Nutrisystem vs Macros

I need some advice and/or help, please!
Five years ago I lost 60 lbs on NS. I joined an online forum such as this and it really helped to stay motivated and take the weight off.
Fast forward to now.. I gained 25 lbs back. I had kept the weight off all this time but I had a very difficult year last year and I chose food for comfort.
At the beginning of the year I decided it was time to get back to where I was ie: lose 30 lbs.
I didn't want to eat out of the box again so I counted macros. I lost 6 lbs the first few weeks,, then nothing. I didn't lose an ounce for 4 weeks! I got into the NS box and worked that program and lost 2 lbs the first week. WTH??
Does counting macros just not work for some people? I did Atkins for a month without one cheat and didn't lose a pound.
I'm so confused.
I'm 56. I work out 4 times a week.
I felt so full and so bloated the whole time I was counting macros. With NS most of my calories come from carbs...

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Macro's don't mean anything if you're over your calories. Were you weighing your food and tracking calories? If not you were probably over eating.

Rigger
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    I've been doing macros and my loss stalled for a few weeks as well. Turns out I was eating too much. I overestimated my TDEE by using the calculators on all the sites that everyone recommends. I actually burn at a sedentary rate most days, even though I've been exercising 5-6 days per week! I lowered my calorie intake last week by 200 cals a day and lost 2 lbs last week. I know a 200 calorie deficit per day does not equal 2 lbs for the week, but it was as if my bod just didn't want to give up the weight till I lowered the intake a bit.

Is there a way to see how many calories a day NS is giving you and maybe set your cals to that number for a while? I don't know anything about NS, so I don't know if they give you that information on the packaging or not.

That said, I have seen a SIGNIFICANT difference in my body comp having done macros for about a month and a half. My baby tummy is melting away FINALLY, even though I've only lost 8 lbs. Good luck!
  • Mecho21
    Mecho21 Posts: 3
    I don't know what exactly you mean by "counting macros". I do believe that macronutrient ratio is one of the most important things for your health and energy along with micronutrients and eating enough calories. But you should let us know what your macro ratios are so we can advise on that if you want us to :)

Also I would recommend getting rid of your scale and measuring your success in terms of body fat % or measuring tape measurements. I don't think measuring weight was ever a good way of showing your health. Unless you are showing very large progress like 400lbs to 180 lbs.