Basic kettlebell question

Options
Kettlebells intrigue me. I have done several videos, Jillian's RI30, 30DS, NMTZ; Jackie Warners Circuit Training, Fast Start, and Pyramids; and several others. I use weights between 3 and 12 pounds for them depending on the exercises and the length of each exercise. Now I really want to do kettlebells but am having a hard time finding information on a starting size. I bought a 15# one but have not tried it so far. It seems like it might be heavy for one armed moves. I have watched/studied two DVDs to learn form and get ready but neither talks about a size range. I think I am reasonably strong and have no more shoulder/joint issues than the average person. I want to do this right and not get hurt or discouraged before I get started. Any ideas on the proper size to start with?

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Heavy enough that you can handle it. Some exercises are going to require a heavier one, some will require a lighter one.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    In the videos I have studied they do not change kettlebell weight during the workout. But it seems you are suggesting I need to purchase a range of them - any ideas on what that range would be?
  • judykat7
    Options
    Was sure hoping for a bit more help.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you have a 15 pounder - get a 10 to go with it. That's enough to start you off.

If it seems some exercises are easy with the 15 - consider adding a 20.

I have a 5 and 10 and they are enough for me for now. I'm still very beginner, but I mostly use the 10.
  • judykat7
    Options
    Thank you!
  • stuckinfatjeans
    Options
    Find a class-I just started kettlebell and I love it and I am not super fit and I can swing 25 lb. If you go to light it is to easy to lose your form and it is important to do it right to reduce injury-hope this helps
  • judykat7
    Options
    Thanks - but a class is not an option. I just can't see me pressing 25# one handed over my head for some reason. Swings - yes but the one handed presses and deadlifts not so much. Maybe I am not strong as I would like to think!
  • stuckinfatjeans
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but..... it is all in the swing and the momentum... I am NOT strong but with the support of instructors I can do it. When I first entered the class I was overwhelmed and thought there is no way- I almost left but 4 weeks later I am using 25 lbs. It is amazing!!! I am doing things that I never thought possible-but I learned "how" to do it--I realize getting/finding a class is not an option for everyone- but my instructor did say that the Jillian Michaels DVD on kettlebell is really bad..... hope this helps
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can use 35# for swings but I think an 18 for Turkish getups. You will have to find what works for each exercise
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started with a 15lb and use a 20lb now. I still do 15lbs for turkish get ups.
    Just remember to really use your hips for momentum when doing swings.
  • judykat7
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should give it a go with my 15# and go from there - maybe won't need lighter, just heavier in a bit. Just didn't want to hurt myself and feel ridiculous if everyone else knew I should start with 7 or 10#. I did hear that Jillians Kettlebell DVD is a wreck for beginners. The two I plan on using are Sarah Lurie Iron Core and Brooks Benton. So excited!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i used a 8kg ( 16 lb ) for only the first few weeks - I moved to the 12kg ( 24 ) very quickly - that was a good weight for most things for quite a while - I still use it for cardio sessions where I`ll do non stop moved for 20 mins. But for strength I use a 16kg ( 33lb ) for turkish gets and warm ups for other drills - I can clean and press the 60lb, swing the 95lb and snatch the 53lb -

It depends what you want to use the bell for - for someone who is not very strong and wants a weight for cardio workouts - the 15 is probably ok
  • judykat7
    Options
    I did the IronCore Volume 1 tonight with the 15#. It was fine and think I will need a heavier one after the first month. Had a little trouble with rack position and cleans hurting my wrist. Not my wrist movement just banging my wrist. First time though and I am guessing some practice will solve that. Thanks guys for your input.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    For some movements there will always be a bit of an impact on your wrist. If this is uncomfortable for you, there are companies that make kettlebell arm guards.
  • valchemist
    Options
    I have these wrist guards and they are great.
    http://www.amazon.com/KettleGuard-Kettlebell-Wrist-Guard/dp/B0043KSTJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393847743&sr=8-2&keywords=kettlebell+wrist+guards

I have the sarah lurie iron core set. Started with that and it was a great way to start. But it got boring after a while. I like the paul katami kettlebell for beginners. there is a tutorial that is a workout in and of itself, and the actual workout is pretty challenging (considering it is labeled beginners). other good videos are anything by lauren brooks. I also have amy dixon's raise some bell. it's good, but wait a little while to get that.

also, I started with 15 lbs and quickly moved up to 20 for swings. then 25, and now I swing 35. it happens pretty quick (all in a few months). I still use the 15 pound for certain moves, but mostly that one sits idle.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing and have just found this:
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/beginner-kettlebell-training-video/?partner=huff&mtype=5&utm_source=huff

Unfortunately as I'm in the office I can't watch it just yet, but thought I'd pass it on!
    Lindsay