2 questions..TDEE and exercise mins on equipment

Options
1st question........I have gone to Scoobie and my TDEE = 1598... I entered light exercise 1-3hrs weekly..ok question is do I eat back my exercise calories +1598 cals or are the exercise burns already calculated and I should eat only 1598 cals.

2nd question.....I have a recumbent bike (stationary bike) if it says that 30 minutes I burned 332 cals can I rely on its reading so that if I am doing MFP....I could eat 332 cals back.

thank you :blushing:

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    1 - Scooby calculator really over-estimates calories. Use "Free Dieting Calculator" instead. And no, you don't eat back 1,500+ calories. Don't eat any of those back.

2 - Some say eat the exercise calories back, some don't. Personally, I do not. One reason is the actual calories burned are VERY, and I mean VERY off. So yes, you did burn off calories, but no one really knows exactly how many.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If you do the TDEE method then it takes exercise into account, so you shouldn't eat back exercise calories.

I don't know if the burn in the bike is accurate, but when I used a HRM I burnt less than that in 45 mins of a hardcore spinning class. Of course, it all depends on weight, fitness etc.
  • princess71080
    princess71080 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In regards to the calories it is listing you are burning on the bike, I would definitely advise you to NOT go off of that. I have found them to be HIGHLY inaccurate, as is most of the calories MFP says I burn on various exercises. I made the decision to buy a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) to monitor actual calories burned during a workout. And while I am sure it is not 100% accurate, it is certainly much more on target than the calorie counter on the bike or MFP. Example: In a 60 min Zumba class I will burn 600-700 calories according to my heart rate monitor. MFP says I burned 893 by their calculations- way off! Same with the calorie counters on the machines- I will ride the recumbant bike for 30 minutes and the bike counter will say I burned say 273 calories when my heart rate monitor shows 123. I believe the difference comes from the fact that my monitor accounts for my age, weight, height and sex as well as accurately monitoring my heart rate. It's just not possible for most exercise equipment to do so. Honestly, it was the best $70 I have ever spent and I have worn it for 2 years now while working out five times a week. I love it and I always recommend it to my friends and family when they are looking to track their workouts. :) Good luck with everything!
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @Martyqueen52.....ok so I went to free dieting and it gives me 1520 to eat daily...but what if I do exercise on top of that and burn 400 does that not make a NET of 1120 cals eaten at the end of the day. I guess thats what I don't understand
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Do not trust the machines! I entered all my stats into my treadmill last week and did my 5 mile jog/walk; the treadmill said 701 calories, my BodyMedia fit 462.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Are you sure 1598 isn't your BMR? Or did you already take (for example) 20% to GET the 1598?

but with TDEE method you don't count exercise or 'eat back' any calories. You can log it on here (say 30 minutes on the treadmill) but in the box for calories burned just put 1.
  • scorpio3322
    Options
    Katz81....I am 190lbs...5'1'....66 years old...female...and I do 50 minutes of cycling each day and some weight lifting 5lbs each arm...what do you think it should be
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    you can put your info into sites like free fitness, scoobys, or fitness frog. If they're different, which they probably will be you can get an average of your TDEE, try that a few weeks and see where you're at.

Those sites will give your TDEE based on your info/stats. Most people 20% of their TDEE to get the number of calories to eat each day. With TDEE there is no worrying about exercise calories because that's already factored in.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • scorpio3322
    Options
    you can put your info into sites like free fitness, scoobys, or fitness frog. If they're different, which they probably will be you can get an average of your TDEE, try that a few weeks and see where you're at.

Those sites will give your TDEE based on your info/stats. Most people 20% of their TDEE to get the number of calories to eat each day. With TDEE there is no worrying about exercise calories because that's already factored in.

thanks for the info