OMG I am so sore!

Options
OK - I started a bodyweight work out that I am trying to do every other day and I started off pretty slow - no even getting through all the circuits 3 times. And I try to get some cardio in on the other days. Well Saturday I made it through all the exercises 3 times, like it said (Yay for me) and then Sunday I went roller skating all afternoon with the kids (something we do every weekend).

Anyway My legs are SOOOOO SORE that I can hardly walk. I've tried stretching and a warm bath to relax a bit, besides drinking lots of water - any other ideas to help me recover - because I don't want to hurt myself by trying to do another workout while I am sore, but I also don't want to lose momentum.

I've haven't worked out much for a LONG LONG time, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I know - no pain, no gain (or loss!!) but I didn't feel bad when I was doing it - so I didn't expect to be this stiff a few days later and I can't remember any tricks I had learned in the past to help me loosen back up.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What you're experiencing is totally normal and although it sounds weird, the absolute WORST thing you can do is NOT work out! You're sore because your body isn't used to working out. What will happen when you stop working out until the soreness goes away is that your body just never gets used to it and you will keep being sore every single time. They may not be the best workouts but continue to work out normally even while sore, it'll actually help your body to recover and get used to the new routine you're asking of it.

Keep stretching afterwards, have those baths, keep working out and the soreness WILL lessen in a week or two!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pink - I know its normal - just trying to see is there was anything else I could do to loosen up. I know I need to keep moving and work through it - (the other day I did 3 sets of 20 body squats and then 3 sets of 20 walking lunges) Today it hurt to unload the bottom rack of the dishwasher! LOL - I will try to work through it and get some in - I know it won't be 3-20 sets, but I supposed even 1/2 that would be good! My arms aren't as bad - only a little sore (so I plan to work them more and give the legs a little recovery).

Just trying to make sure that I wasn't missing something else out there to help me along.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try a cold bath instead. Heat may feel better, but cold will heal better...
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for 19 months now. Each month I do a different routine. At the beginning of each month ...new routine I always get sore but I don't stop and the pain does go away.