College Dining Hall Food

Katiec1022
Katiec1022 Posts: 2
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've just started this today, and I have a question for all those who tried or are trying to lose weight in college.

I have a meal plan which I am supposed to use, and my school doesn't allow us to have microwaves in our rooms, I'm also an insanely picky eater. I don't eat chicken, steak, or vegetables. I'm not just stubborn, these foods litteraly make me ill. So I guess my question is, how do you lose weight when you have limited options for food? I want to lose about 30-35 lbs, but I'm not sure I will be able to accomplish this goal in a reasonable amount of time given the fact that I have such a hatred of healthier foods and such a lack of food choices I can eat.

Replies

• No microwave? WHATTTT! Sneak a george foreman in. Cafe food is horrible! I gained 30 pounds in college, I have no idea how I would lose weight, the food is so bad :-( I lost like 15 pounds when I was trying in school, I lived on fresh sandwhiches and salads.
  • Do they atleast have community microwave. My friend had that issue, they said the microwave was fire hazard, but they a community microwave in like a dining hall or something.
  • We have community microwaves that are kept behind the front desk in the residence hall, we're not allowed to bring outside food into the dining hall, and I have no idea why. The problem with the microwave is that we're not allowed to actually touch it, we have to give the food to the person working the desk with instructions, which generally get screwed up. Also I live on the fifth floor of my building, so transporting anything hot is a problem.
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Do you have a refrigerator? If so, stock that up with foods you like that will last a while. Ask if you can have a crock pot...you can make really good & healthy recipes in it and then put them in the fridge for leftovers.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Check portion sizes on what you do eat. Know what a cup looks like.

Also, make comments that you want healthier options and more on the salad bar. My daughter and her friends complained last year using proper channels. When she started back this fall, the salad bar is a lot bigger with healthy options, including lunchmeat to had a chef salad at lunch time.

You and your friends pay for the college food plan. Let them know what you want to eat. Obviously they cannot simply cook for one, but more and more people are wanting a healthy choice. Have your friends stand up and say get rid of the breaded, deep fried, starchy food and serve something healthy.

If done in a caring way, with other students behind you, they will listen. Also ask them to put in a scale so you can weigh your food. They are not that expensive for countertop scales. If they know you are wanting to limit your intake, and others are as well, it will get them to do something, because that saves them money.
  • My university has a nutritionist, look to see if your school has one as well and if so I would recommend sitting down with him/her and make a plan. Also, you may be able to find the nutritional information for your dinning center online, use that as your guide
  • Hi!
    I'm in college too, and I find problems with the food halls as well. I have noticed that my school has a microwave in the actual dining hall, so you might check that out. I eat a lot of oatmeal, grits, and fresh sandwiches. My hall always has fresh fruit, that could be an option for you. I was actually just complaining today that I love to use my meal plan, but hate that there aren't more healthy options. :( Good luck finding your own way to cope with these problems...
This discussion has been closed.