Why get a personal trainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So you can achieve with them what you cannot seem to do alone. That would be the main reason.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

ultimately this.

the reason could be related to any or all of the following or others
    > motivation
    > accountability
    > team work (2-3 people together)
    > someone pushing you
    > someone giving you a reason to be better through the week
    > giving you different work outs than your old tired routine
    > giving you feed back on form
    > teaching you new lifts
    >coaching you through a training program

if you can do it on your own- great- do it on your own. but if you are struggling -find someone who will help you achieve your goals.
    Trainers aren't for everyone- but knowing the amount of crap and fantastic 'form'/exercising at the gym- more people than not could use a solid coach.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ask the trainer for a "fitness consultation"

Tell them what you have done, and what you are trying to do and what exercises you like or might be interested in and what your goals are. They should be ablet o come up with a different workout for you, that you will enjoy and will be different.

Fitness consultations should be free of charge.

I just did this and the trainer introduced me to plyometrics and agility drills. I love it!

Secondary I feel a little lost in the gym,
    This is my exact issue. I run, kickbox, zumba, bodycombat, compound lift, targeted lifting, hike and play sports. My workouts were all over the place and not as challenging as they need to be. PT gave me direction, told me when to do what workouts so I don't over do it and hurt myself and gave me different workouts that would better help me with my goals.

I wish I could afford a trainer, but I can't. i have to rely on fitness consultations and free appointments and free seminars and offers to get them. I also pick their brains as often as I can get away with.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer once a week to work on glutes. That's where I need the most work, and I know I won't push myself as hard as I could be on glute day, so I hire her for the extra push.

My *kitten* hurts all week until the day before we meet again, so I don't consider it a waste of money at all. :smile:
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My gym offers a fitness consultation with a trainer every 6 weeks to review your goals and then to develop a workout plan for you as well as a quarterly appointment for measurements.

This is a really nice thing to have but I really like having a trainer. For one thing I have paid weekly for my trainer so that ensures that I am working hard to have more to give and learn in my sessions. The other advantage is new training ideas and someone to push me a bit harder. She gives me workouts I can do during the week on my own and they change as my fitness level and goals do.

I would reccomend trying it for a month to see if that does motivate you anymore and if you are learning from it. A month isn't a ton of money (at least at my gym) and gives you a good idea of how well you work with personal training and if it is right for you.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump... I'm thinking about it also. I need feedback and tips on my form. I don't need motivation to go to the gym but motivation/confidence to put more weight on the bar and maybe new ideas on helping me reach my goals though other types of exercise and nutrition would be a plus.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    [/quote] the reason could be related to any or all of the following or others
    > motivation
    > accountability
    > team work (2-3 people together)
    > someone pushing you
    > someone giving you a reason to be better through the week
    > giving you different work outs than your old tired routine
    > giving you feed back on form
    > teaching you new lifts
    >coaching you through a training program

if you can do it on your own- great- do it on your own. but if you are struggling -find someone who will help you achieve your goals.
    Trainers aren't for everyone- but knowing the amount of crap and fantastic 'form'/exercising at the gym- more people than not could use a solid coach.
    [/quote]
    ^^Well said.

Most gyms will give you one personal training session for free. I used this one to have them check my form on exercises I wasn't sure I was doing correctly. Most times, like at 24 where I work out, the trainers are happy to help if you say "hey will you critique my form real quick on this deadlift?" and they'll give you a minute.

I use workouts from bodybulding.com- they are free and they have 100s of them to choose from according to your goals. For me, this takes care of needing to have someone build a workout for me. I read a book called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto, which gives diet and exercise advice. MFP helps you get a baseline for where your calories should be (you need to move it up or down from there according to the results you are getting).

I motivate myself and keep myself accountable. I have written out SMART goals, and I keep them in front of me. I give working out the importance of showering (sometimes if I'm too tired, I'll just take a quick one, but won't skip for too long). I have found various workout buddies, and I have friends on here who will call me out if I haven't worked out for a while.

All that to say, you have to decide if hiring a trainer will be worth it to you. Don't put up with them spinning your wheels though (the mistake I made years ago when I had trainers). Make sure you are assertive and let them know what you feel is helpful or not helpful. Give them your measurable goals and milestones, and decide if their help is giving you enough of a boost to get there.

All the best! :flowerforyou:
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You said one comment that I relate a little to me and why I was told I needed to work with a trainer. I had a history of training hard and seriously and I had been out for long enough that there were issues I would go too fast ad hard and get injured. I must agree my trainer did have to tell me no more than once at the beginning and keep me at a slower pace than I was comfortable with. He also was able to work with me on making sure I used opposite muscle groups and kept it balanced. I didn't have to pay as much since he was just informing me what to do and changing when needed as we got to know each other. But he was keeping his eye on me and did even then kick me out at times. I could not have gotten where I am withut him without injuries.
    But with this said there are good ones and bad ones and he is good and charged only for sessions that we spent more than 15 min together but monitored weekly. Knowing where you are coming from what your goals are and if it matches with their knowledge and background and philosophy is important. Interview them ask them questions It should be personal level not gereric
  • kwlmson
    kwlmson Posts: 12
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer for the last 6 months. I'm the type of person that if I take a class or try to work out with a dvd at home I injure myself. My trainer makes sure that all exercises are done properly. She also makes it fun, every work out is different. We maybe working the same muscles but using different tools and techniques. She is totally worth it! I have never really liked to exercise. Ok I'll admit it just the thought of exercising was horrible. I now love to go to the gym. She pushes me to do more than I think I can do and is always encouraging when I have an off day. Most gyms will give you a free tryout session or at a reduced cost for the 1st time. Give it a try you won't regret it!
    :smile: