An Easy-to-Follow, Cheap Diet That Fills You Up Longer?

Options
So, I was trying to follow the Wheat Belly diet for about a week. I tried to eat plenty of veggies, nuts and (limited) fruit. However, while it would fill me up initially, I would end up being hungry in about 30 minutes with just a serving size or two of each! I want to lose weight and follow a diet, I really do... But how do you do that? Not to mention wheat is in everything, so that severely limits my options on pretty much everything.

I want to know a cheap meal plan that will keep me fuller longer, with fewer calories.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to reduce or eliminate wheat from your intake. A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight and this can be done with all types of foods.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm on an extremely tight budget. My husband and I both only have part-time jobs, so we don't have money for fancy-pants shakes or pills. I try to find cheap, delicious, healthy foods. Eggs are one. Since we live on the West Coast, fish like salmon tends to be low cost, too. If you're in the Midwest, perhaps chicken will be cheaper. If you're outside the US, then whatever is local tends to be cheaper. That's true about produce.

I know you're looking for some sort of "Diet Plan" like South Beach or something, but I've found that the most cost effective, and healthiest is to eat at a slight calorie deficit, get a bit of exercise, and try and keep your macros balanced (I personally try to get 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein and it seems to work for me).
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Inherently when you don't generally know what's going on inside your body you tend to follow whatever diet is trending hoping that it will do its magic. Hate to break it to you but you have to start with the basics. We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch. Some of us begin our journey way out of shape and on all kinds of chemicals. Others begin with a basket full of allergies and sensitivities.

Despite your age we are all living in a toxic world. Toxins are in the water, food and air. Ingesting these toxins alters our bodies normal state.

Here are 12 steps to start with that will help you start living healthier. Try eliminating one of these at a time and see how your body responds.

1. Eliminate sugar - (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS) and all foods that contain flour and starches.

2. Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for calories that formerly came from sugar and flour.

3. Eliminate gluten grains and starches. Eliminate grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor. No bread. No foods made from flour better known as sugar. No white potatoes or other high starch foods which is converted to sugar once you eat them.

4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with Ghee, butter, animal fats, or coconut oil. Use no temperate plant oils like corn, canola, flax, walnut, peanut, etc.

5. Favor ruminants like beef, lamb and bison for your red meat. Eat High Omega 3 Free Range eggs and cold water fish.

6. Make sure you are Vitamin D3 replete. Get daily midday sun or consider supplementation.

7. Eating 2 or 3 meals a day is best. Don't graze like a herbivore.

8. Attend to your Omega 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison has a more optimal 6:3 ratio, more vitamins and CLA. If you can't eat enough pastured products, eat plenty of cold water fish.

9. Get proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions.

10. Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Eliminate those bags of sugar like apples. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation. If you are not trying to lose fat, a few pieces of approved fruit a week after working out are fine.

11. Eliminate legumes - peanuts, soy, dried beans (pinto, lima, butter, northern, etc.). Legumes contain anti-nutrients, especially phytic acid and protease inhibitors, which hinder digestion and absorption of nutrients.

12. Avoid dairy products like milk and soft cheeses.

Good luck!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Don't follow the advice of the poster above me. You don't have to eliminate sugar and flour and follow a laundry list of dos and don'ts (fruit is like candy bars?:huh: ). It's all about making smart choices and figuring out what works for you. Fad diets probably won't--or at least they won't if you want to actually keep the weight off.

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I have to make smart choices when I grocery shop. I never go into the grocery store without a meal plan and a list. I plan my meals for the week around what lean proteins are on sale that week (or else I go into the freezer to get things that I stocked up on when they were on sale). I eat mostly chicken breasts, ground turkey, and ground chicken. I also try to eat fish and beef a few times a month so I don't get sick of so much poultry.

Canned tuna is an excellent cheap source of protein. Store-brand tuna was on sale for 88 cents a can last week, so I stocked up. 88 cents for 26g of protein is a steal. I also eat a lot of eggs, both for breakfast and hard boiled. Beans are filled with protein and fiber and will help you stay full longer. A pound of dried beans is usually around $2, and it will feed you quite a few times. Canned beans are good, too, but I'd say try to buy the low-sodium ones and rinse them well before you use them.

Proteins and produce are what I spend most of my grocery money on. I try to buy complex carbs in bulk, and I keep frozen vegetables on hand for when I'm out of fresh ones or in a hurry. I also try to keep my freezer stocked with leftovers for days or weeks when I'm too busy to cook.

Cooking from scratch is the cheapest way to eat healthy, and though planning, shopping, and cooking may seem like a lot to juggle at first, you can get used to it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eliminate anything - just excess calories...Pleas do not fall in the trap of "sugar is evil, grain is evil, toxins are everywhere, and all the crazy stuff that will make you go and eat a pint of ice cream....

Do what writergeek told you - that works, it's sustainable and it's affordable...Eliminate obsessive "wheat belly, don;t eat this and that people" and you will be successful....
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So, I was trying to follow the Wheat Belly diet for about a week. I tried to eat plenty of veggies, nuts and (limited) fruit.

I don't see a whole lot of protein or healthy fat in there. Did you actually read the book?
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Exactly - following a low carb diet with no protein? No wonder it's not working.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Inherently when you don't generally know what's going on inside your body you tend to follow whatever diet is trending hoping that it will do its magic. Hate to break it to you but you have to start with the basics. We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch. Some of us begin our journey way out of shape and on all kinds of chemicals. Others begin with a basket full of allergies and sensitivities.

Despite your age we are all living in a toxic world. Toxins are in the water, food and air. Ingesting these toxins alters our bodies normal state.

Here are 12 steps to start with that will help you start living healthier. Try eliminating one of these at a time and see how your body responds.

1. Eliminate sugar - (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS) and all foods that contain flour and starches.

2. Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for calories that formerly came from sugar and flour.

3. Eliminate gluten grains and starches. Eliminate grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor. No bread. No foods made from flour better known as sugar. No white potatoes or other high starch foods which is converted to sugar once you eat them.

4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with Ghee, butter, animal fats, or coconut oil. Use no temperate plant oils like corn, canola, flax, walnut, peanut, etc.

5. Favor ruminants like beef, lamb and bison for your red meat. Eat High Omega 3 Free Range eggs and cold water fish.

6. Make sure you are Vitamin D3 replete. Get daily midday sun or consider supplementation.

8. Attend to your Omega 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison has a more optimal 6:3 ratio, more vitamins and CLA. If you can't eat enough pastured products, eat plenty of cold water fish.

9. Get proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions.

10. Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Eliminate those bags of sugar like apples. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation. If you are not trying to lose fat, a few pieces of approved fruit a week after working out are fine.

11. Eliminate legumes - peanuts, soy, dried beans (pinto, lima, butter, northern, etc.). Legumes contain anti-nutrients, especially phytic acid and protease inhibitors, which hinder digestion and absorption of nutrients.

Good luck!

OP - ignore this entire post. It's utter nonsense.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Good luck!

This is crazy talk!
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    Eat healthy, whole foods, cooked at home. Getting healthy with proper diet will save you THOUSANDS over the course of your life in medical expenses.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Good luck!

2ibgciw.gif
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Good luck!

2ibgciw.gif

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to get the book - so no, I haven't read it. I have read the general guidelines online, however. I guess I forgot to write that I've been eating meat as well. I thought I could get protein out of nuts and meat?

Anyway, I guess I'll try to stop the obsessive "wheat free" stuff, but still try to eat healthier. It seems like some of you (not including the lengthy poster) know what you're talking about. I guess I'll try to do more food prep instead of just quick fixes. I kinda feel like an idiot for trying to avoid it, but at least I'll start trying now.

Thanks!
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    All it takes is 21 days for something to become habit.

Start slowly, try picking two nights a week for a really healthy meal and a walk, all its takes is a little mental discipline and before you know it its habit, the ball is rolling and your away doing loads more exercise cooking with stuff you never thought you would.

Eggs, Spinich, Tinned beans, Oats, Yoghurt the essential sweet chili sauce which makes anything taste nice, You often see fruit 2 for 1 etc buy and stick it in the freezer, works really well with oats for breakfast or overnight oats which you make the night before.

Overall good luck and baby steps,

(unless your like me and said enough is enough and cut bread/pasta/potato completely out of my diet, lost half a stone, started swimming now running and cycling, (but i only need to lose 3 stone so not a major amount and i am in no major rush so working on a stone every 6 months atm)
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options

Good luck!

As soon as I started reading this I was like, "noooooooooooo!" lol What you have said is blasphemy for a lot of people here who have never done anything but calories in vs. calories out. It is not worth your breath to say these things here.

OP - do your own research and experiment, what works for one doesn't work for everyone. If you find a plan that looks interesting use the search up top to find a group who is doing it and ask your questions there where you will get more appropriate answers. The general forums are peed on and the territory marked by low fat/everything in moderation/calories in vs calories out gangs - you will get nothing but this.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to get the book - so no, I haven't read it. I have read the general guidelines online, however. I guess I forgot to write that I've been eating meat as well. I thought I could get protein out of nuts and meat?

Anyway, I guess I'll try to stop the obsessive "wheat free" stuff, but still try to eat healthier. It seems like some of you (not including the lengthy poster) know what you're talking about. I guess I'll try to do more food prep instead of just quick fixes. I kinda feel like an idiot for trying to avoid it, but at least I'll start trying now.

Thanks!

Don't feel like an idiot! Food prep doesn't always have to be super time-consuming. On busy weeks, it can just be a matter of making sure you have healthy staples on hand for quick meals or cutting up enough veggies for a few days of snacks.

My job keeps me really busy through the week, so I take a few hours on Sunday afternoons/evenings and do most of my cooking for the week. I figure out how big my portions should be, log all my recipes on here, and have a general sense of how many calories my meals will be and how much wiggle room I should have.

It can seem like a pain at first to log and keep track of everything, but before long you'll be a pro!
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to follow a diet? just eat what you want but practice portion control and watch your ins VS outs, exercise and drink your water. I had to laugh a girl at work commented how we must be following the same fad diet, can't remember the name, I told her I had no clue what she was talking about I just bring a bunch of veggies to snack on at work and regular food... you don't have to pay a bunch of money or label something for it to work :happy: