How much protein a day should I aim for?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm particularly curious how the protein would be turned into carbs.
    With this, I would guess:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

However, of course, deficit trumps all :).
    And worrying that you shouldn't eat protein instead of carbs because it is converted to a carb of course seems a bit silly :).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm particularly curious how the protein would be turned into carbs.
    With this, I would guess:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

However, of course, deficit trumps all :).
    And worrying that you shouldn't eat protein instead of carbs because it is converted to a carb of course seems a bit silly :).
    Just a tad,
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE using one of the many calculators online. Calculate your body fat percentage to figure out your 'lean mass'. Eat around .8-1g of protein per pound of lean mass.

Protein is incredibly important to keeping you full and satisfied and retaining muscle as you lose weight.
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of confusing signals from different schools of nutrition on this topic. 1200 is a bit low, but for 5'2" and deficit its reasonable, A few things you want to NOT do is
    1) reduce fat intake to 0, - Although you might see instant results, in the long run it has a devastating effect on LDL/HDL cholesterol levels.
    2) Cut or increase carbs by more then 5% a day. (i could write a whole book on this) short version is Keeps energy levels higher, and hunger down.
    3) Using Proteins as your primary metabolic pathway. You know when your doing this by the color of your urine. (the purpose of eating protein is to make recovery quick while building muscle, SO if your only sore for a day(or less) post workout, your getting enough protein.
    4) Forgetting to drink enough water.

Id set your macros personally to 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein if your not working out to failures(where muscles stop working)
    or 30% fat 25% carbs 45% protein if your doing heavy lifting.

Some good sources of proteins, are pea soup, kale salads, PLAIN greek yogurt, milk, I easily hit 190g a day and only do 1 or 2 shakes
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Or, you know 1 g per pound of lean body mass, which comes down to about the same amount which is what everyone here suggests..
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat over 1 gram per body weight, more if I am eating back burned calories. There really isn't a downside to eating too much protein (within reason, I don't think you are supposed to exceed 35% of your over all calories in protein)

You are totally allowed to eat more than 35% of your overall calories in protein... Just make sure you are getting in lots of fibre too.

Not according to my doctor. Excessive protein can cause a buildup of toxic ketones that can harm your kidneys.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Don't take extra protein, you don't need it. If you are just trying to lose weight, the extra protein that you would take in would be turned to carbs and FAT.

How can protein turn into carbs?????? Where do people get this stuff???

My best advice, stay away from asking questions on here as most of the time the answers are wrong. I would look at fitness websites/ studies where they are written by professionals.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

My best advice, stay away from asking questions on here as most of the time the answers are wrong. I would look at fitness websites/ studies where they are written by professionals.
    I've already linked to the information.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
    Not according to my doctor. Excessive protein can cause a buildup of toxic ketones that can harm your kidneys.
    I have not seen any evidence this is the case UNLESS you already have kidney issues.
    If you do, then sure, avoid lots of protein.
    If my doctor told me this, I'd be asking for some backup showing it to be the case.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Don't take extra protein, you don't need it. If you are just trying to lose weight, the extra protein that you would take in would be turned to carbs and FAT.

No, there are some very knowledgeable people on here, but there is also a host of real dummies.
    You have to winnow the wheat from the chaff.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I have not seen any evidence this is the case UNLESS you already have kidney issues.
    If you do, then sure, avoid lots of protein.
    If my doctor told me this, I'd be asking for some backup showing it to be the case.

I have a progressive, "young" (as doctors go, in his late 30s), fit doctor that I trust; if I have to start demanding references on everything that he advises me, it is time to find a new doctor. I choose to follow his advice, but there are certainly other sources that advise otherwise.
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ketoacidosis only happens if your body in unable to produce insulin, The main thing is high levels of uric acid(from using the protein to form ATP) in the blood stream is hard on the kidneys, + the effort of holding in high levels of proteins,, and the calcium lose. But generally speaking if you urine is clear to light light yellow your OK.
  • jasonscarlata1
    Options
    You can not turn protien into carbs and fat. This is a terrible piece of advice and you are obviously either misinformed or pulling your facts from thin air.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis turns protein into glucose which is functionally turning protein into carbs.
  • jasonscarlata1
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is not a process that includes exclusively protien. Plus, you do not get affected by it unless you are hypoglycemic. Gluconeogenesis is just our body's defense mechanism against low blood sugar. Also, does not target protien as much as other fatty acids.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i was told its 1g per lb of LEAN body mass. so figure out your BF percentage and subtract that number from 100 and then eat somewhere around there. I never hit mine. but i still try, and track.

e.g if you're 200 lbs with 35% body fat, strive for around 130g of protein. though i imagine its probably more like 100 g because bones and water have mass, too.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is not a process that includes exclusively protien. Plus, you do not get affected by it unless you are hypoglycemic. Gluconeogenesis is just our body's defense mechanism against low blood sugar. Also, does not target protien as much as other fatty acids.

It causes protein to be utilized like a carb which is one claim you were objecting to was it not?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am an average female and I aim for 100 grams of protein per day.
  • jasonscarlata1
    Options
    Okay- I am going to go against the normal internet practices of making this long winded and extremely convoluted.

READ the posts above. Tell me that the claim that started this whole side conversation was 1) accurate or 2) helpful. Then do me a favor and put down FLEX magazine which is telling you this bull about Gluconeogenesis so you purchase one of their advertiser's new blend of Casein Protien and read about this on a reputable medical/health website. A good place to start would be the Mayo Clinic's website or even about.com.

On another note- I did not graduate Sloth Astronaut School to be questioned on my accuracy. Thank you.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Okay- I am going to go against the normal internet practices of making this long winded and extremely convoluted.

READ the posts above. Tell me that the claim that started this whole side conversation was 1) accurate or 2) helpful. Then do me a favor and put down FLEX magazine which is telling you this bull about Gluconeogenesis so you purchase one of their advertiser's new blend of Casein Protien and read about this on a reputable medical/health website. A good place to start would be the Mayo Clinic's website or even about.com.

On another note- I did not graduate Sloth Astronaut School to be questioned on my accuracy. Thank you.

You seem delightful and I'm glad you've been able to carry out a debate without ad hominems.

Good luck with your fitness goals.