Working so hard with no success! Gets me depressed!

Options
I weighed myself first thing this a.m. excited and anxious to see what my hard work and effort had done for me this week. I was shocked and amazed to see that I’ve gained 3 pounds!!!!! Why have I not even lost a single pound or even ½ a pound on this type of schedule/workout routine/ diet? I just don’t understand why I’m working so hard and seeing no improvements!!! It’s so hard to stay motivated when I work so hard and don’t even lose ½ a pound after so much hard work, sweat, and effort…. Please Help!!! I don’t know what to do and I don’t want to give up!! I need encouragement and advice! :,( Below you will find my extreme diet and weight loss schedule. I use myfitnesspal and fitbit together to try to achieve my weight loss goal of 20 pounds. I need some serious help! Can someone give me some good pointers? what am I doing wrong?

Day 1: 2/24/14
Gender: Female Age: 28 Height: 5’3” Start weight: 145.0 pounds took thyroid medicine at 700
• At 8:00 I ate ¾ cups of Special K Protein cereal with Chobani non-fat blueberry Greek Yogurt 5.3oz.
o Between 8am and noon I had consumed 32 ounces of water.
• I ate lunch at 12:00. For lunch I ate a 4.0 ounce boneless pork loin chop and 12 ounces of Szechaun Asparagus (steam’able frozen package).
o I also took a multivitamin with my lunch.
o Between 12:00 and 3:30 I consumed another 32 ounces of water.
• At 3:30 I ate about 1 cup of fresh blueberries sugar free jello.
• At 5:00 I went to the gym and did a run/speed walk interval on the treadmill for 45 minutes. Then I jogged 10 flights of stairs. Then I did 100 crunches.
• I went home and ate ½ a cup add water only pancake with 2 tbsp of peanut butter and only 1tbs of syrup. I also had two over easy eggs and an 8 ounce glass of water.
 When I went to bed this night, Fitbit concludes I completed 9,346 steps, climbed 10 floors, traveled a distance of 4.25 miles, burned 2,219 calories, and consumed 87 fl oz of water. Fitbit calculated a total calorie intake of 1,045 in and 2,219 calories burned throughout the day. Fitbit calculated a total amount of sleep this day as 6 hours and 3 min of very restless sleep, I was awake 2x in the night. (my 2 Y/O had to go potty )

Day 2: 2/25/2014 I took my thyroid medicine at 7:00.
• At 8:00 I drank 16 ounces of water.
• 8:30 I ate ¾ cups of Special K Protein cereal with Chobani non-fat strawberry Greek Yogurt 5.3oz. .
• I ate lunch at 12:00. For lunch I ate Seasoned Steamers Mediterranean Blend by Green Giant.
o I took my multivitamin with my lunch
o Between 12:00 and 3:00 I consumed 32 ounces of water.
• At 3:00 I ate about 1 cup of fresh frozen peaches with stevia sprinkled on top.
• At 4:00 I ate 1 individual wrapped low moisture part- skim mozzarella string cheese by crystal farms.
• At 5:00 I went to the gym and used the elliptical and did a full body cardio workout for 45 minutes (5 min warm-up/ 10 min cool down.) Then I used the Helix, Helix’s patented motion tones your butt, core and inner/outer thighs better than old-fashioned cardio machines. After completing the Helix I did a speed walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I went home and I did P90x Ab ripper X.
• For dinner I ate peanut butter toast with ½ a banana sliced on top of it.
 When I went to bed this night, Fitbit concludes I completed 11,495 steps, climbed 3 floors, traveled a distance of 4.75 miles, burned 2,459 calories, and consumed 88 fl oz of water. Fitbit calculated a total calorie intake of 1,050 in and 2,459 calories burned throughout the day. Fitbit calculated a total amount of sleep this day as 6 hours and 9 min of semi restless sleep, I was awake 1x in the night. (I had to take my two year old to go potty. )

Day 3: 2/26/14 I took my thyroid medicine at 7:00
• At 8:30 I ate 1 cup of Kellogg’s Raisin Bran Two Scoops Cereal with Chobani non-fat blueberry Greek Yogurt 5.3oz
• I ate lunch at 12:00. For lunch I ate steam’ables Green Beans (only ¾ of the bag instead of the whole bag this time.) with salt and pepper. I also had a grilled chicken wrap. I was pretty hungry today so I thought I’d eat more than just a veggie medley for lunch so I added the chicken wrap from DQ at about 1230.
o I also had a sm.Strawberry Banana Fruit smoothie that I drank from 1230 to 3:00.
o Between 12:00 and 4:30 I consumed another 32 ounces of water.
• At 5:00 I went to the gym and used the elliptical and did a full body cardio workout for 45 minutes (5 min warm-up/ 10 min cool down.) Then I used the Helix for 10 minutes, Helix’s patented motion tones your butt, core and inner/outer thighs better than old-fashioned cardio machines. I went home and I did P90x Ab ripper X (I struggled a lot with this 15 minute workout routine agian, I honestly had to stop in the middle and do simple crunches on the parts that I couldn’t perform as the instructor did on the dvd. But hey, I still completed 15 minutes of a variable Ab exercise. I hope to improve after a day of rest from Ab exercises tomorrow. I still feel I did better than I did yesterday.)
• For dinner I ate Baked Tilapia and a small iceberg lettuce salad with lite raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
 Fitbit concludes I completed 9,335 steps, climbed 7 floors, traveled a distance of 3.88 miles, burned 2,254 calories, and consumed 90 fl oz of water. Fitbit calculated a total calorie intake of 1,010 in and 2,254 calories burned throughout the day. Fitbit calculated a total amount of sleep this day as 6 hours and 30 min of very restless sleep. (I was awake twice taking my two year old to the bathroom and restless all night.)

Day 4: 2/27/2014 I took my thyroid medicine at 7:00.
• 8:00 I ate a banana,
• At 1030 I had a bowl of Kellogg’s Special K fruit and yogurt cereal with 2% milk.
o So far today I’ve only consumed about 16 ounces of water. (1:20pm)
• I finally got to eat at about 3:00pm I ate 2 cups of homemade fried rice with very little soy sauce.
o I took my multivitamin at this time.
• Today is my day of rest due to a busy schedule so I will not be exercising at the gym today. I will walk, but no intense cardio workout.
• For Dinner I ate: 1 cup strawberries and 1 cup of baby tomatoes and 1 piece of grilled chicken
When I went to bed this night, Fitbit concludes I completed 4,540 steps, climbed 2 floors, traveled a distance of 1.86 miles, burned 1,900 calories, and consumed 51 fl oz of water. Fitbit calculated a total calorie intake of 1,290 in and 1,900 calories burned throughout the day. Fitbit calculated a total amount of sleep this day as 5 hours and 47 min of semi restless sleep, I was awake 2x in the night. (I had to take my two year old to go potty. )

Day 5: 2/28/14 I took thyroid meds at 730.
• At 8:30 I ate 1 cup of Kellogg’s Raisin Bran Two Scoops Cereal with 2% reduced fat milk.
• I ate lunch at 12:00. For lunch I ate salad with light ranch dressing and fat free cottage cheese
o Between 12:00 and 4:30 I consumed another 24 ounces of water.
• At 5:00 I went to the gym and used the elliptical cardio workout for 35 minutes. Then I used the treadmill and did a speed walk for 40 minutes.
• For dinner I ate a 7.0 oz flat iron steak, ¼ cup of fat free cottage cheese and a small side salad with light ranch.
Fitbit concludes I completed 9,921 steps, climbed 2 floors, traveled a distance of 4.11 miles, burned 2,318 calories, and consumed 72 fl oz of water. Fitbit calculated a total calorie intake of 1,310 in and 2,318 calories burned throughout the day. I forgot to allow fitbit to calculate my sleep pattern, but if I take a guess, I would say I got about 7 hours of sleep and only woke up one time.

Day 6: 3/1/2014 I took my thyroid medicine at 7:00.
• I was very bad this morning and I got really busy at the hospital and didn’t eat breakfast.
• At 1200 I took 5 slices of Deli Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, 3 slices of swiss cheese, and french’s classic yellow mustard (0 calories), put it all together and made little rolls out of them for a healthy lunch choice.
o So far today I’ve consumed about 50 ounces of water. (1:20pm)
• I had a snack at about 300, I ate about 1/3 of a cup of Honey Bunches of Oats Honey roasted cereal with 2% reduced fat milk.
• I finally got to eat dinner at about 8 I ate Chunk Light Tuna (in water), baked tilapia fillet, shrimp, and a claussen kosher dill sandwich slice pickle, with classic mustered.
o I took my multivitamin at this time.

At 230 I worked out in physical therapy and did a run/jog interval on the treadmill for 45 minutes (5mph). I got a patient and had to stop for about an hour, then started up again for another hour at (5mph). After my run, I slowed down to a fast pace (3.6mph) walk for another 30 minutes.
When I went to bed this night, Fitbit concludes I completed 16,045 steps, climbed 3 floors, traveled a distance of 7.39 miles, burned 2,813 calories, and consumed 68 fl oz of water. Fitbit calculated a total calorie intake of 1,390 in and 2,813 calories burned throughout the day. Fitbit calculated a total amount of sleep this day as 7 hours and 8 min of very restless sleep, I was awake 3x in the night. Sleeping at a hospital doesn’t allow the best sleep schedule or comfort either.

Replies

• ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're not seeing results as quickly as you'd like! Weight loss is so frustrating! I've had 4 kids and lost many pounds over the years. Just because you didn't lose this week, doesn't mean you are.doing anything wrong. If you are starting a new fitness program it is likely you are holding onto some fluid in your muscles, this is temporary and will come off in a few weeks as your body gets adjusted. Some women also gain several pounds towards the end of their cycle, that too will come off. It looks like you are making some healthy choices. I recently had a plateau for a month and realized that I probably don't burn as many calories running as most people do because my body has become very efficient. I am not eating back my exercise calories and so far it is working. My advise is just keep up the healthy eating and exercise and you should start seeing some changes, if not in weight, then in measurements. Good luck
  • Laura_amie
    Laura_amie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say this to me. But maybe you aren't eating enough? You're doing a lot of exercise! Work out your bmr then deduct the amount of calories a week from that to lose what you want a week then aim that as your net cals!
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sleep is really important to weight loss, but I agree with the others, it's kind of a juggle to figure out what works.

Also I know others have posted that fitbit (as well as mfp) tend to overestimate calories burned, also try a food scale so you are getting the most accurate information to input!

Keep up the work! You are doing great!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sleep is really important to weight loss, but I agree with the others, it's kind of a juggle to figure out what works.

Also I know others have posted that fitbit (as well as mfp) tend to overestimate calories burned, also try a food scale so you are getting the most accurate information to input!

Keep up the work! You are doing great!

This. Depending on if you eat back all your exercise calories, you may be overestimating calories burned and eating too many calories. Personally, I only calculate calories I burn in a workout and not at work. Too many variables. The biggest thing is don't give up!

ETA: you could also talk to your doctor about wanting to lose weight. Losing weight on thyroid meds are hard, so they may have suggestions for you.