Very Sad this morning

Options
harass33
harass33 Posts: 12 Member
I apologize in advance for this post.

I am sad.....my dad was the only one in my family that picked up the phone and called me to wish me a happy birthday yesterday. The other people in my family either forgot or they texted me or FB me.....that is so......LAME! What happened to people not being so damn lazy? I really missed hearing from my mom to. This was my first birthday without her.

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    That sucks, especially since FB gives birthday reminders. Happy belated birthday! :smile:
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So sorry...at least you have your dad!!

Unfortunately I think this says allot about modern society and social media has so much to answer for. Close you FB account and see how many 'friends' you still have then. I personally don't do FB for this very reason...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    No need to apologize for being human. I'm sorry your birthday wasn't acknowledged by most of your family. People seem to be talented at disappointing each other at times. Happy birthday from me! :flowerforyou:
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat. My husband sent me an e-card as I think he forgot until the actual day.
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ummm... Happy birthday!

Don't worry, they'll realize what they did eventually and come around. Why won't you call them and be like, "I had a good day yesterday, how bout you?" They'll hopefully realize they missed something. My family is the same way, loving but forgetful. :wink:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    A couple years back everyone forgot my birthday, gf, daughter, family, everyone. Best thing to do is just roll with it. On your birthday you want some attention and a little recognition to feel good about yourself, well if you can't get that from the people in your life get it yourself.

Go eat something you love, see your favorite movie, buy yourself something you really want...

You don't need anyone else to make you happy.

Oh, and happy birthday. See? I almost forgot too. :flowerforyou:

Also, maybe she will get even better gifts due to the forgotten birthday guilt! :smile:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are hurt but
    Happy Birthday wishes on facebook,, to me, is the same as getting a card.
    It shows that they are thinking of you.
    Be Thankful for that.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Happy belated birthday! I'm sorry you were so sad on your day!

A few years ago, everyone but my husband forgot my birthday. It hit me really hard because my family has always been so big on birthdays. Since, they haven't forgotten but I only get texts and FB messages wishing me a "happy bday". Sadly, I think this is just where our world is moving. People are to "busy" to slow down and appreciate the things that they once did.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I can identify. I don't know if it's the generation (my parents are in their late 60s-70s) but they are always hesitant to call in general because they think they are interrupting/intruding. They will send a card a few days before my birthday. I'll call to thank them but no actual call comes on my birthday. I know I should be grateful of the card but yeah a little attention on the day is nice (i'm spoiled).

Anyway happy birthday! What's that expression?: Treat yourself like a queen because no one else is going to. Treat yourself today.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!! Cheer up, go out and have a blast!
  • Mmwebb2011
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear harass33. Happy Birthday to you. That is me singing to you. Trust me, you would NOT want to meet me and have me sing to you in person. Hope today is a better day for you. I know how hard it is to have life events without your mom.
  • Happy_Austinite
    Options
    Good morning, and Happy Birthday! Your sadness is completely understandable, especially given the loss of your mother. I lost my parents when I was in my teens, so I've had many birthdays without them, and I know that these annual events can be reminders of loved ones lost. I can only tell you from my experience that grief does ease up over time, and your special events and holidays can brighten up eventually.

But your loss is so recent, that I think your feelings are valid and your family members could have gone the extra mile and called you. I won't rant about Facebook here ( I've never used it and I won't), but I will agree it's not the same as a call. Sorry your feeling were hurt. It's good that you can open up here and express how you feel.

Best wishes to you.
  • FemmeFatale83
    Options
    I'm so sorry! But it sounds like your dad really loves you:) Maybe you should do something special for yourself?? Happy Belated Birthday, I really hope today brightens up for you!!!
  • novauser
    novauser Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for this post.

I am sad.....my dad was the only one in my family that picked up the phone and called me to wish me a happy birthday yesterday. The other people in my family either forgot or they texted me or FB me.....that is so......LAME! What happened to people not being so damn lazy? I really missed hearing from my mom to. This was my first birthday without her.

I had the exact same experience January this year. Only my father called and sang lol.brother and sister sent text...this was my first year without my mom too. She died feb 12, 2013....on her birthday...suddenly.....sucks huge.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you lost your mom. No matter how old we get, there is no replacing her.
  • Rafter88
    Rafter88 Posts: 63
    Options
    Happy Birthday :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! =)
  • joyceb444
    joyceb444 Posts: 12
    Options
    Happy Birthday! :)