Fitbit

Options
Been looking at Fitbit on eBay and would like everyone's views on them? Also is the wrist strap one better of the small rectangle one? Thanks x

Replies

• rshudson87
    rshudson87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit that is a little clip on square. If you ask me, the more money for the wrist one isn't worth it. There are cheaper apps that track your sleep if you really want that. I love love love my fitbit. I like that it encourages me to move more throughout the day and not just during my workouts. I also love seeing it adjust my calories.
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Fitbit Flex (the wristband one) over-estimates calories more-so than the Fitbit One (little rectangle one). I'm not 100% sure, though. I would look up reviews. I know Amazon.com's reviews are far better on the One then the Flex. I personally went out and bought the Fitbit One, and LOVE it. It also has a little screen so you can check your progress without having to go to the app and sync it.
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit that is a little clip on square. If you ask me, the more money for the wrist one isn't worth it. There are cheaper apps that track your sleep if you really want that. I love love love my fitbit. I like that it encourages me to move more throughout the day and not just during my workouts. I also love seeing it adjust my calories.

^ This.

The little square one also had very good reviews. Just doesn't have the sleep tracker (as stated above).
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and love it. They have come out with a newer one called the force in December or so. It has some neater features such as images rather than dots and works as a watch, but it has been recalled because it has been giving users a rash.
  • SaiSrini
    SaiSrini Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Fitbit Flex (the wrist strap one, but not the Force thats the costliest). So far, it has been super good for me. I don't like trackers that I have to keep in my pockets. i almost always forget them and they get washed/damaged in the washing machine. And also for sleep tracking, I don't have to wear an ugly cloth-band to put the pocket-sized version of Fitbit into it. The wrist strap versions take care of both these things.

As far as accuracy - they factor your hand movements. So if you walk with no motion of your hands, your readings will not be accurate. Its not fool proof. If you do not try to cheat it, it gives you very close to accurate data. For me, the objective is weight loss and I make sure I stay active. The Flex has helped tremendously. I use the treadmill since walking/running/jogging activities are most accurate with Flex (i.e. as long as you swing your arms normally). And its sleep tracking is pretty decent.

And, I don't focus on data accuracy. I focus on patterns. Focusing on patterns helps you get great use out of these fitness trackers. If my sleep score says 40%, I try to improve it to 60% or above by making positive lifestyle/habit changes.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I have had every one of them but the flex. I have a force now and it has been recalled due to skin irritations that it is causing.

I like the new One but was wearing it on my bra and then I started getting a sore spot on my breast where it lay. That scared me as my mother is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. So I started wearing it on my pants and lost it some where.

I got the force and do love it but the battery life started going out on me to have to be recharged every day, and I just got it in Jan. So I will be sending it back with the recall. I am thinking about the flex but have issues with the display. I use my fitbit as a watch and do like to look at it during the day to see how many steps I have with out logging onto the site to check.

They are worth the money and I feel they are an investment into your health. Once you get one, you will be addicted. I have had them going on 2 years and am still as addicted to it as the day I got it.

My husband has the zip and does not care for it at all.
  • SaiSrini
    SaiSrini Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and love it. They have come out with a newer one called the force in December or so. It has some neater features such as images rather than dots and works as a watch, but it has been recalled because it has been giving users a rash.

Fitbit is coming up with their new generation tracker soon. Hopefully that will build upon Force's features without the rash thing (it has nickel underneath). Hope they add a heart rate sensor, that will better track calories/sleep/activities.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fitbit One (clip on) yesterday. Love it so far. It's the same price as the Flex. I think the Zip is the cheaper model. It's similar to the One but doesn't give credit for flights of stairs because it can't sense changes in altitude.

I was a little confused with the readings I was getting yesterday, especially the exercise adjustments when I loaded exercises. But after my session today I wrote down my info to see what Fitbit had given me (way underestimated calories from weight lifting) and then the final results after adding in a 2 hour, 777 calorie weight lifting session. NOW the results make sense. The negative adjustment to MFP was because of the calories that Fitbit had already given me. That might not make sense if you're just starting to look into it, but the simple version would be that Fitbit integrates very well with MFP, even when you're adding in info to add/override. (Note: just make sure you log the start time of your exercise.)

My Fitbit One is working out great so far in terms of motivation. I didn't realize how inactive I was in between workout sessions on the weekend, but if I plop down in front of the computer or in my recliner for very long, Fitbit starts taking away exercise calories, which reduces the amount I'm allowed to eat. That in itself is reason enough to find an excuse to run up the stairs a few times.