biking etiquette

Options

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing, this idiot wasn't aware that when someone is riding fast on a bike behind you, you don't jump around the sidewalk. I walk my two big dogs, we stay to one side of the sidewalk and I only wear one earpiece of my headphones. When I hear someone behind me, I just hug the side I am closest to.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Never ride against traffic. A head on with the bike at 15mph and the car at 35mph results in a 50mph impact. Going the same speeds, if the car hits you from behind it's only a 20mph impact. Neither impact is good, but your odds of survival are much better when you ride with traffic, which is why laws specify riding with traffic.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    No, it's matter of rationalizing......like drivers there are good cyclists and bad cyclists. Bad cyclists rationalize engaging in dangerous behaviour thinking it's a way of mitigating risk when, in fact, the real way to mitigate risk is to become a good cyclist. The same rationale for riding a bike on the sidewalk could be used by riders of e-bikes and small displacement motorcycles........do you want them on sidewalks?
    Also, people that CONSIDER themselves 'good' cyclists like to rationalise why they are better than the 'bad' ones ;).
    So, to clarify; I want people that won't injure me sharing the same bit of pavement I am on.
    I don't care if they're walking ... or driving a lorry. If I ran into someone a bit frail, I'm sure I could easily hill them. What about someone that weighs 50% more than me running fast? That's similar momentum to a small person on a bike riding pretty fast.
    In a lot of European countries electric and <50cc motorcycles can be ridden where cycles can be and this is often next to pedestrian paths away from the main roadway.

Again, I have personal experience of the dangers of not riding on the pavement.

Here's some links for you

http://www.newsite.com/made/up/stuff/cyclist_riding_on_sidewalk_saves_old_lady.html

http://www.irrelevant.com/your-second-two-links-arent-even-about-sidewalks.com

;)

Yep, maybe if the cyclists in the last two had been on the pavement, it'd have been fine ;).
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You should not be riding on the sidewalk. If there is a path ride in the direction that the traffic is going. If there is no path ride to the right with traffic.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You should not be riding on the sidewalk. If there is a path ride in the direction that the traffic is going. If there is no path ride to the right with traffic.

^^^ Short, sweet, to the point.
    If someone is uncomfortable riding in the road, then I recommend sticking to multi-use trails designated for foot and bike traffic. There's nothing wrong with favoring paved multi-use paths, or off-road trails, or riding in the road where it's legal. It really depends on what you are comfortable with. For those of us who do ride in the road, we need to ride with traffic like the vehicles that we technically are and follow all applicable traffic laws. And hopefully try to be good bicycling stewards wherever we are.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

^^^ Short, sweet, to the point.
    If someone is uncomfortable riding in the road, then I recommend sticking to multi-use trails designated for foot and bike traffic. There's nothing wrong with favoring paved multi-use paths, or off-road trails, or riding in the road where it's legal. It really depends on what you are comfortable with. For those of us who do ride in the road, we need to ride with traffic like the vehicles that we technically are and follow all applicable traffic laws. And hopefully try to be good bicycling stewards wherever we are.

this says it all
    I cycle downtown in the biggest city in Canada. I necver ride on sidewalks (I do use the multi use trails that pass through the university) . I will ride against traffic only on a couple of one way quiet neighbourhood sidestreets that I cut through on the way to and from work)
    If you are too scared to ride on the road then you need to go ride trails and stay off the roads. People riding (or rollerblading for that matter) on sidewalks drive me crazy , I've been clipped more than once and then had some drunken *kitten* on a bike too small for him give me ****

I'll add - obey the rules of the road Signal your turns and stop for lights/Stop Signs, no point getting run down because you broke the law
    I've been run off the road a few times by cars and truck so I try and stick to paths, side roads or roads with Bike lanes And I use lights from just before sunset to just after sunrise and on dreary/rainy/snowy days
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a bike after probably not riding one for about 25 years or more. I love riding it on the weekends and have different routes and places that I go. Yesterday I was riding on the sidewalk in my neighborhood. The roads don't have bike lanes so I ride on the sidewalk. The sidewalk has a curb to the street on one side and a hill on the other side. I was coming up behind a kid on a skateboard who had turned around a few seconds ago so he knew I was coming up behind him. I yelled "passing on your left" as I was coming up behind him ( he was closer to the right edge of the sidewalk) and I must have startled him and he turned to the left. I jumped off the bike and he jumped off the skateboard. No collision, we both apologized and went on. Then I started thinking about what is the proper way to pass someone on the sidewalk.

Of course, shortly after this, I come up behind a woman who is wearing those big spring shoe things (I don't know what the real name is for them) and bouncing down the center of the sidewalk. I also see that she is listening to music. I really don't want to startle this woman, so I start yelling a little farther away to give her plenty of time to move to the side, I yell "passing on your left" and she does nothing. I do it again with the same no response. By this time, I am really close and I just yell "hello" this time and I do startle her and she jumps to the left in front of me. I know "hello" was probably not the right thing to say, but I really needed to get her attention, Again, I got lucky and no collision, but I could tell she was pissed at me.

What I want to know is what is the proper etiquette for this. I know we both have the same right to use the sidewalk. I know I pay attention to my surroundings when biking and when I am running. Should I just have to slow down and walk my bike until the person notices that I am there and moves or until there is a good space to pass? Please help.
    Proper etiquette is to get off the sidewalk. It's a sideWALK not a sideride.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Also, if I'm walking on the sidewalk, and I see a cyclist coming up, I stay in the middle. If they want to pass, they'll have to go on the grass or the road. I also make sure to tell them they belong on the road as they're going by. I pity the fool that ever talks back or says something to me about getting out of the way.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    Also, if I'm walking on the sidewalk, and I see a cyclist coming up, I stay in the middle. If they want to pass, they'll have to go on the grass or the road. I also make sure to tell them they belong on the road as they're going by. I pity the fool that ever talks back or says something to me about getting out of the way.
    I do the same, I've been clipped a couple of times (and I've hit them in the ribs hard with an elbow when they did)
    On the flip side people riding not obeying road rules (yeah couriers I'm looking at you) Piss me off too. I had a courier hit me in the drivers door as I was turning left (he decided to pass me on the left despite me signalling and waiting for traffic to clear. he got up and started threatening me - until I pulled a Tire Iron out from behind the back seat. I pulled my phone and offered to call the cops to solve it, he left (it was dark about 10:30 pm and he smelled of beer and weed - I could even point out the bar he'd been at since it was a block away and I have been there myself lol)
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

You said your roads were dangerous so I would ride AGAINST TRAFFIC. That way people would see you coming.

No. No.

No.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Someone in the UK got killed recently after making a fuss complaining about another riding on the pavement.
    (Punch and unlucky landing with head hitting in just the wrong way.)

Now of course we all know WE have the biggest keyboards and can beat ANYONE up, but sadly reality isn't always like that!

And not only may a tyre iron not save you, but it can also easily push the legal system directly against you - especially if someone happens to witness just from the point you pulled it out.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Felt like I needed to add a little something else to this after my ride yesterday.

If you are super precious in your head to toe branded kit, on your full carbon Orbea, taking a training ride in prep for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge, GTFO the multi use path. If you are that badass you belong on the road. No one needs to go that fast on a path full of Sunday walkers and leisure cyclists. If I could catch you, I would kick your *kitten*. I know I was going about 15mph (the speed limit on the MUP) and you blew past me like I was an elderly pedestrian. You, sir, are a douche who is going to kill someone.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Ok....I guess I get that I shouldn't be on the sidewalk. It's just that in one week, I heard news stories about 5 people getting hit by cars on their bikes. I live in a very populated area. I will check to see if there are bike paths nearby. On Sundays I ride around this one commercial area that has almost zero traffic on Sunday and that is really nice.

Thanks for your help!

I work in an area with a lot of cyclists, and accidents like these usually occur because the people on bikes weren't following traffic laws. It is SO frustrating to watch cyclists blow through stop lights or ignore stop signs, etc. Be sure to follow all rules of the road (as if you were in a car) and you should be totally fine.

This. Almost Every accident with a bike I have ever seen (and I work in car insurance so I have seen a lot) involved the cyclist running red lights and stop signs.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    Someone in the UK got killed recently after making a fuss complaining about another riding on the pavement.
    (Punch and unlucky landing with head hitting in just the wrong way.)

Now of course we all know WE have the biggest keyboards and can beat ANYONE up, but sadly reality isn't always like that!

And not only may a tyre iron not save you, but it can also easily push the legal system directly against you - especially if someone happens to witness just from the point you pulled it out.
    you've mixed the 2 of us - and I am aware and would not use the tire iron except in self defense (he was threatening me before hand, bigger and drunk - and there was a witness who gave me their info for my insurance to get the door fixed)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I do the same thing, sometimes it becomes a game of chicken. When I worked downtown I found that bike couriers were the worst offenders.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I cycle downtown in the biggest city in Canada. I necver ride on sidewalks (I do use the multi use trails that pass through the university) .

A little OT but......your Mayor hates you :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySs1cEq5rs
  • geebusuk
    Options
    you've mixed the 2 of us
    Was aware I was replying to two people, didn't feel the need to quote again as thought tyre iron made it clear who I was responding to.
    It may be better where you are, but in the UK I would be VERY hesitant about doing anything like that, lest it go against me.
    (Frankly, I'd probably prefer they DID try and attack me (because of course I've got the biggest beating-up-keyboard) over it being seen as me threatening them.)
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    you've mixed the 2 of us
    Was aware I was replying to two people, didn't feel the need to quote again as thought tyre iron made it clear who I was responding to.
    It may be better where you are, but in the UK I would be VERY hesitant about doing anything like that, lest it go against me.
    (Frankly, I'd probably prefer they DID try and attack me (because of course I've got the biggest beating-up-keyboard) over it being seen as me threatening them.)

UK may have harder laws (actually i believe in Canada ours our similar to yours) You have a far higher incidence of GBH though (I lived there in the 70's and am a West Ham fan so I've seen the idiocy first hand more than once ICF gave us all a bad name)
  • geebusuk
    Options
    It's not so much the laws, but they way they are (ab)used.

Just need a witness to say you were the evil-car-polluting aggressor and suddenly it's attempted assault with a deadly weapon (or whatever, that's not an actual thing.)
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Felt like I needed to add a little something else to this after my ride yesterday.

If you are super precious in your head to toe branded kit, on your full carbon Orbea, taking a training ride in prep for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge, GTFO the multi use path. If you are that badass you belong on the road. No one needs to go that fast on a path full of Sunday walkers and leisure cyclists. If I could catch you, I would kick your *kitten*. I know I was going about 15mph (the speed limit on the MUP) and you blew past me like I was an elderly pedestrian. You, sir, are a douche who is going to kill someone.

So what's with the Orbea hate? Considering the veritable bike stable in your profile pic (including that new Tango 7 29er and, uh, are those Bontrager Race X-Lites on the red Trek?), I doubt you only ever just putz along. Haters gonna hate...