Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Am I the only one who doesn't like Thintervention or Biggest

I just don't like these 'reality' weight loss shows.

Thintervention was on while I was at the gym today, and it was closed captioned. It seems like they spend too much time getting 'torn down' and made to feel inadequate since they are FAT, and they'll be happy once they lose weight. The negativity was just too much and made ME feel worse. No way will I watch a MINUTE of that again. I'll find a different machine somewhere else from that TV.

I think we need to learn to love ourselves as we ARE, and get fit for health reasons, not because we're not worthy of a date or happiness if we don't.

The blond chick tonight was CRUEL from what I saw to the other gal at dinner. WOW!!!!!!!!! I was ready to rip her head off for being so mean to the brunette girl. I couldn't tell what the guys were saying, but, wow.

These shows do NOT inspire me. They make me feel WORSE. So many of them, I would LOVE to be their 'fat' size, yet they are told that they are FAT, UGLY and no one will want them. So, what does that make those of us who are bigger??

Anyone else??

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I don't like them because it's very little about health and nutrition, and a whole lot about "good TV" the more drama the better.

and I can't stand Jillian...UGH
  • I don't really like these shows either. I just like to see them at the end to see how happy they are. But yeah, a lot of the fitness experts are just plain rude. People being jerks doesn't really inspire me. It just makes me see how judgy a lot of people are. Lame and boo :(

However, I liked the first season of Dance Your *kitten* Off - back when they could still say "*kitten*" - the judges really seemed to encourage them to embrace themselves. All the contestants were pretty nice to each other, it was a competition but everyone seemed really nice and really happy, and they all did so great.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    However, I liked the first season of Dance Your *kitten* Off - back when they could still say "*kitten*" - the judges really seemed to encourage them to embrace themselves. All the contestants were pretty nice to each other, it was a competition but everyone seemed really nice and really happy, and they all did so great.
    Same here. DYAO was the only reality 'weight-loss' show I watched. It was just so fun and they didn't seem to be hateful or dramatic, either.
    I refuse to watch Biggest Loser and this is the first I've heard of "Thintervention" and "Too Fat for 15."
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    I've never seen or heard of Thintervention. I do watch Biggest Loser and I'm looking forward to season 10 tonight. I find the show motivating because I see these VERY large people exercising beyond their limits and think...if they can do that, so can I!

That said, I actually prefer the Canadian weight loss show X-Weighted because it's more realistic. People aren't dropping 50lbs in a week. The show encourages healthy eating and exercising as part of an overall lifestyle change.

Edited to add: X-Weighted's last season focussed on families and obese children. It was amazing to see how many parents really have no clue about exercise and nutrition and how much the families struggled with the changes. Again...realistic. Most people arent secluded at a ranch for weeks at a time, this show shows families going about their daily lives while trying to make these changes. They're also kinda left on their own to make the changes - they're given help/advice and guidance in the beginning but then it's up to them to make the changes. I like that. Most of us don't have the luxury of having a personal trainer living with us.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    For me, I kind of like those shows. I agree that they are in no way based on reality or real weight loss. But what I take from them is entertainment (and they are entertaining, for me at least) and some extreme workouts from the trainers which I integrate into some of my own workouts.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    I've heard of Biggest Loser but I've never watched the show.

I don't watch much television and reality shows are not my idea of entertainment.

Karen
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    I don't like them either! They are not based on reality and how people should really lose weight. I mean if I had that kind of help, etc I might not be the weight I am today, but I wouldn't have learned anything though.

I think they are mean and over the top. I do not like Julian at all. She annoys me to no end.
  • I'm with you -- I don't like them. I always feel so bad for the people on the shows that I don't get any entertainment value from them.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    They are not something that I enjoy. I feel horrible for making people an object of entertainment because they are "fat". I know that if someone watched me jog they would probably find it hilarious as well. I know a number of people who watch the shows just to make fun of the contestants, and that disgusts me. Plus, I have heard that most of the people gain all the weight back when they go back to lving their normal lives. Without the personal chef and trainers and such, they have not really learned anything.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    No thanks. "Reality" TV is not for me. Those people are out for the $$ or 15 minutes of fame. In my opinion the people on those two shows are done a great disservice. They only use the knowledge about nutrition and exercise during the show because they have to. After the show is done for the season (or they get taken from the show) they go back to old habits and regain the weight.
  • Chris - I could not agree with you more if I were your sister!!! I hate these shows. I guess I understand folks like them for entertainment, but I just do not wholly agree with making someone the focus of a "reality" show because of their weight. How can that be positive thing, no matter what they lose. I don't find any show that puts focus on appearances appealing. I genuinely believe that the Miss America pageants of my youth somehow added to my insecurities as a young girl because I've always been fat. I never, ever felt good enough. Perhaps that's an issue with me, but it is hard enough to live this life with imperfections. I don't need anyone else making size THE subject of a reality show! You are absolutely correct -- this journey is not about fat or how we look. It's about eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. If I lose weight and have a giant wart grown on the end of my nose, will there be a reality show about warts?! Really, people, we need to learn to love ourselves just as we are and accept that we are all different. I may never, ever be as thin as a runway model (or the runway that she's walking on, for goodness sakes), but I still have intelligence, kindness and great human value. I just want to be a healthy person! My two cents for what they're worth! Best, Cheryl

P.S. Have to go back to one of your earlier blogs about being proud of yourself -- your list. I need to re-read that today to boost my resolve! Thanks! :happy: