e cig recommendation?

Options
I'm really wanting to quit smoking, I'm 33 and have smoked since I was 15. Terrible, I know. I have heard many good things about e-cigs. Anybody have a recommendation for one they've tried and used with success?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used a Joyetech eGo-T with a vivi nova tank. I prefer tank systems for less hassle. Personally wasn't a fan of any of the "cigalikes"...subpar battery life and really, I just didn't want anything that looked or remotely felt like a cigarette.

I was a 2-3 PAD smoker for about 20 years and the e-cig definitely made quitting a lot easier for me. I had tried multiple times to quit using various methods and the e-cig was really the only thing that worked for me. That said, it's not "magic"...you still have to make that conscious decision to pick up your PV rather than a cig, but as the days and weeks go by it gets a lot easier.

I haven't had a cigarette since Sept 20, 2012. When I started with the e-cig I went started with the 2nd highest does of nicotine in my e-juice. I went in with the idea that this was just harm reduction and to help me quit, so I slowly but surely cut back on the nicotine until I was at zero. I still vaped zero nicotine for a couple of months, but then my battery gave out and I just gave it up all together....so I've also been vapor free since mid summer 2013.

This forum is also a wealth of information....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I use White Cloud. They have refill cartridges so you don't have to fill with liquid. Using them for a year and a half, great customer service, and we're saving about $3-400/month.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'm really wanting to quit smoking, I'm 33 and have smoked since I was 15. Terrible, I know. I have heard many good things about e-cigs. Anybody have a recommendation for one they've tried and used with success?
    My biggest recommendation? Buy them at a store if you're gonna try them NOT online. Most online merchants are free trial offers and they will send you "replenishments" at a high dollar amount if you keep them past the 5/7/10/14/etc. day trial and immediately charge your debit card.

I work at a financial services company handling disputed or fraudulent charges on debit and credit cards and we handle a ton of e-cig disputes. Just saying...

Also as a general rule: Always look at "scam"-tracking Websites before buying anything online anywhere other than the well-known ones to see the common complaints so you don't get surprised.

Off my soapbox now...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    My biggest recommendation? Buy them at a store if you're gonna try them NOT online. Most online merchants are free trial offers and they will send you "replenishments" at a high dollar amount if you keep them past the 5/7/10/14/etc. day trial and immediately charge your debit card.

I work at a financial services company handling disputed or fraudulent charges on debit and credit cards and we handle a ton of e-cig disputes. Just saying...

Also as a general rule: Always look at "scam"-tracking Websites before buying anything online anywhere other than the well-known ones to see the common complaints so you don't get surprised.

Off my soapbox now...

If you go through a reputable dealer like Joytech this is a non-issue. But yeah...stay away from anything claiming "free-trial offer"...those are scams...but there are a lot of legit e-cig stores and companies on-line.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'd just quit altogether. What's the use in replacing one addiction w/ another?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    If you really want to quit, then just quit. I quit almost 10 years ago now cold turkey. Was it hard? To an extent, but I don't believe that "simulated" smoking relieves the actual habit of needing nicotine. With an e cig, you'd still have the same habits of smoking just without the smoke.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I would like to try e-cigs. The gum is nasty, and with the patches, I always eventually went back to smoking. I just don't know anything about them, what the different systems are, how they work, where to buy them.

I really need to solve the mystery of the elusive ecig.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you really want to quit, then just quit. I quit almost 10 years ago now cold turkey. Was it hard? To an extent, but I don't believe that "simulated" smoking relieves the actual habit of needing nicotine. With an e cig, you'd still have the same habits of smoking just without the smoke.

IDEA Fitness member

I just love when people are like "just stop then".

Myself and OP both started smoking younger. The addiction becomes a part of one's personality when starting at early age. This is been heavily documented. It's just not something that some people can just walk away from.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Can't really go wrong with an eGo variant to start with. eGo Spinner battery and a Kanger tank of some description is a reliable and well performing entry point.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've found the itaste v3 to be pretty good :) Good luck xxx
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I'd just quit altogether. What's the use in replacing one addiction w/ another?

As I stated in my post, I tried pretty much everything to no avail. Nothing wrong with harm reduction therapy on your way to being done altogether. I'm free of both now...so it wasn't replacing one addiction w/ another...it's no different than using the gum or patches, etc.
  • purpledaisy4
    Options
    starting off maybe an ego set up then move onto my fave the Vamo its awesome
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I use the itaste MVP, with a pro tank. Just replace your wicks very often (I like fresh wicks!) And you'll be fine :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I just love when people are like "just stop then".

Myself and OP both started smoking younger. The addiction becomes a part of one's personality when starting at early age. This is been heavily documented. It's just not something that some people can just walk away from.
    I didn't start too young, but smoked for just over 20 years. I don't believe it's part of a personality, but just a habit. And habits can be broken or change with consistent repetition. I didn't decide one day "Hey I'm just going to quit", I strategically planned a day and 2 months later just quit. Leading up to it I reduced how much I smoked, then took a deep breath and did it when the day hit. And for 2 months I dreamt of smoking, and got really antsy after eating (which is when I really wanted to smoke), but I REALLY did want to quit, so I stuck with it.
    Smoking is the one big regret in my life because I know I could be more aerobically fit than I am now and it did nothing for me except drain my bank account.

IDEA Fitness member