not wanting to work out..

Options
2»

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    One of the best revelations I came upon is that one does not have to be motivated in order to do something. You just do it anyway. I'm rarely motivated to go to work everyday, but I do it. When I'm not motivated to work out, I just do it anyway. It's a simple concept but when you fully grasp it and embrace it, it has some very profound implications. Just let go of the idea of 'motivation'

Right?? Unless I'm sick or something, it's just something I gotta do- work out 4x's a week. I can adjust the days I go to fit my needs, adjust my work out if I have to (like if I can't get to the gym to lift, I'll run instead). But you just do it.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Stop THINKING about it and just do it. Make it so much apart of your life that it's just like breathing. It's THAT important!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this - I shed a help of weight achieved my goal and then proceeded to gain half of it all back again! You have "arrived" and think - is this it? By all means take some time out but during this time re-look at your goals - what inspired you to lose the weight in the first place? What is the next level - there is always another level - What do you want to do with a thinner you - do you want an even more fitter you to go somewhere or do something and what is the next something or somewhere? The gym may or may not be a part of your life in the future but some kind of activity in life that will keep you fit and healthy likely will be a part of your life - What do you enjoy doing sport wise, social wise the scope is almost limitless - tennis, swimming, white water rafting, dancing, fitness challenges (can you see yourself on that ninja warrior show), fitness trainer (inspire others), surfing - I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Maybe just cut back to half of what you were doing to LOSE the weight. You're maintaining now, so you can be a bit more flexible. Play around with the calories but keep up with the activity 1-3x/wk and find out what is sustainable for you. Good luck! I was in a funk over the last 6-8 weeks. I'm just now coming out of it and feel better already.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Go to Walmart and drink coffee at the MacDonalds and people watch. Look closely at the ones who look like they never go to the gym. This should motivate anyone. There but for the grace of God and the rigors of the gym go I.

These days you don't have to go to Walmart to do this...any old mall will do...sad.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I just hit maintenance this week, and since then I just don't want to go to the gym anymore. I don't know if it's because I'm on break from school, or because I feel like I'm done, but I just don't have the energy or the desire to go to the gym anymore. It's a little bit disheartening, and I don't know what I should do about it. Any ideas?
    Sometimes a person just needs a break. Could that be what's going on for you right now?

I agree with whomever said to calculate your maintenance without exercise and take a break from the gym.

Bet you a million that soon you'll be going back to the gym. Don't forget to recalculate your calorie when you decide to go back.
  • BloomsAndButterflies
    Options
    Just go. A lot of time the hardest part of getting to the gym is that first step out your front door.
  • heikejacob4
    heikejacob4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Find a workout buddy! You (hopefully) wouldn't want to stand them up, plus a little competition never hurt anyone!

Well, maybe it did ... :tongue:
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Cycles in motivation are normal.

When I don't feel the desire to do a bunch of intense anything, and I can't get over that hump, I do what other posters have said and try to do SOMETHING. Usually I can always rouse myself for yoga or to walk the dog. Often once I start I feel much better.
    I also like the Blogilates videos - they give you a serious burn but they are short. I tell myself I'm just going to do one. Sometimes I do, sometimes I keep going.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I just hit maintenance this week, and since then I just don't want to go to the gym anymore. I don't know if it's because I'm on break from school, or because I feel like I'm done, but I just don't have the energy or the desire to go to the gym anymore. It's a little bit disheartening, and I don't know what I should do about it. Any ideas?
    Not uncommon. When people hit a goal, the natural reaction get complacent. It's fine that you feel that way. However, the law of thermodynamics still continue and if you find that scale creeping up again, you'll know that your energy output isn't the same as before.
    You don't need to work out super hard or intense at this point, just get in some minimal work just to burn some calories and keep your health up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Try setting goals at the gym you want to break. If you lift weights, setting a new PR might be one.