Homemade, health Pizza

Options
Pizza is my weakness and I need a recipe that will give me a pizza fix without busting my diet... anyone have any good recipes they would be willing to share? Thanks in Advance:wink:

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For the crust, you can use whole wheat tortillas, english muffins, or any kind of flat bread. I personally use lavish bread from trader joe's. It tastes fantastic, you just fhave to be sure to toast it in the oven a little before putting all the toppings on. Go easy on the sauce and cheese, but pile on the veggies. You can also add some chicken for protein, but should probably stay away from processed meats like pepperoni if you're trying the watch calories. After all the toppings are on, put it in the oven until everything is heated through and the cheese is melty.
  • heathermcg
    Options
    I am a huge pizza person too! I am doing weight watchers and got a recipe from a meeting for a great pizza!

Here's what you need:
    Flat Out bread
    pizza sauce
    reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese

And I add:
    turkey pepperoni

Not sure what the total calories and fat and fiber are but I know the pizza with one slice bread, 2tbsp sauce, 1/4 cup cheese, and 10 slices pepperoni is around 7 points.
  • JensLogin
    Options
    Oh, I love my pizza too - In fact I am a self proclaimed - pizza connoisseur! LOL

I have several recipes for a "healthier pizza" that I use.

For one of my pizza's I like to use the whole wheat pizza crust from Trader Joe's. (Not sure if you have one by you or not?) I split the dough in two and add about 3 ounces of low fat skim mozzarella on it, with a fat free pizza sauce from Trader Joe's as well. It's a pretty good tasting sauce and very low in calories too! Then I add in green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, red onions and any other veggies that sound good at the time. The dough has a little more calories and sodium than I would like, but it is healthier than other options.

The other I actually got from a poster on this site, so I can't take credit for it. You can buy the light "Flatout Wraps." They come in a few flavors and you can try what you like best. Most of them are only 90 calories and area decent size.Lower in calories and sodium that the above recipe, but a different taste. Still good!! I add the same things as above, but only use about an ounce of the cheese. Under 200 calories and they are great for the family too. They get to make their own with the topping options, so it makes it fun!

Hope that helps! From one pizza lover to another.... enjoy!!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    a pizza i make is simple

*1 smart and delicious flat bread
    *1 can diced tomatoes in italian seasoning, 1 clove garlic and some crushed red pepper blended until smooth- use 1 to 2 table spoons on flat bread
    *1/4 cup sargento reduced fat cheese
    *1/4 of a chicken breast sliced thin
    *3 frozen artichokes thawed
    *about 1/3 cup or less of frozen spinach (drained)

top with cheese last and bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. it's about 400 calories but your own personal pizza so you can use portion control
  • ekoepke413
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I think I have a few different pizza recipes that need to be tried out in the future. I am also going to find a Trader Joes around here... many of you mentioned it for the crust :)
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I think I have a few different pizza recipes that need to be tried out in the future. I am also going to find a Trader Joes around here... many of you mentioned it for the crust :)

Whole Foods also has a great wheat crust. It's located in the bread aisle and it's about 170 calories for 1/4 of the whole pizza. They also have a bunch of good 365 pasta sauces - I think those are only 45 calories for 1/2 cup.

ETA: My husband made an awesome pizza this week using the above crust and sauce, with mozzarella, caramelized onions, corn, and fresh basil. Yum!