Hello from a Grannie Fan.

Options
At 73 I guess i am old enough to be Grannie to most of you , if not all. I joined first 2-3 years ago, but for one reason or another,
(mainly health) my attendance has been pretty off and on again. This is the first time I have actually introduced myself and joined in the forum. I really need, and desperately want to loose weight and try and regain at least some of my fitness. I am unfortunately disadvantaged in the physical exercise regime because of arthritis, which is affecting most of my joints and at times rather painful. It makes it easier to quit rather than to persevere so my mostly sedentary life style now does nothing to help me in my desire to loose weight. I am determined this time to try and hang on in here rather than take the easy way out. I am at the stage now where I am having difficulty bending to do up my own shoes, or to care for my own feet, toenails etc. I just don't want to have to ask anyone to clip my toe nails !.
I love the whole concept of this site, and the focus on fitness rather than on diet. I have little faith in dieting as such for I have over the years done most of them, and I have lost weight, and regained it plus, time and time again. In fact, if I had my time over I would never binge diet again. I believe that for me, was the cause of my burgeoning weight problems, and combined of course with not enough physical exercise. Over the years I have cut out almost everything I can think of to cut out until now, at the present time, I think that I eat healthily 90 % of the time. I do have to work on drinking more water .. that is for sure . I have a problem with fluid retention especially over the summer months, and probably not hydrating sufficiently in the first place, is the reason.
I am looking forward to looking in here from time to time, and hoping to pick up on some tips from you all.
I have noticed in the past while coming here, that much of the food in the site food bank has unreliable nutritional data. So one tip I pass on to you, is to double check the data as you put it in yourselves , and make sure it matches the packaging , and just be aware, that not everyone is so careful with their in put of data. When you find one that is 100% correct , please confirm it. We can all help each other this way and become more confident about using the site to the best of our advantage. The food register is only as good as the persons stocking the shelves so to speak, and I have noticed that many processed foods vary considerably from brand to brand too. So don't take it for granted that a can of baked beans made in the USA has the same calories as one made in Australia for example. Some brands contain more sugar. Sorry, I hope you don't think I am lecturing , but this is a bit of a trap I believe I have fallen into myself in the past. :smooched:

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Granny Fan! :smile: Glad you are trying to stay fit and healthy with us!
  • mistyblu13
    mistyblu13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    At 73 I guess i am old enough to be Grannie to most of you , if not all. I joined first 2-3 years ago, but for one reason or another,
    (mainly health) my attendance has been pretty off and on again. This is the first time I have actually introduced myself and joined in the forum. I really need, and desperately want to loose weight and try and regain at least some of my fitness. I am unfortunately disadvantaged in the physical exercise regime because of arthritis, which is affecting most of my joints and at times rather painful. It makes it easier to quit rather than to persevere so my mostly sedentary life style now does nothing to help me in my desire to loose weight. I am determined this time to try and hang on in here rather than take the easy way out. I am at the stage now where I am having difficulty bending to do up my own shoes, or to care for my own feet, toenails etc. I just don't want to have to ask anyone to clip my toe nails !.
    I love the whole concept of this site, and the focus on fitness rather than on diet. I have little faith in dieting as such for I have over the years done most of them, and I have lost weight, and regained it plus, time and time again. In fact, if I had my time over I would never binge diet again. I believe that for me, was the cause of my burgeoning weight problems, and combined of course with not enough physical exercise. Over the years I have cut out almost everything I can think of to cut out until now, at the present time, I think that I eat healthily 90 % of the time. I do have to work on drinking more water .. that is for sure . I have a problem with fluid retention especially over the summer months, and probably not hydrating sufficiently in the first place, is the reason.
    I am looking forward to looking in here from time to time, and hoping to pick up on some tips from you all.
    I have noticed in the past while coming here, that much of the food in the site food bank has unreliable nutritional data. So one tip I pass on to you, is to double check the data as you put it in yourselves , and make sure it matches the packaging , and just be aware, that not everyone is so careful with their in put of data. When you find one that is 100% correct , please confirm it. We can all help each other this way and become more confident about using the site to the best of our advantage. The food register is only as good as the persons stocking the shelves so to speak, and I have noticed that many processed foods vary considerably from brand to brand too. So don't take it for granted that a can of baked beans made in the USA has the same calories as one made in Australia for example. Some brands contain more sugar. Sorry, I hope you don't think I am lecturing , but this is a bit of a trap I believe I have fallen into myself in the past. :smooched:

Hi Grannyfan :) I agree with you that the foods listed on here are not all correct and a person is really better inputting their own info in most cases ...this is something that fitnesspal could work on....that being said...we really are our own cheerleaders but its nice to have peeps that encourage, holler at you and just listen at times :) I will send you a friend request...you can accept or no...no hard feelings lol as far as your arthritis... walking helps immensely ...start slow ...just walking around your house or apt can put miles on...I walk mine and can easily do a mile while talking on the phone or reading...if you have some younger friends or family members who get grab this from the wild for you and you are not on any medications....the chaga mushroom, birch or poplar bark (inner part) made into tea in the evenings can also help that amongst other things :) happy stepping and stretching :)