Cardio Concern

Options
Good afternoon all!!! For the past couple of weeks I have been doing some form of cardio everyday for 30-40 mins. I feel great! I haven't felt this good in a long time. My problem is I don't want to stop. I have read some place that you should take a break every couple of days to rest to prevent overtraining.. But I don't feel worn out. I actually have more energy then usual. Am I OK to keep up this routine. I'm not sure if this is considered "over training". The site I was reading said that overtraining can creep up on you and then all of a sudden you have to take a week or two off so your body can reset. (I did read it on the internet and you know everything on the internet is true..... j/k) Any thoughts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you're doing and at what intensity. What exactly are you doing for cardio.

I take two rest days per week, but I otherwise weight train a couple of times per week and put in 70-80 miles per week on my bike at various intensity levels and distances and those miles continue to increase as I am training for an event....so without the rest I would be at substantial risk for over-train injury and as I increase my mileage, I continue to be at greater risk despite rest.

By and large you need to listen to our body. I would also add that when I take a rest day, it doesn't mean I do nothing...I just don't do anything vigorous or anything that is going to substantially task my body. I usually go for about a 3 mile walk and do some yoga or something.
  • t8miller
    t8miller Posts: 10
    Options
    Here is my weekly routine.
    Mon - 15 min. Incline "speed" walk, 30-40 min. weight train, 15 min. Incline "speed" walk.
    Tues. - 15 min. Incline "speed" walk, 30-40 min. weight train, 15 min. Incline "speed" walk.
    Wed. - 40 min interval canyon run on treadmill
    Thurs. - 15 min. Incline "speed" walk, 30-40 min. weight train, 15 min. Incline "speed" walk.
    Fri. - 15 min. Incline "speed" walk, 30-40 min. weight train, 15 min. Incline "speed" walk.
    Sat. 40 min interval canyon run on treadmill
    Sun. - 40 min interval canyon run on treadmill

My intensity I would say isn't that great... I'm new to running and have been trying to work on my technique.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    t's a "listen to your body" thing for the most part. Sounds like you're OK to me.

Looking at your workout, I'd be more concerned with either boredom or working only one part of your body. If it were me, I'd want to crosstrain some (start with more core and upper body cardio work, and progress to strength workouts if you wish). But, hey, whatever gets you working out is good in my book.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I would say ride the wave. If you are new to exercise and enjoying yourself and best of all feeling better, keep it up. We all go through phases or stages. Your body will tell you when it's time for a change. You may find in time you will want to increase intensity, change exercise or just tweak what you are doing. I read the forums to see what other people are enjoying and if it peaks my interest, I buy it, try it and move on. I did insanity for 6 months, switched to j/m workouts then treadmill running and outdoor cycling, now I am doing T25. I have already purchased new rules for lifting so I will tackle that when I am done T25. Looks like your routine will assist in strengthening your heart as well as toning and strengthening overall. If you want a day off, take one, if you feel better exercising every day, do that. Unless you are training for something specific, like huge muscles as quick as possible or marathon running I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything alarming in that routine. The speed walking might put similar strain on your legs and joints that the canyon running does, but if your body doesn't complain then I wouldn't worry about it.

You could choose to play things even safer (although not necessary, I think) if you mixed in some lower impact cardio like cycling or an elliptical. I think you'd find that cycling gives you a good burn as well.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Speed walking should be pretty low impact and, really, that's the only part that is usually concerning about a new routine without any breaks. High impact activities should be kept to every other day when you are first starting out because your joints need a chance to recover. As long as you aren't starting to feel any pain, you should be fine to keep going every day, although I would highly suggest one day of "rest" each week where you stick to something like a long, slow(er) walk and some stretching.