Setting your calorie goals...

Options
I'm a little confused .. I work at subway approx 5 days per week 5-8 hours per day. I do lots of moving and walking and lifting (5-20lb, so not heavy but lifting things regardless). Is this lightly active? I had my goal set as sedentary because I don't work weekends and I usually work around 6.5 hours per day, so I don't have a "regular" work day.

But since I've gone down a weight category and adjusted my setting as per the guided section (305 to 281), MFP is now telling me to eat 1500 calories as sedentary, but 1800 as lightly active. I was losing well over 2lb per week eating 1600 per day, but had just chalked it up to the fact that I am starting out so large.

I don't find that I went hungry on 1600 calories, but 1500 seems a little bit low for the weight that I'm currently at...

Should I have my settings at lightly active for my job? I also exercise 5-6 days a week, never less than 4 but sometimes all 7 (the seventh day being something non-strenuous like a long walk with the dogs)

Help?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd go with lightly active. Seems like you're not having a problem losing so why drop all the way down to 1500 when you don't need to?
  • jennwhite34
    jennwhite34 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would go with lightly active. You an always adjust it later if you need to.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I personally set to sedentary then log in all activity. The reason is my days fluctuate in the way of activity and I don't want MFP to guess how much I actually burn. If something isn't logged, then that's just bonus calories burned and it shows on the scale as well. If 1500 doesn't work for you, you did the right thing by upping it to 1600. Wait a week, if you're still having pangs and binges, add another 100 and repeat. Eventually you will find that sweet spot and the right amount of calories your body needs. All we have to do is listen to what our body tells us. Trial and error method took me about 2-3 weeks, once completed, I no longer get hungry. Eat as much as you can while still losing weight is the key, and not minimizing calories.