Logging foods before you eat them

Options

Replies

• JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    You're not the only one. It's the best way for me to stay on track.
  • robeff
    robeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I often prelog, but not always exercise. Sometimes I'll be more motivated and do better. Generally my major meals I've got prepped in advance so breakfast/lunch/dinner are often prelogged, but snacks vary. Sometimes I'm just not as hungry, or I've burned more calories and have a couple extra snacks.

I think I actually prelogged more often earlier when I was much stricter, now I'm closer to maintenance mode and exercising a whole lot so I'm a little more relaxed.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    before i eat it, yes, but not way ahead of time or even for the day. like the other day, i had enough calories left to either have: a double hamburger, ice cream, a beer, or second helping of french fries. i sat here and played with the log till i decided. (ended up with a single burger with no cheese and a wine cooler)

but always before i eat it. i can take it out of the log if i change my mind or eat less or more, but not out of my stomach. :)
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    I do it, just for the day though. Mostly because I don't want to forget to do it and I know what I'm eating for the day so why not......

Water I log as I drink it though.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I always log it before I eat it. Always.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    guilty as charged! I usually think in the evening about what I want to eat tomorrow. And than I know how much room there will be for sweets :-D
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I love pre-logging my food! It makes me feel so much more relaxed about my intake because I know what I'll have already, and I'm not always concerned about what my next meal will be. It really helps me.

I don't usually pre-log exercise.

See, for some reason in my mind, when I pre-log my food it feels like I've eaten it. Therefore, when it comes time to actually eat the food, it's like hey wow, food!! And it feels like a bonus or something. Lol.
    Unfortunately it works both ways - when I pre-log exercise it feels like I've done that exercise already and so when I go to actually DO it, it kinda feels like a drag because I've logged it already and I don't even get true satisfaction of logging it in after I'm done. It almost feels like I'm doing it twice.
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I will from time to time, log a meal before I eat to see how good/bad it is, It helps me decide if it is something I really want to eat. or if i know i am having a set item on a given day, I will put it in so i dont eat to much before that and have to change my plan. ie if I am going out to dinner with friends.. Helps me alot....If i pre put in exercise it is to motivate me to do atleast that amount. usually with in a very few minutes of entering exercise my MFP friends are comenting on it so I really cant change it after you get a bunch of likes or good job coments.. Good luck
  • jjoh553028
    jjoh553028 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i always pre log breakfast and lunch. Then I add all the snacks that i have, but then adjust when I get home. I kind of like choosing my dinner as I go. I buy everything on the week end for the week, then I know what I have available to choose from.
  • BreAnn267
    BreAnn267 Posts: 46
    Options
    I log all meals before hand, and add to them or reduce things if I need to. Exercise I will log only if I know for sure I will be doing it that day.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is my method too. I log early in the day or for the whole week if possible. As for the exercise I have edomondo installed and it tracks and updates automatically to myfitness pal account :D
  • ttx336
    ttx336 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't always; but quite often I do, I call it 'calorie budgeting'. And as someone else has said, I feel much less apprehensive when I eat because I'm not wondering if I am gonna put myself over the limit. And I agree with a previous poster, I will often juggle quantities and foods to allow for certain meals or snacks.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I add my exercise first, and any foods I know I will eat. Later in the day I add extras. It helps me with my planning.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do just as a rough draft. It usually changes as the day progresses because I crave something. But I still stay under my calorie goal for the day. Today I want a marshmallow chocolate cookie, half a caramello bar, and a graham cracker fudge cookie after my chicken nuggets and French fries, lol. Or wait ICE CREAM!!!! I am on my girl thing. Thus the chocolate and ice cream. :)
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Always, it stops me from eating stuff I know I shouldn't if I haven't got the spare calories for :)
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    Yep, sometimes I even log breakfast and lunch for the next day the night before!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I prelog my foods most days. It allows me flexability with snacks and such. It also helps me hit my macros.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I plan out the day's eating with some wiggle room if I want to adjust later. Works for me and I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have done it for the past 6 months. And .. it keeps me organized and on course.

Sometimes things happen and I have to change things .. but try to stick to the plan. Makes sticking to a calorie limit much easier as you just stop eating when the calories are done as per what you have logged. Simple.

Some days I have an issue getting enough calories in .. and have to find something to eat to make my limit. But that is the nice thing about pre logging .. you have wiggle room to make changes and are never surprised at the end of the day what you actually ate.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I log my foods ahead also. Then I know how my day adds up and maybe if there is room there'll be a special snack.