How do you measure a table spoon of peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever measured pb is in baking, never weighed it. I have a bad habit of eyeballing...2 tbsp is about the size of a ping pong ball. I don't eat pb too frequently though, so being imprecise isn't a huge issue for me. No point dirtying measuring spoons or hauling out the scale for something so minor, IMO. I would say that weighing the empty spoon then adding pb until I had the weight of 1 serving would be my method of choice if I ate it daily
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    weigh it - if you use a measuring spoon level it

Yup ... that simple.

(I use a level tbsp for my PB, btw)
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I too put whatever I plan to use with the peanut butter ON the food scale (bread, wrap, cracker, etc) then I put the peanut butter on that way.

Digital scale = life saver.

Same here, but mostly because I'm too lazy to wash the tablespoon after measuring.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I put my bread on the scale and weigh the amount of peanut butter directly on the bread.

Me, too! I was actually short-changing myself on peanut butter before I started weighing it, though. Strange, that.

Edit: As far as math goes, all of you subtracting the weight of your spoon - you should've gotten a scale with a TARE function. :D
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I weigh it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I put my bread on the scale and weigh the amount of peanut butter directly on the bread.
    Me too!
    cm-49669-451176610d12d1.gif
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    With all the self-control I can muster!

Seriously, I don't use measuring spoons, I use food scales. I place the jar on the scales, turn it on, scoop out an amount of the contents; look at the display, which will be -xx grams. That's rarely the right amount, so I dip into the jar a few times and add or scrape off and try again until I've gotten the right amount out of the jar. That way I won't have to remove it from whatever I'm using it in/on, a big advantage when making something liquid and it's impossible to take it out again :-)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I do the same. That way you don't end up with all the extra stuck to whatever you were using to measure it.

Also, when you use measuring cups/spoons you are supposed to take a flat object like a knife and run it across the top to level it off.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    is it roughly the same amount as scooping your index and middle finger in the jar and sticking them straight into your mouth?
    I buy my peanut butter in a 1kg tub so I can get my whole hand in.....

That's hot.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    How ever much you can fit on the tip of your finger!

or two.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Ive always wondered this since the package says one table spoon. How high up can the peanut butter be stacked on the spoon?

2 tbs should be 32 grams so I weigh 32 grams on my weighing scale and that gives me my 2tbs without the guess work.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    normally theres like 45g of it on my spoon but a serving is apparently a 15g tbsp so yeah weight it
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I do the same with a spoon. Weight the spoon first (Tara), fill it up with PB, and weight it again.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to put my jar on the scale, set it to zero then see how much PB I remove. BTW, now I don't count cals and feel fitter than ever.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I actually measure one tablespoon and I level it off.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I read in another post on the forums of someone putting the full jar of peanut butter on the digital scale, zeroing it out and then scooping out the amount of peanut butter that you intend to eat. BAM! You can lick the spoon no guilt! On some things I wouldn't bother to be quite so precise but peanut butter is approx. 6 calories a gram and 1/2 g of fat per gram of peanut butter, those little grams add up fast when you are trying to stick to a deficit.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like the real peanut butter as oppose to pb2 and you can totally over do it. I use a teaspoon and do not level the scoop and less work and it is a little over a TB enter on my food entry on mfp. I hate the chore of measuring, cleaning, etc.:laugh:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just weigh it. 32 grams. it's too hard to measure because it's so sticky.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    With an ice cream scooper. 3 scoops is the equivalent right?
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I read in another post on the forums of someone putting the full jar of peanut butter on the digital scale, zeroing it out and then scooping out the amount of peanut butter that you intend to eat. BAM! You can lick the spoon no guilt! On some things I wouldn't bother to be quite so precise but peanut butter is approx. 6 calories a gram and 1/2 g of fat per gram of peanut butter, those little grams add up fast when you are trying to stick to a deficit.

This is what I do with anything in a jar or container that will fit on my scale - saves the bother of having to weigh the spoon and then subtract.