Gastric Bypass

Options
I'm just curious - how many people have had Gastric Bypass? I am just starting my journey for surgery and am nervous! Happy but nervous. I have had several dreams (including last night) where the day is here and I'm in pre-op waiting talking with the surgeon...

Replies

• yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve in August. Big thing to remember is it is a tool, not a cure. I will say I am no longer starving ALL the time. That for me is a major plus. Now I can think ahead to make meals or snack healthy, don't buy crap when I am in grocery store & think before I order @ restaurants. I am still losing SLOWLY, but am feeling good about that. :)
  • 55Megamus
    55Megamus Posts: 40
    Options
    I am on a waitlist. It will be several months before I even have my initial assessment so I'm not waiting till then to make a change, but I did put my name on the list so we will see where I am down the road when my name gets called.
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally had it, but I have 3 family member that have. My aunt and cousin had it many years ago and both have put a lot of the weight back on. The last time I saw my cousin I would guess shes pretty close to her original weight. My aunt isn't quite so bad, but still not good. My uncle only had his a couple years ago, but I can tell recently he's starting to gain. They all chose to revert back to their old eating habits. My aunt and cousin live on chips, frozen pizza and diet Pepsi. My uncle drinks a lot of beer, which I think is a lot of his problem.

My advice is to learn to eat better and try to make that a habit before surgery. So many people gain the weight back, and it's so sad. It's a lot to go through for nothing. Just be careful, and listen to the restrictions they give you. It seems like giving up a few things to be healthier is worth it, but apparently, not to everyone. Good luck to you, I know people can be successful, it just takes effort. So many people go into it thinking it's a magic fix, but you still have to change your ways or it won't work long term. I hope you will post your results once you're where you want to be weight wise. Again, I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully you can learn from other's mistakes.
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had gb Nov. 20, 2013. So far I have lost 75 lbs. I joined MFP about a month ago looking for help tracking my protein as well as having an accurate record of what I am eating and drinking. The surgery is not a magic pill or whatever. It is a tool to help in weight loss. I get really scared that I will mess up and be like others who lose then gain it back. But I know if I constantly keep track of what I am eating and my weight I have a better chance at success. I look for any support I can find in books and websites. With my family's support and my help from the Lord, I know I can do it. This is really a lifestyle change. You can do it!! The recovery wasn't as bad as I had expected. Just walk, walk walk!! Feel free to add me or ask any questions. I don't have all the answers for sure but I will help in any way I can!!
  • drapleb
    drapleb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had RNY in Oct 2008. I lost from around 360 lbs to 206 lbs. Over the last several years I have let 71 lbs creep back on, however I will say, I do NOT regret the decision. It is a tool, not a cure, as a previous poster said. I just chose to stop working the tool. I went back to bad habits (grazing and carbs). I am still much healthier and I am much more educated about nutrition because of the decision. I have many friends that I met along the way, that now have several years of maintenance with no weight gain. Get connected with a good support group, a good nutritionist, and take your vitamins. It is a very hard road, but well worth it, it taught me quite a bit about myself.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypas (RNY) in September of 2012. I have been at my goal weight for 8 months now. My experience has been great. With multiple severe health issues, including type I diabetes, staring kidney failure in the face, it has saved my life. Wouldn't change a thing.
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! My mother in law had RNY 11 years ago and has kept the weight off for 10 years. (It took her a little over a year to lose). She said she fluctuates 5-10 pounds of her goal weight a few times a year, but other than that, it's been great!
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It would be a huge help if your MIL would give you some tips to share with us!! It's so encouraging to hear success stories!