Insider info on protein strategy

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    0.25g per kg bodyweight seems very LOW to me!

Or maybe I'm calculating and/or reading this wrong? With my numbers that only gives me about 16g of protein a DAY?!

At the moment I aim for about 140g per day which is 1g for every 1lb of my bodyweight.

Think it means 16g with every meal/snack and 32g on your last meal of the day?

ETA: based on your calculation for you.

Sorry, didn't see the rest of the thread - OP already answered you :/
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Both he (@mackinprof) and (Dr) Layne Norton (@biolayne) have been talking about it a bit on twitter.

This concept is something that I've at least intuitively understood well before this research. The bodies protein stores are limited AND the best growth period is the first few hours of sleep.

While some will go off the deep end with this research, from a practical application, don't IF when bulking, get some protein first thing in the AM, and don't go to bed on a protein empty stomach. All of which I think that a decent % of people bulking do anyway, because it it pretty intuitive.

I wouldn't be inclined to be overly skeptical, Dr. Phillips has a pretty good rep and is one of the few that actually works with people legit muscle building as how would be done in the real world, not you average stupid experiment design that has no real application.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    A link would've been useful
  • michael300891
    Options
    Both he (@mackinprof) and (Dr) Layne Norton (@biolayne) have been talking about it a bit on twitter.

This concept is something that I've at least intuitively understood well before this research. The bodies protein stores are limited AND the best growth period is the first few hours of sleep.

While some will go off the deep end with this research, from a practical application, don't IF when bulking, get some protein first thing in the AM, and don't go to bed on a protein empty stomach. All of which I think that a decent % of people bulking do anyway, because it it pretty intuitive.

I wouldn't be inclined to be overly skeptical, Dr. Phillips has a pretty good rep and is one of the few that actually works with people legit muscle building as how would be done in the real world, not you average stupid experiment design that has no real application.

Decent summary, can't fault it!
  • AWelden2012
    AWelden2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    The best time is exactly 45 minutes after your workout or you just wasted your time because your muscles will go catabolic and deteriorate.

But what if I ate protein 30 minutes before training?

As long as you get enough leading up to training and within 24 or so hours after you will have no problem. In other words, hit your daily protein min requirement and it wont matter when you do it.

What he is saying is the new research is suggesting that what you said is not necessarily true.

I'm waiting to see the paper before making judgements.
    QFT^ Should be an interesting read, I personally spread my protein intake over the day so I am doing something unintentionally similar.

Besides post workout protein I am curious as to whether this strategy will have a significant effect both on performance, muscle growth and repair etc eg will it be a slight variable that only competitive athletes, lifters etc will see an advantage as in a .1% difference or will it be something worth the effort for those who are not concerned with miniscule advantages.

Time will tell, if I missed it could you please post the link.

Look forward to reading the final published paper and then the peer reviewed findings.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging this. Curious to see the results.

I'm sure (I hope) it will appear in AARR and/or weightology once it's published.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow. I've always 'felt' like I was making the best progress when I made a point of consuming a large amount of protein before bed.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    IN to follow
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow. Thanks!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    subscribing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In for science.
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm in , looks interesting.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    In for science.
  • Cbargert
    Cbargert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Curiously waiting for the link.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    In for further reading.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, please promise to come back and update this when the information is published. I tend to protein load early in the day so I don't miss my daily goal. If I would get better results saving some of that for evening consumption, I'd love to have that information.
  • michael300891
    Options
    OP, please promise to come back and update this when the information is published. I tend to protein load early in the day so I don't miss my daily goal. If I would get better results saving some of that for evening consumption, I'd love to have that information.

Will do I promise!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.