will yoga help my training?

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    I love yoga and IMO it helps.
    You get get some books out of the library and there are classes on demand and online if you want to try it out.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I don't Yoga though. I'm not into things I can't learn at home.

Why can't you learn it at home?

It wasn't a serious comment, but rather a sarcastic jab at the insistence that even basic Yoga reacquires an instructor.

I'm actually familiar with the DoYogaWithMe site and have been using their strength stretches after my strength workout for the past two weeks. At home. Unsupervised.
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Okay and . . .

I never said anyone couldn't learn it at home. I said I think it's beneficial to have an instructor because form is important.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    YOGA is the best for everything....I know people that are in great shape and all they do is yoga...nothing else, so go for it
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    You can lift at home, given the right equipment, as well as you can do yoga, pilates, or whatever you want at home. If you're a novice, most instructors will definitely have good advice on form regardless of what type of exercise you're doing... but it doesn't mean you must have an instructor to exercise.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    I go through phases of incorporating yoga into my workout routine, right now I've been slacking off because of lack of time due to everything else going on in my life. I do hot yoga, which is just yoga in a room heated to 95-104 degrees, it doesn't generate any harder of a work out (per my HRM I wore the other night) you just sweat more. But I would say that along with others, I believe there is a right and wrong way to do yoga, I witness my instructors correcting people in the most simple pose (downward dog) all the time because they aren't doing it right and putting too much stress on their shoulders.

It does work wonders for stretching and flexibility. When I was going 3-4 times a week, I was SUPER flexible.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

It wasn't a serious comment, but rather a sarcastic jab at the insistence that even basic Yoga reacquires an instructor.

I'm actually familiar with the DoYogaWithMe site and have been using their strength stretches after my strength workout for the past two weeks. At home. Unsupervised.

Ah, sarcasm....

they really need to invent that font...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

This is why I sometimes find myself lumping yoga in with Chiropractic and holistic medicine. When it's stretching and a bit of fitness, I'm completely on board, but when its adherents turn it into some mystical thing that can only be properly handed down yogi to student, I have to chuckle.
  • Crescent_Meadows
    Crescent_Meadows Posts: 61 Member

This is why I sometimes find myself lumping yoga in with Chiropractic and holistic medicine. When it's stretching and a bit of fitness, I'm completely on board, but when its adherents turn it into some mystical thing that can only be properly handed down yogi to student, I have to chuckle.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that yoga should be done at a studio because it is "mystical." The main assertion is that doing yoga in a studio or class helps prevent injuries because the instructor can look out for bad form or give more detailed explanations of how the poses should safely be done.

My own opinion on this is that you definetely get something more out doing yoga with a instructor (whether it is tips, alignment adjustments, or just encouragement). However, basic yoga poses are safe from home as long as you've looked over some instructional material (such as a DVD or book on poses). There are some poses that really should atleast be learned from an instructor before practiced at home though, such as headstands, to prevent injury.

I also run and lift and love yoga for rounding-out my physical fitness. It helps me stretch, has taught me to concentrate on and control my breathing, and brings me peace of mind :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Ah, sarcasm....

they really need to invent that font...

Arial works for me.
  • Not only will yoga help with your training - it will help with your LIFE!

NAMASTE!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Yoga will complete your workout goals - it is a balance to all others and will definitely help you. I have been practicing for many years and truthfully, when life gets hard there is only so much cardio that my body can take but with yoga, it is something I can do all the time.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    I would look into you for injury prevention and core stability. I personally find that regular yoga makes me run horribly, I don't know about the rest of the world but that's what happens!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

I don't think anyone is arguing that yoga should be done at a studio because it is "mystical." The main assertion is that doing yoga in a studio or class helps prevent injuries because the instructor can look out for bad form or give more detailed explanations of how the poses should safely be done.

My own opinion on this is that you definetely get something more out doing yoga with a instructor (whether it is tips, alignment adjustments, or just encouragement). However, basic yoga poses are safe from home as long as you've looked over some instructional material (such as a DVD or book on poses). There are some poses that really should atleast be learned from an instructor before practiced at home though, such as headstands, to prevent injury.

I also run and lift and love yoga for rounding-out my physical fitness. It helps me stretch, has taught me to concentrate on and control my breathing, and brings me peace of mind :)

When you added that bolded language, you clarified that we have no disagreement. Okay, maybe the peace of mind bit, but running and lifting bring me "peace of mind" so maybe it's still all good. lol
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Yoga will definitely help with your training. I did yoga videos for years. If you can't do an intermediate or advanced move, don't worry about it. It doesn't mean you get no benefit from trying it imperfectly. Eventually, your chakras will align.

The best part about yoga is your form doesn't have to be exact on basic moves, and you eventually work into better form as you stretch. The whole purpose of yoga is to gain flexibility and basic strength.

Heck, lifting will improve your yoga and cardio exercises; yoga will improve your lifting and cardio exercises; and cardio will improve your yoga and lifting. I say it is all good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I would look into you for injury prevention and core stability. I personally find that regular yoga makes me run horribly, I don't know about the rest of the world but that's what happens!

Have you tried Pilates?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Yes, yoga will help your training -- whatever your training is. It's actually known for that.

However, DO NOT try to learn yoga any way but from a qaulified instructor in a class. Once you've been doing it a while and you know what you're doing, it's OK to do on your own. But it's a lot more complicated and difficult than it looks and you can injure yourself or simply not get the benefits if you don't learn it properly with guidance.

I'm relatively certain that yoga isn't that complicated and scary. Let's not manufacture more barriers to entry than are needed

Then I'm relatively certain you aren't doing it correctly.

I'm relatively certain that you're correct. But also relatively certain that I got huge benefits from it, especially since my main reason to take it up was to increase flexibility. If I wanted something far beyond that, or wanted to try the cool *kitten* complex balancing positions, sure it would help to have an instructor.

But most beginners aren't looking for something that advanced. The OP certainly didn't indicate it. Many people don't have time or money or confidence to start a basic practice in a class setting. Telling them that NO WAY NO HOW should they start a simple routine is borderline criminal, imo. Fitness is for everyone of every budget and capability, and there's usually a low barrier to entry.

^Agreed. Any exercise (whether yoga, lifting, or even running) could benefit from having an experienced person present giving you tips. But not everyone has that option and many have proven that with the basics, it isn't necessary. Yeah, it takes some trial and error and due diligence on the person's part, but it is possible. If it wasn't, then why are so many people able to do the basics without reporting to the ER if they try out some beginner DVD/routine?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I suggest Iyengar yoga or other types where the poses are held longer than vinyasa (flowing) or power yoga if someone is learning by DVD. The instruction will be better if it's called Iyengar (they are big on form and talking about it), and so it's harder to injure yourself. The fast kinds are not a good way to learn because it's hard to get the form down and move so fast.

Some DVD instructors don't explain form enough, but videos like those from yogajournal.com are better than many of my old beginner YMCA instructors, lol.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    I found yoga helpful. :smile: