliment!
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Funny that you say you think you lost it all in the shoulders... I have lost 24lb so far and feel that I've lost it all in my shoulders as well!!!

People have started to notice, but I don't make too much of it, because I still have a lot to lose.
  • SuperHero_Girl
    SuperHero_Girl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The first time someone commented, unprompted, and without prior knowledge of my attempting to lose weight was after I'd lost about 65 pounds.

People in my family noticed when I had lost about 50 pounds.

For the most part, people I work with never really commented on it, so I can't be sure at which point it became noticeable. Not sure why it took so much weight for people to start noticing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My mom noticed after 14 lbs. Nobody that wasn't part of my immediate family noticed until about 25 lbs.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My coworker commented even before I weighed in for the first 5 pounds. Last time I was getting comments after about 15 pounds but this time I started heavier so itlll be another 15 I think before others say anything. If at all.
    My best friend said something but only because I had mentioned working out again.
    I'm looking forward to what my body will look like 30 pounds from now :)
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I feel slimmer but I don't think I look different besides my face. I've only lost 15.8 pounds.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say around 20 pounds. That's when I also started to feel a bit better, never thought I could double that. I just kept adjusting the goal, at first it was a stone, then I thought maybe another, still not happy yet tho, bit more to go!
    last x-mas after 40 pounds, family members who hadn't seen me for a while didn't recognise me! I also get embarrassed when people comment, I think I like it, but get quite uncomfortable and don't know what to say!
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 so far, and no one has said anything except for my wife & kids! :smile:
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have someone comment when I was down around 15 pounds, and I had more coworkers tell me I look great at the 25 lb mark. They don't seem very excited when I tell them I'm counting calories and lifting weights when they ask what I'm doing.

Most likely because most people still think theres some magic pill to pop and when they find out its just hard work and dedication, it puts them off. Sad really.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    About 28 lbs. My co-workers said they suspected before, but the fact our uniform has a generous cut doesn't make it easy to spot weight loss. At 28lbs, they said they could see a definitely change in the face and that my trousers were awfully baggy.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a school teacher and started losing weight at the start of the 2012-2013 school year. I lost 65 lbs that school year and really didn't get comments - probably because it was so gradual and I started at 234 lbs. But after a summer of only 5 lbs lost, I got a bunch of comments when I got back for 2013-2014. In fact, I had a teacher ask me if I needed help (I wasn't wearing a visitor tag) - she totally didn't recognize me. I had new clothes and a new cute hair cut :) At 89 lbs off I get comments often.