FOR THOSE IN RECOVER FROM SERIOUS ILLNESS OR SURGERY

Options
Hi everyone! I'm heading to surgery on Friday for my second ACL repair. I won't be able to workout for some time, but I realize how important my physical therapy and diet are going to be.

I don't want to gain 20 lbs sitting on my couch the next month.

So, for anyone who is facing, or has faced this...please join the thread and help support each other.

And please pray for me on Sept 24 at 8am. I will be under the knife! I believe in God and put my faith in him.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    my husband has knee surgery and after about a month he was able to start working out again.

Well the day of the surgery, afterwards he wanted to walk on his own! The army gave him 30 days of leave so that is why I said after a month he was able to get back into working out.
  • kimidawn11
    Options
    That's good to hear! I hope 30 days and I'll be back. My last one took much longer to recover from but it was more complicated. We will see. I saw your insanity pics! Wow those are awesome results. I'm a Turbo Fire girl!! :)
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    my thoughts and prayers will be with you, I slipped on ice in 09 and spent 4 months in bed. you really have to watch what you eat. i found i thought i was hungry even when i was not and had to drink more water, but didnt want too because it was painful getting up. good luck i hope all goes well.
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my thoughts and prayers will be with you, I slipped on ice in 09 and spent 4 months in bed. you really have to watch what you eat. i found i thought i was hungry even when i was not and had to drink more water, but didnt want too because it was painful getting up. good luck i hope all goes well.

Robin,

I know where you are coming from. I also, slipped on ice and snow two day's before christmas in 2008. I broke my leg, and my ankle. I had to have pins placed in ankle, and plate in leg. It was the worst feeling ever. I was stuck at my parents place, because my mom took care of my 3month old son. I spent 5months on that couch. When i was finally able to try to walk, and do anything i had to be really careful. I wasn't able to do anything but sit on a couch!! However, I ate healthy, drank only water at my moms. And surprisingly, even though i wan't able to do anything because i couldn't walk or do stairs, I lost a few pounds. WHich i was happy with. As, long, as u eat healthy and watch what you eat and drink you will be perfectly fine. Good luck with your surgery.
  • eharvey
    Options
    Prayers are with you.
  • kimidawn11
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!
  • kimidawn11
    Options
    My surgery was yesterday and I'm doing pretty good! Only threw up once from all the meds. Back home and resting. Makes me appreciate the times when I'm strong and healthy and can get in a good run or workout! :-)
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sending positive healing vibes your way!

I was off exercising for over 8 weeks this summer due to a running injury.

Take care of yourself and listen to your body and give it time to heal.

Karen
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tore my ACL and had surgery in 2008. Had surgery in February 2008. Kept active doing Wii strengthening exercises. First, just the arms and any I could do without using the knee. By mid March, was walking and step aerobics on Wii. Started running again in May and back to soccer in August. Long recovery but worth it!!