Unknown Weight gain FRUSTRATED

Options
Hey all! I'm sure there's another post like this somewhere but I can't find it. Also, I feel everyone's individual so I'm asking again here.

I used to weigh a steady 125. Maintained that weight from 20-29. Lowest weight was 115 way too skinny and I was notSo anything below 120 is not natural for me. I'm healthiest/happiest at 130. In the past year I have turned 30 but otherwise my lifestyle is the same or healthier. We are trying to get pregnant so weight isn't a huge priority, but I also don't want to get heavier and then get pregnant.

I am currently 5'7, 145. :/ more noticeable body fat around my tummy and butt than usual despite active lifestyle. I have been eating anywhere from 1300-1600 calories a day. I have a jawbone and I average 15000 steps on regular days. When I run or exercise I average 20-25,000 steps a day. I would say I am pretty active daily. I run half marathons, but have a low mileage training plan in average 20 miles/week. I weight train 2-3 times/week unless I'm not training for half then it's 3-5 times a week; and am a coach at the high school level do I know how to develop a solid training plan. I'm definitely not perfect in my diet or exercise every single day... But to be GAINING weight slowly and steadily in the past year (125-145) without eating junk or sitting on my butt does not make sense.

My measurements have gone up too so it's not just muscle weight.
I did my body fat and muscle mass a few weeks ago and my body fat is 22%, muscles mass
Was 38% . My measurements are 36-24-39. Clothes are more snug.

I saw a Registered Dietician in August after gaining 10 lbs in three months. I feel like forums are good for feedback but a RD (NOT personal trainer with nutritional advice but an actual medical dietician). I was lifting pretty heavily during that time and was still just 138 so she said it was likely muscle mass. My Max had increased on all major lifts so I was ok with that but now I'm not so sure. When I was 125, and we wanted to start a family I was ok with easing up on my training even if that meant gaining a few pounds. But 20 lbs that I cannot honestly account for depresses me.

The reason I go into all this detail is because I'm
Sure I'll get a variety of "you're eating too much" type responses. I do not think I'm
Eating too much but maybe some info on quality of my cities. I cannot go below 1200 calories without causing ovulation issues. Also, I am so active that I would probably pass out on less than 1200.

Any advice welcomed. I need: any insight on unexplained weight gain, any advice on losing it(I've never had to lose weight in my life!) and any ideas that may be causing it.. I am doing some serious tweaking of my diet and exercise. Meal planning todayI monitor my stats frequently.

Thanks!

Replies

• ltruns
    ltruns Posts: 21
    Options
    Also my BMR is 1410.. But that's just the calories needed to survive in a vegetative state. Which I am not.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and aside from the incomplete and blank days, I can tell you don't weigh your food. If you're not weighing your food, then yes, you are eating more than you think.

Weigh your food.
    Log everything you eat, every single day consistently.

Do this, and you'll see the scale shift the other direction.
  • ltruns
    Options
    I dont have time to weigh my food. I work over 70 hrs a week and many people dont weigh or measure food but are still able to lose/maintain weight. At my activity levels I don't see why I'm gaining so seemingly quickly. I eat very small portions and enter by either nutrition labels and exact portion sizes or based off my registered dietitians charts for foods. She never mentioned weighing foods as a necessity for weight loss. I am trying to be more consistent about entering info though.

Thanks for the tips!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications or anything of the sort? Some meds are notorious for weight gain. If you are positively sure you are logging accurately, maybe you have hypothyroidism, going to the doctor would be the best thing, or a nutrionist
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I dont have time to weigh my food. I work over 70 hrs a week and many people dont weigh or measure food but are still able to lose/maintain weight. At my activity levels I don't see why I'm gaining so seemingly quickly. I eat very small portions and enter by either nutrition labels and exact portion sizes or based off my registered dietitians charts for foods. She never mentioned weighing foods as a necessity for weight loss. I am trying to be more consistent about entering info though.

Thanks for the tips!

It doesn't matter that other people don't weight their food but still lose weight, what matters is the system you have been using is not working. Some people are GREAT at eyeballing portions, and others of us are not. I'm horrible at eyeballing!

If you don't weight your food, then your portions are most likely bigger than you think they are, which is probably why you have gained weight. The only way around that is to intentionally make those portions smaller or to weigh the food for accuracy.

It does not take long to pop food on the scale. I also work long hours and have a lot of other stuff taking up my time, and I weigh my food because it has become habit and I don't want to gain my weight back.

Go buy yourself a cheap scale and give it a try. :smile:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring really doesn't take that long.

Have you ruled out medical conditions like hypothyroidism? It couldn't hurt to make a doctor's appointment and get a full blood panel drawn.
  • ltruns
    Options
    I already measure my food, and have a solid knowledge and back ground in portion sizes due to my exercise science and nutrition classes from my undergraduate. Aside from a few nights a week of not eating home prepared foods I generally know exactly what I'm putting in my mouth and why. That's why I'm frustrated. for example: tonight's dinner was 3-4 oz of baked chicken. I know it was 3-4 oz because it was half the breast or, cooked the size of my palm excluding fingers/thumb, or approximately as big and the same thickness as a deck of cards. I measured my oil I cooked with; olive oil which is good for healthy fats. I measured out my broccoli my pesto, my Parmesan. So I don't understand the difference between measuring and weighing. .25 cups of broccoli SHOULD have the same amount of calories whether you use measuring cups or a scale... Right?
    My sabra hummus snack is portioned out at 2 oz cups, so should I weight that too? My almond milk is in 8 oz little cartons, a kind almond bar is individually wrapped and clearly labeled..

Also, the only liquid calories I take in is coffee or spark. I keep a liter of water in the gym with me and fill it up twice a day.
    I rarely eat sweets, and almost always eat complex non refined carbs except in my coffee. (8 -11 oz/day)
    Maybe my biggest enemy is consistency.. But my metabolism used to be able to take a couple days of slacking with out being a food nazi. For budget and health reasons we only eat out about 3 times a week. We eat primarily organic bc of health convictions and trying to get pregnant. I am more curious about the sudden inability of my metabolism to keep up, when before it was a furnace. If anything, my portions are smaller and my choices are cleaner since my mid 20s bc we have more money to spend on quality food.

Can age really affect metabolism that much?
    Can stress affect what your body holds onto?
    Can clomid, a fertility drug that affects estrogen receptors in your brain affect metabolism?
    How can I offset these life changes?

I will be working on being more consistent with input and portions.
    I always eat every 2-3 hrs usually no more than 300 calories (If I go over 300 I usually don't eat until 3-4 hrs later)
    I try to over input calories to compensate for error.
    I do notogy exercise on here, only through my Jawbone UP. On there it says my active burn is always 16-2100 calories a day and I I take at/under that usually. I cannot cut calories more than 12-1300 calories bc it affects ovulation and chances of pregnancy. Which again, is a primary health goal. But I don't want to get fat while trying to get pregnant.

I also acknowledge than no one on here is a dr and registered dietician, and so your input is just helpful and appreciated.
    I have been curious about hypothyroidism but have not been tested but will try to at my annual exam when they run my blood panels.

Thanks, and keep it coming. Discussion is part of the solution.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    (1) Can age really affect metabolism that much?
    (2) Can stress affect what your body holds onto?
    (3) Can clomid, a fertility drug that affects estrogen receptors in your brain affect metabolism?

(1) Metabolism definitely takes a digger when you hit your 30's. Can't put a number on it, 'tho
    (2) Certainly. The correlation between cortisol (a stress hormone) and weight gain is well established
    (3) Sorry, don't know a doggone thing about that one. If your weight gain is highly correlated with when you started on the clomid, then I'd start asking some hard questions.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Same situation for me. I have gained 30 pounds last year and never been overweight in my life. The last 5 weeks have been carefully watching what I eat and excersing and it is making no difference seem to be struggling just to maintain and it makes no sense, scientifically. Cut out sugar and high carbs and stuck under 1400 so I should have been loosing?

I been looking into adrenal fatigue and leptin resetting as had my throid checked and no issue there except I was really low in iron.
    So very confused at the moment.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    .25 cups of broccoli SHOULD have the same amount of calories whether you use measuring cups or a scale... Right?
    Nope. Just like "about 10 chips," or "1/4 cup of almonds" both do not weigh 28 ounces as stated on the packages, Weighed food usually renders less food then the package indicates. Measuring instead of weighing can kill a calorie deficit.

It seems to me this is an either/or situation: either you are eating more than you think you are OR you have a medical issue that needs attention.

With all due respect, since you are convinced that you are an expert of those portions and that you are not eating more than you think you are, then I advise you to go to the doctor for a checkup.

The best of luck to you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me, and I was in your shoes a while ago. Not completely sedetary lifestyle, but nowhere as active as it was 10 years ago, no or very little junk food, slow weight gain, not enough to make me overweight officially, enough ti make me unhappy and wanting to lose some. Use a food scale and start logging everything. Yes, you are slightly underestimating calories. No, you are not terribly wrong, as you have not gained 500 lbs. But, no you are not guessing as right as you wish, sorry. Simple as this.Also, yes clomid causes weight gain, so this is even more reason to be careful about counting calories.
  • ltruns
    Options
    Just an update:

I have again seen a registered dietician for this. I've gone up to 150, and in the two months+ since the post, I've increased my daily activity by 6 miles/day (jawbone) I've run a half marathon (training included), I ate 30 days on the whole30 (no sugar, grains, beans, or dairy) and I've measured my food on a scale. I've also had my clomid dosage increased. For the record, the registered dietician laughed when I asked her if I needed to measure everything on a scale vs. Measuring cups/table spoons etc. She said "why measure an English muffin when the nutrition label clearly states the nutrition facts? I have still measured a few things, but again, she doesn't see the need except for specific purposes (body building, or extreme obesity in people who have NO concept of portion sizes) She states that the ADA and FDA put out portion tips like "the size of your fist, cell phone or a deck of cards" so that people can realistically apply portion control to their lifestyle, that depending on a food scale or whatever wouldn't be practical for the sane general public.

Anyways, also, she stated that rapid weight gain with no lifestyle changes almost always indicates a HORMONAL problem. Something no scale, or calculator can understand. So, while well meaning people on forums just easily contribute "you're eating wrong"- I encourage anyone with rapid, unexplained weight gain to see a doctor, or registered dietician (NOT your gyms nutritionist, they don't have a degree or qualifications close to an RD)

I don't have the luxury of cutting calories less than my TDEE due to us ttc and taking fertility meds. But, all in all, I can safely assume (under medical care) that the weight gain is hormonal (clomid raises estrogen, the fat storing hormone in women) so in order to maintain in having to seriously be vigilant with nutrition and constantly changing my cardio/weights to keep my metabolism high.

Anyways, if unexplained weight gain is an issue for you- I'd encourage a full blood panel and time with your doctor or registered dietician in your area. There's too much that goes into biochem for some individuals to simply say "just eat less"
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just an update:

I have again seen a registered dietician for this. I've gone up to 150, and in the two months+ since the post, I've increased my daily activity by 6 miles/day (jawbone) I've run a half marathon (training included), I ate 30 days on the whole30 (no sugar, grains, beans, or dairy) and I've measured my food on a scale. I've also had my clomid dosage increased. For the record, the registered dietician laughed when I asked her if I needed to measure everything on a scale vs. Measuring cups/table spoons etc. She said "why measure an English muffin when the nutrition label clearly states the nutrition facts? I have still measured a few things, but again, she doesn't see the need except for specific purposes (body building, or extreme obesity in people who have NO concept of portion sizes) She states that the ADA and FDA put out portion tips like "the size of your fist, cell phone or a deck of cards" so that people can realistically apply portion control to their lifestyle, that depending on a food scale or whatever wouldn't be practical for the sane general public.

Anyways, also, she stated that rapid weight gain with no lifestyle changes almost always indicates a HORMONAL problem. Something no scale, or calculator can understand. So, while well meaning people on forums just easily contribute "you're eating wrong"- I encourage anyone with rapid, unexplained weight gain to see a doctor, or registered dietician (NOT your gyms nutritionist, they don't have a degree or qualifications close to an RD)

I don't have the luxury of cutting calories less than my TDEE due to us ttc and taking fertility meds. But, all in all, I can safely assume (under medical care) that the weight gain is hormonal (clomid raises estrogen, the fat storing hormone in women) so in order to maintain in having to seriously be vigilant with nutrition and constantly changing my cardio/weights to keep my metabolism high.

Anyways, if unexplained weight gain is an issue for you- I'd encourage a full blood panel and time with your doctor or registered dietician in your area. There's too much that goes into biochem for some individuals to simply say "just eat less"

I would suggest seeing a different dietitian. Based on what you told us, she doesn't seem qualified to be a registered dietitian.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips!
    So you don't have time to spend a few minutes a day weighing your food. If you want to lose weight you need to know how much your eating. If you can't be bothered well that's up to you it all comes down to do you want to do it or not. No one can force you but there are no miracles you just need to do the work

Also get a new dietitian that advice is dodgy to say the least
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Irrespective of medication, age or stress . ALL the weight of your body entered via your mouth [Full Stop]

If your EAT More Energy than you use you will Gain Weight

If your EAT Less Energy than you use you will Lose Weight

So, if you are gaining weight you ARE eating more than you Need - simple maths.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Best advice I have taken...lift weights, get toned.
  • weebeasties1974
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when I really stepped upped my weight training, even though my goal was to get stronger and more toned but not to get bigger. I especially noticed a size difference in my thighs and butt, which started to make my clothing tight. I saw a sports nutritionist who told me not to fear gaining weight when it happened for this reason, and told me to eat even more around my workout time, but that did not give me any comfort. The only thing that is helping me is to be even more careful with portion sizes (and get adequate protein) and to back off a bit on the weights, especially leg press/squats, in favor of more cardio and lower settings on the machines. I'm 39.
  • ltruns
    Options
    Actually no, the best advice I've heard is don't take to Internet forums for individual fitness advice. I haven't eaten enough calories to gain 5 pounds this steadily. I am a track, cross country and powerlifting coach and follow the same training plans as most my athletes.

As for the dietician, she has been at a research hospital associated with our university for
    20 years... So I'll take her credentials over yours. If you check the
    ADA website eatright.org you'll see similar articles and position papers.

I'm not just frustrated bc "I've gained" my bmi is still within the normal range. My muscle mass (lab tested) is 37%, and my body fat is 22%. So, I have my full range of stats, and my calorie intake, monitored by a medical professional is within 1400-1700/day depending on activity level. I will not, not should anyone, eat under 1400 calories while running 35 miles per week. I was concerned with the amount in a short time that no calorie consumption would account for. Now, I'm astonished to even still be discussing the validity of the lab results/RDs insight on a forum after having spent three hours a month at a research hospital going through hormone/blood testing/metabolic testing.

Also, it is common, as per my reproductive endocrinologist to see weight gain of 5-10 lbs while undergoing fertility treatments. Also, so long as my weight is within a healthy range, obsessive calorie restriction should not be a fertility patients main goals. Considering progesterone, estrogen and fertility meds are all known to cause water retention, bloating, and weight gain. So, again, unless you have seen my blood panels, my medication list and the side effects, and have been around for my workouts, please do not just say "it's what going into your mouth". That is far to narrow and uneducated a perspective.

My goal in responding, initially and updating the post was to say that SOMETIMES rapid, unexplainedq weight gain CAN be indicitive of medical issues or hormonal imbalances. I'd hate to see your responses to anyone suffering from undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Anyways, I'm going to continue under the advice of MY medical team, you continue on in your own routes that have proven successful. When I'm off the strong meds I'm sure I'll have no problem maintaining my normal weight as I have for my whole life.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Just an update:

I would suggest seeing a different dietitian. Based on what you told us, she doesn't seem qualified to be a registered dietitian.

I would agree. It sounds like she does know what she's talking about, especially that stuff about not "measuring" food.

You don't measure an English muffin, you weight it because what's in the package is not always the same as what the portion on the package says. It sounds like she doesn't know the difference between weighing and measuring.

And the weight gain without lifestyle changes almost always indicates hormones? Nope. most times I'd say not. You can THINK you are doing portion control correctly but most times that's the real issue- underestimating calorie intake. However, OP, it's good that you will go to the doctor to have your hormones checked and that you encourage others to do the same.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

My goal in responding, initially and updating the post was to say that SOMETIMES rapid, unexplainedq weight gain CAN be indicitive of medical issues or hormonal imbalances. I'd hate to see your responses to anyone suffering from undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Anyways, I'm going to continue under the advice of MY medical team, you continue on in your own routes that have proven successful. When I'm off the strong meds I'm sure I'll have no problem maintaining my normal weight as I have for my whole life.
    Of course sometimes weight gain is caused by medical issues, but most times it is not. I'm glad you clarified what you were trying to say because what you now is different from what you said in your update.

Also, if you didn't want to hear what "internet people" had to say, why'd you pose the question in the first place?

Finally, just because she has been a RD for 20 years and you are a power lifting coach and fitness instructor, does not mean either of you have all the answers.

The best of luck to you.