A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie

Options
123457»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read so thanks for sharing. That fits with the two doctors and certified nutritionist who told me I should be eating low carb. I'm insulin resistant though so maybe that wouldn't be the best recommendation for everyone, but based on that article it certainly looks like anyone who is actively trying to lose weight should be low carb at least part of the time. Perhaps try carb cycling? (Google it) Carbs are frequently made up of highly-processed foods that we probably shouldn't be eating anyway.

BTW I probably won't be checking back to see if anyone actually responds to this so if you have a negative comment to make then don't bother, because I won't see it.

Hey look, I'm going to make a controversial comment I know people will disagree with and then promise not to check back! Whatever.

Carbs are made of highly processed foods we shouldn't be eating?
    so no more fruit.

got it.

I know, right? I thought this website for adults only. That's pretty childish right there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read so thanks for sharing. That fits with the two doctors and certified nutritionist who told me I should be eating low carb. I'm insulin resistant though so maybe that wouldn't be the best recommendation for everyone, but based on that article it certainly looks like anyone who is actively trying to lose weight should be low carb at least part of the time. Perhaps try carb cycling? (Google it) Carbs are frequently made up of highly-processed foods that we probably shouldn't be eating anyway.

BTW I probably won't be checking back to see if anyone actually responds to this so if you have a negative comment to make then don't bother, because I won't see it.

Hey look, I'm going to make a controversial comment I know people will disagree with and then promise not to check back! Whatever.

so no more fruit.

got it.

lolz I was thinking the same thing ...

might as well of said "the earth is flat" oh and by the way don't comment because I am not coming back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so no more fruit.

got it.

I know, right? I thought this website for adults only. That's pretty childish right there.

you ain't seen nothing yet...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

When you can't back up your BS...................
    th?id=HN.608022749037004016&pid=15.1
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Guys stop. I don't like it when mommy and daddy fight. =((((((((
  • Mzcotton78
    Mzcotton78 Posts: 11
    Options
    Somehow the kekwick fat fast seems to be working for me though.... I've never lost weight so fast in my life. Was in ketosis in ONE day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Here's a new study... I think on MFP we call this magic.

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/19/abstract#
    The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals

Abstract
    Background

The consumption of dietary protein is important for resistance-trained individuals. It has been posited that intakes of 1.4 to 2.0 g/kg/day are needed for physically active individuals. Thus, the purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of a very high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained men and women.
    Methods

Thirty healthy resistance-trained individuals participated in this study (mean ± SD; age: 24.1 ± 5.6 yr; height: 171.4 ± 8.8 cm; weight: 73.3 ± 11.5 kg). Subjects were randomly assigned to one of the following groups: Control (CON) or high protein (HP). The CON group was instructed to maintain the same training and dietary habits over the course of the 8 week study. The HP group was instructed to consume 4.4 grams of protein per kg body weight daily. They were also instructed to maintain the same training and dietary habits (e.g. maintain the same fat and carbohydrate intake). Body composition (Bod Pod®), training volume (i.e. volume load), and food intake were determined at baseline and over the 8 week treatment period.
    Results

The HP group consumed significantly more protein and calories pre vs post (p < 0.05). Furthermore, the HP group consumed significantly more protein and calories than the CON (p < 0.05). The HP group consumed on average 307 ± 69 grams of protein compared to 138 ± 42 in the CON. When expressed per unit body weight, the HP group consumed 4.4 ± 0.8 g/kg/d of protein versus 1.8 ± 0.4 g/kg/d in the CON. There were no changes in training volume for either group. Moreover, there were no significant changes over time or between groups for body weight, fat mass, fat free mass, or percent body fat.
    Conclusions

Consuming 5.5 times the recommended daily allowance of protein has no effect on body composition in resistance-trained individuals who otherwise maintain the same training regimen. This is the first interventional study to demonstrate that consuming a hypercaloric high protein diet does not result in an increase in body fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's a new study... I think on MFP we call this magic.

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/19/abstract#
    The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals

Abstract
    Background

The consumption of dietary protein is important for resistance-trained individuals. It has been posited that intakes of 1.4 to 2.0 g/kg/day are needed for physically active individuals. Thus, the purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of a very high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained men and women.
    Methods

Thirty healthy resistance-trained individuals participated in this study (mean ± SD; age: 24.1 ± 5.6 yr; height: 171.4 ± 8.8 cm; weight: 73.3 ± 11.5 kg). Subjects were randomly assigned to one of the following groups: Control (CON) or high protein (HP). The CON group was instructed to maintain the same training and dietary habits over the course of the 8 week study. The HP group was instructed to consume 4.4 grams of protein per kg body weight daily. They were also instructed to maintain the same training and dietary habits (e.g. maintain the same fat and carbohydrate intake). Body composition (Bod Pod®), training volume (i.e. volume load), and food intake were determined at baseline and over the 8 week treatment period.
    Results

The HP group consumed significantly more protein and calories pre vs post (p < 0.05). Furthermore, the HP group consumed significantly more protein and calories than the CON (p < 0.05). The HP group consumed on average 307 ± 69 grams of protein compared to 138 ± 42 in the CON. When expressed per unit body weight, the HP group consumed 4.4 ± 0.8 g/kg/d of protein versus 1.8 ± 0.4 g/kg/d in the CON. There were no changes in training volume for either group. Moreover, there were no significant changes over time or between groups for body weight, fat mass, fat free mass, or percent body fat.
    Conclusions

Consuming 5.5 times the recommended daily allowance of protein has no effect on body composition in resistance-trained individuals who otherwise maintain the same training regimen. This is the first interventional study to demonstrate that consuming a hypercaloric high protein diet does not result in an increase in body fat.

Did you read the full study? The authors state the subjects were in a hypocaloric state yet I didn't see them put the subjects through a weight maintenance period or calculate REE etc. 40 subjects with 10 dropouts? Not exactly a huge sample there. Self reported intake? Hmmm
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Don't make me pull the car over.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Did you read the full study? The authors state the subjects were in a hypocaloric state yet I didn't see them put the subjects through a weight maintenance period or calculate REE etc. 40 subjects with 10 dropouts? Not exactly a huge sample there. Self reported intake? Hmmm
    No, but I think someone was saying the numbers didn't add up and the response was blame MFP or something. http://caloriesproper.com/?p=4752
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No, but I think someone was saying the numbers didn't add up and the response was blame MFP or something. http://caloriesproper.com/?p=4752

The reported macros don't equal the calories stated which could be mfp error, rounding issues on labels etc. Lots of things in the study make me go Hmmm esp with the authors stated conclusion