Tips and Tricks

Options
Just thought I'd share some of my tactics when hunger strikes between meals.

1.) Brushing your teeth after dinner. Or if you're super committed, after every meal. It makes you think twice about having a midnight snack because you will have to brush your teeth again.

2.) Chew sugar-free gum. I find that when I think I'm hungry, I'm really just bored. Chewing gum gives your mouth the illusion of eating and consuming calories (gum is like 5 calories though :grumble: ).

3.) Drink water. Dehydration often has a lot of the same symptoms as hunger, and drinking water gives you a comfortable weight in your stomach if it feels a bit empty.

4.) Give in! If none of these work, it's because you really *are* hungry, and denying yourself will only make your weight loss unsustainable. No one can live off of water, toothpaste, and gum! :wink: Try to go for low-calorie foods that will fill you up, like carrots, lettuce, or cauliflower. A handful of nuts will also do the trick. Listen to your body and give it what it needs.

Do you guys have anything to add?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I would love to add some tips!

1.) Do a proper calculation for your NEAT and subtract a moderate deficit. A 500 calorie deficit will allow you to lose around a pound per week. If you have less to lose, then a smaller deficit is generally a better idea. If you have a lot to lose, you can stand to have a larger deficit.

2.) Eat back your exercise calories, or at least a good portion of them to prevent your deficit from becoming too high.

3.) By eating a moderate deficit, you can typically avoid the worst of the "hunger" since you'll be getting, usually, an adequate amount of calories.

4.) Ensure you're eating enough protein and dietary fat. Protein helps to retain lean muscle mass and dietary fat helps to keep your body functioning properly.

5. Don't stress about the types of food you're eating or try to eat purely "healthy" (or what some would consider "healthy") if it is just going to cause you to binge later. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit, not eating salads constantly.

6. Include some variation of a strength training routine into your week. This helps to prevent muscle loss as well as a myriad of other benefits.

7. If you do binge, don't freak out. Just continue on. One day doesn't wreck your diet.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I found that for me, I don't miss foods when I substitute them, but I do when I completely eliminate them.
    Want ice cream? Try frozen yogurt, coconut milk frozen dessert, or even arctic zero if you can (I know not many people like it)
    Want milk? 30 calorie unsweetened almond milk is great! Especially in smoothies/cereal/coffee.
    Want mayonnaise? You can save a ton by switching to reduced fat!
    Want cheese? Fat free packs more nutrition per calorie!
    Egg substitutes are also quite filling!