For women...calcium and weight loss

Options
I've been struggling to lose weight for the passed 2-3 months. My Mom recently suggested that I start taking calcium supplements. Doing a little research there are several articles on how women should have at least 1000 mg of calcium a day. Looking at my reports MFP has me set at 160 mg and I rarely meet that amount. I don't drink milk as I am lactose intolerent. Just curious if any other women have heard this? Has anybody tried to up their calcium and see a positive impact? Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 2 TUMS with calcium every night, partly because I seem to perpetually have a stomach ache, and partly for the calcium. I'm lactose intolerant too! Altho I eat too much dairy.... (thus the stomach ache I suspect). Anyway, I've been losing weight, I don't think that's the only reason, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you are going to take a calcium tablet make sure it is calcium citrate with vit D. Your body absorbs the calcium citrate better than the other types. Also your body has to have the vit D in combination to absorb the calcium. Other types of calcium tablets tend to go through you and are eliminated instead of absorbed completely.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It's good for you to take a calcium supplement, but Citracal is going to do you a lot more good than Tums. Tums gets all used up (chemically) in reaction with your stomach acid. So you don't get the calcium boost you'd get if you took a supplement that can withstand your stomach and make it into your intestine, where your body absorbs nutrients.
  • becki101_4
    becki101_4 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant as well, and as a result have cut dairy completely out of my diet. When I discovered I was lactose intolerant I started tracking my calcium intake through MFP, and noticed I was only getting about 60 - 70% of what I needed. I started taking a vitamin (500 mg calcium with 125 IU Vitamin D) because I wasn't getting enough through soy milk and other foods. I don't know if it's helped my weight loss, it certainly hasn't harmed it. And I feel much better about my calcium intake now.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Looking at my reports on calcium I haven't even been getting 30% of my daily goal. My Mom did tell me about the Citrical with Vit D to take so I started that last night. I don't drink the soy milk because it has an increased amount of estrogen. My mother had breast cancer so I try to limit my estrogen levels and is another reason I should be taking calcium supplements as well. Thanks again for those who responded!