Do you eat your maintenance calories, BMR or TDEE?

Options
I'm so confused. If I'm trying to maintain my weight, do I eat my maintenance, bmr or tdee calories? Thanks to anyone who's willing to clarify this for me.

Replies

• slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm actually wondering the same thing.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. If I'm trying to maintain my weight, do I eat my maintenance, bmr or tdee calories? Thanks to anyone who's willing to clarify this for me.

Your TDEE (TOTAL daily energy expenditure) should be the same as your maintenance. It accounts for the typical amount of daily calories you burn through living your life. It's all estimates though. It's possible you may need a bit more or a bit less. You will not be able to maintain weight if you eat your BMR ever. That is the total number of estimated calories your body uses at it's most restful state. It does not account for walking around during the day, doing the dishes, cooking dinner, going to the bathroom, etc.

ETA: Unless maybe you're in a coma. I suppose coma victims may maintain at their BMR.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Around TDEE, what that is exactly is a bit of trial and error.calculator is still guessing.
    Just try a number, are you slowly gaining slightly lower it again.
    After a bit of playing you find your maintain weight range (not a number, it always fluctuates a few pounds)