Tracking on a Cruise

Options
All,

I'm going on a cruise in October but want to keep up with my consistent tracking. The way I see it, I either will have to pay roaming charges on my phone to use my app or pay the cruise line's internet cafe. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Replies

• FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am planning on a trip myself out of the country. I am going to log everything I eat into a journal, then log it in when I get home. Probably not the most accurate way to do it, but will likely be the cheapest.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I would:

A) Use pencil and paper, or.....

who am I kidding, I wouldn't track on a cruise.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'd take a dieting break.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in December. Not worth the price to keep tracking. Plus its VACATION. No need to track, just get back on it when you return home.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I take it you're also taking weighing scales for your food then?
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your trip. take the stairs instead of the elevator. use the gym for an hour per day(in between buffet times) IMO Don't bother logging just get back into your routine after you return.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I took a break when we cruised in December. Enjoy your vacation.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Just do Quick Add - 5,000 Calories every day. That should about cover it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that?? Eyeball portions, eat sensible, get some exercise and enjoy - it's a cruise....
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked on a cruise either.

#1 you're not going to find the item in the database

#2 - youre on vacation - enjoy it!

Don't go nuts at the buffet unless it's on fresh fruit and veggies. I find the portions in the dining room to be just about perfect - even with dessert I never leave hungry. Watch the sugary drinks (like the daily specials) and you should be OK.

Above all - have fun!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'd take a dieting break.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    oh I can help you with that...but you'd have to take me with you first :laugh:

I'd probably contact the cruise line and see what meals are available in general, and try to pick healthier choices with some splurges. From what I can remember of the cruises I have been on, usually the buffets have the best selection of choices so you can pick rather than sit down meals where you really have no idea how the food is prepared.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just have fun and enjoy yourself. You can track again when you get back.
  • heidichild
    Options
    When I went I didn't want to break my streak, so I paid for the lowest wireless package they had. I logged in and put one item in just to make sure it recorded that I logged in and then forgot about the rest of the food I ate. Have fun!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Don't go nuts at the buffet

I disagree with this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    All,

I'm going on a cruise in October but want to keep up with my consistent tracking. The way I see it, I either will have to pay roaming charges on my phone to use my app or pay the cruise line's internet cafe. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't bother. Also, we're talking about October...that's seven months down the road...you're going to be in a completely different place in seven months. Not only that, but hopefully by then you will have learned a lot about portion control and moderation and will be able to just practice those things and enjoy yourself.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Didn't log on my cruise. Only downside was a lost all my days for the streak. But certainly wasn't going to pay for internet and since it's only a wild guess as to calories anyway I don't see the point (just my opinion), plus it is a cruise - I want to eat yummy food!! The million miles we walked every day helped to balance the calories.
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Myself, my wife and my daughter are going to the Maldives in August...........I full intend not to log a damn thing. I do intend to take full advantage of the fantastic seafood and fish curries and I will be doing a lot of snorkelling. I reckon the exercise will outweigh the naughty bits, and besides, Its a holiday!!!
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation.

If you are really worried about it, stick to grilled chicken and veggies, and for breakfast eat fruit and eggs. And get lots of exercise.

But I really think there is no use in worry about it. There is going to be so much good food and drinks and fun activities. Just eat what you would like while keeping your portions low and have lots of fun in the sun (lots of exercise) and enjoy.

No need to stress yourself out!
  • sysdeath71
    sysdeath71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I owned a travel agency that specialized in cruising. My suggestion... don't log it. Just eat sensibly. My wife lost 4 lbs the week we were on our cruise at Thanksgiving last year.

If you have to log it... do it in port! You can find wifi in many locations. Ask the crew members where they go for free wifi. The crew visits the ports weekly, and know the in and outs of each location.