TDEE & BFing

Options
I am a nursing mother of a toddler & have some questions regarding TDEE & breastfeeding. I want to make sure I am doing things properly. My stats are as follows:

Height: 5'3"
SW: 198 (01/01/2014)
CW 175
Activity: Light

BMR: 1500-1600
TDEE -20%: 1650-1750
BFing Toddler: 300
Total: 1950-2050

1. Am I adding my breastfeeding calorie allotment at the appropriate point in the equation? Currently I am adding them AFTER calculating TDEE-%. Is this correct, or should I be adding them to TDEE & then taking off the %?
2. Does a light activity level seem accurate for me? I don't log much official gym time (1x/wk... maybe 2x if I'm lucky) but I do have a busy toddler & an a nanny for another infant, so I'm chasing / carrying / playing with babies all day. I also make sure to hit at least 10k steps per day every day.
3. According to my understanding, given my stats I should only eat back exercise calories if they exceed 450cal (1950-1500=450). Correct, or should my BFing calories not factor in - meaning I should eat back anything over 150cal (1650-1500=150)?

These numbers seem high to me, however I also am accustomed to eating at an extreme deficit & shutting down my metabolism...

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it matters...if you add it prior to the 20% reduction you end up with about 2000 calories..

The numbers seem fine to me...I eat 1700 and still lose 1/2lb a week lifting 3x a week and HIIT 2x a week.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I agree with Stef...you burn approximately 20 calories per ounce of breastmilk produced. Unless your pumping there is no specific way to know how much you are producing, unless you are weighing your toddler before and after meals...(I had to do this with one of my children to make sure they were getting enough)..if you do a search under Community groups, there is a great Breastfeeding mom support group on here. I was a member with my last child. They are wonderful, informative, and very supportive. Best of luck!
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ...There is a great Breastfeeding mom support group on here. I was a member with my last child. They are wonderful, informative, and very supportive.

Yes, I found them & am a member. They are great! :-)
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I posted this same question on Friday, it's so confusing.

Nursing a 19 month old right here....and i'm eating 1410 plus 300 so total of 1710....my BMR is 1674 so I feel like that 1410 is too low, but that's what MFP put me at. ARGH. it's confusing.
  • ChrysalisCove
    Options
    MFP put me well below BMR from the get-go & looking back I was only netting 1200-1400cal/day the past 2 months. Granted I dropped over 20lbs, but I know that is not enough! So I have decided to go the TDEE-20% route & see how that goes. Just trying to get my calorie goals settled...
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    According to the CDC, the following activities are "Moderate".. I would suggest upping your activity level:

Actively playing with children—walking,
    running, or climbing while playing with children
    Walking while carrying a child weighing less
    than 50 lbs
    Walking while pushing or pulling a child in a
    stroller or an adult in a wheelchair
    Carrying a child weighing less than 25 lbs up a
    flight of stairs
    Child care: handling uncooperative young
    children (e.g., chasing, dressing, lifting into car
    seat), or handling several young children at
    one time
  • ChrysalisCove
    Options
    Child care: handling uncooperative young
    children (e.g., chasing, dressing, lifting into car
    seat), or handling several young children at
    one time

LMAO!! I love that this is actually listed... darn right it's a workout, hahaha

ETA: While I do all of those things several times a day, I still feel like I spend an awful lot of time just "hanging out" & sitting on my butt! I know I'm not sedentary, but I'm not sure my day overall really qualifies as moderate activity right now. I am working on adding in more activity each day, however so maybe soon! I'll keep this in mind if I am meeting my calorie goals & still feeling hungry. Right now wen eating this many (HEALTHY) calories is going to be a challenge!!
  • serindipte
    Options
    Right now wen eating this many (HEALTHY) calories is going to be a challenge!!

That depends on what you consider healthy calories. If you include a nutritious variety of protein, fats and carbs, it's not difficult at all to get to your goal calories. If you find yourself low near the end of the day, add a cup of ice cream, some peanut butter, a slice of cake. None of them are "unhealthy" in moderation. (Unless, of course, you are lactose intolerant, allergic to peanut butter, or diabetic)
  • ChrysalisCove
    Options
    Right now wen eating this many (HEALTHY) calories is going to be a challenge!!

That depends on what you consider healthy calories. If you include a nutritious variety of protein, fats and carbs, it's not difficult at all to get to your goal calories. If you find yourself low near the end of the day, add a cup of ice cream, some peanut butter, a slice of cake. None of them are "unhealthy" in moderation. (Unless, of course, you are lactose intolerant, allergic to peanut butter, or diabetic)

Granted, no food is evil. Perhaps I am overcompensating a bit for past habits. I'm concerned about eating sweets regularly because 1) I know that I struggle w/ moderation & 2) I know that I previously didn't get nearly enough nutrients / vitamins etc from my diet. I'm also discovering many very nutritious foods for the first time & am excited about them! I made a sorbet from nothing but puréed fruits that is DELICIOUS & only 88cal/c!
  • serindipte
    Options
    I make "ice cream" with frozen banana, frozen pineapple, and almond milk! It's so delicious that I have real ice cream in my freezer that I can have but it's still sitting there in favor of the fruit. Just don't demonize any food so much that start craving that one thing you can't have. :) If you crave it, maybe delay yourself a bit, see if you're still craving it tomorrow or even two days from now but then have it if you really want it. Work it into your calories and enjoy.