The Side Stitch - YEOUCH!!

Options
Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
Any other runners/joggers suffer from this?? I keep reading conflicting info on what to do to prevent/stop these, but haven't found a method yet that works for me. :ohwell:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Options
    Any other runners/joggers suffer from this?? I keep reading conflicting info on what to do to prevent/stop these, but haven't found a method yet that works for me. :ohwell:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    UGH! yes! It always seems to hurt more when I slow down too! So I usually just have to push thru it. Sorry, wish I had an answer for you! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    UGH! yes! It always seems to hurt more when I slow down too! So I usually just have to push thru it. Sorry, wish I had an answer for you! :flowerforyou:

I was hoping the answer had something to do with increasing chocolate cake intake. :wink:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I was hoping the answer had something to do with increasing chocolate cake intake. :wink:

LOL! Wouldn't that be great?:drinker:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Although increased chocolate intake is good for the soul, it will do nothing for the lungs.

I read another post a while back that mentioned this. The powers that be, said try breathing more deeply. This worked for me. Other runners mentioned a breathing pace that could help your run in other ways: two steps, inhale, two steps exhale, or four steps, inhale, four steps, exhale.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    The most effective way to prevent a side stitch is to avoid "shallow" breathing. Instead breathe "deeply", from the belly while running.

TO prevent, periodically "purse" the lips while exhaling, as if blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Again, deep breathing is required.

Another thing that helps, is to exhale as the left foot strikes the ground, instead of the right foot. I don't kremember exactly why, someting to do with the organs not being as big on the left, so they don't need as much oxygen???I'm no dr, all I know is I read it in a running magazine year's ago and it works.
    Also it is rec. that you don't eat within one hour of running to prevent side stiches and only lightly within 3 hours, something to do with the liver or diaphragm, again can't rememer scientific data. Also staying properly hydrated helps too.
    I do know it the pain is too much you should NOT push thru it, you should stop walk and raise your arms above your heart and they should subside within a minute.
    Hope this helps.
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    I get them alot when i take big gulps of water while running...try just taking sips and running with your arms up if it gets really bad until the pain stops! They suck!