Changing Inner Monologue & Self Talk

Options
Hey All,

My first post on MFP, and something sort of personal, but I thought it might be useful to others so I decided to share.

I am a beginner, but I noticed something different today when I was exercising from when I have exercised in the past. I used to give up on exercise because afterwards I would fall into a deep depression, which I thought odd since exercise is supposed to give you endorphins and improve your mood. However, it never worked that way for me, so I stopped exercising and considered it the enemy to my self-esteem.

Starting in January I began a 6 week program with the Leslie Sansone DVDs. Although I didn't lose a lick of weight, I noticed improved energy and mood and so stuck with it.

Today on the treadmill, working out without her voice for the first time in a while, I finally realized really what those videos had given me: a new and improved inner monologue. I found myself positively reinforcing myself throughout the workout--telling myself that I could do it, to push through, that my body was strong, that I was making such a good and healthy choice in exercising, and that I was on the right track. I realized these are the exact things Leslie says during the videos, and things I had NEVER said to myself before! If I had just gotten on a treadmill today without having had that positive inner monologue modeled for me, I probably would have told myself i was ONLY walking and jogging and ONLY on it for 45 minutes, instead of celebrating my accomplishments, dedication, and commitment.

I believe that this journey to health, fitness, and weight loss is made up of so many deep emotional and mental changes. I never would have even realized that my own self-talk and inner monologue were so profoundly negative, and affecting me so deeply, had I not been trained (in my case, through working out with those positive videos) into talking to myself nicely, as a person I care about, as I would to a friend.

I encourage anyone who might be struggling the way I did to add movement to their lives--find a fitness role model, teacher, or trainer that speaks to you positively and shows you everyday how to change that inner monologue. You will feel so much better during and after your exercise, and that will lead you to want to do it more. Even if I don't lose any weight, this reward of LIKING myself during activity has made such a difference in my life. I look forward to my activity now as a time to reward myself with a little self-love!:smile:

Replies

• oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Positive self-talk is one of the best ways to stay on track with your goals. Your body believes whatever your brain tells it. So make your brain tell it awesome things about itself because IT IS AWESOME. YOU are awesome. And every step you take on this fitness journey is one you can relish and celebrate. Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

My first post on MFP, and something sort of personal, but I thought it might be useful to others so I decided to share.

I am a beginner, but I noticed something different today when I was exercising from when I have exercised in the past. I used to give up on exercise because afterwards I would fall into a deep depression, which I thought odd since exercise is supposed to give you endorphins and improve your mood. However, it never worked that way for me, so I stopped exercising and considered it the enemy to my self-esteem.

Starting in January I began a 6 week program with the Leslie Sansone DVDs. Although I didn't lose a lick of weight, I noticed improved energy and mood and so stuck with it.

Today on the treadmill, working out without her voice for the first time in a while, I finally realized really what those videos had given me: a new and improved inner monologue. I found myself positively reinforcing myself throughout the workout--telling myself that I could do it, to push through, that my body was strong, that I was making such a good and healthy choice in exercising, and that I was on the right track. I realized these are the exact things Leslie says during the videos, and things I had NEVER said to myself before! If I had just gotten on a treadmill today without having had that positive inner monologue modeled for me, I probably would have told myself i was ONLY walking and jogging and ONLY on it for 45 minutes, instead of celebrating my accomplishments, dedication, and commitment.

I believe that this journey to health, fitness, and weight loss is made up of so many deep emotional and mental changes. I never would have even realized that my own self-talk and inner monologue were so profoundly negative, and affecting me so deeply, had I not been trained (in my case, through working out with those positive videos) into talking to myself nicely, as a person I care about, as I would to a friend.

I encourage anyone who might be struggling the way I did to add movement to their lives--find a fitness role model, teacher, or trainer that speaks to you positively and shows you everyday how to change that inner monologue. You will feel so much better during and after your exercise, and that will lead you to want to do it more. Even if I don't lose any weight, this reward of LIKING myself during activity has made such a difference in my life. I look forward to my activity now as a time to reward myself with a little self-love!:smile:
    What a lovely first post! Thank you, your post is very helpful to me and a good reminder to push forward and keep moving. :heart:
    I'm so pleased exercise has now got a positive place in your life, it makes such a difference in how we view things!:happy:
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I felt the same way when I began and now I actually enjoy my time at the gym. :)
  • t1234567
    t1234567 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the beautiful, positive encouragement!
    The support is definitely felt, and appreciated :smile:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What a great post! :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hey, that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that! :flowerforyou:
  • grasshoppermegan
    Options
    This is so true - I am just learning this myself. In fact I wrote it in my blog earlier today! I have always had 3 goals for loosing weight/becoming healthy. 1. Healthy Calories and limited. 2. Drink plenty of water 3. Exercise daily But like you I have added a 4th. 4. Change your thought pattern. I honestly believe this is the only way that one can truly make their goals, and then maintain them (lifestyle change!)

I am so happy for you that you have found this. Keep it up. I will friend request you.

Cheers - Megan
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wow- I didn't realize that I've been doing the same thing! Holy cow!

I know she gets a lot of hate in some places because of the Biggest Loser, but Jillian Michaels did it for me. I've never watched a single episode, but the approach and attitude she takes in her dvds just works for me. It's like having a drill sergeant and cheerleader in one, with corny jokes thrown in. I hear her voice in my head when I'm doing self-motivation talk on the elliptical.

"You can do this"
    "You're awesome"
    "Look how great you're doing/ how far you've come"
    "You're almost there"
    "The pain you feel is you getting stronger/better"
    "You're going to thank yourself later"

I don't care if it's a marketing move, a psychological tactic, or if I'm just crazy, but it's really helped by sticking in my head. Now if only I had her in my head in non-exercise situations...
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    I did this last night when I wanted to snack for no reason. Im finding telling myself a few home truths help alot. Il tell myself its only 20-30mins exercise or would you rather eat cookies or a meal for those calories? and it all helps. Like just now I really didnt want to workout but I got my hrm on and had a cup of tea and did a 20min fitness blender workout. I used to do Leslie Sansone dvds and would love how nice and cheery she was
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Thanks for this post! Brilliant!