Unsolicited Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just tell people I have a food allergy, works every time! Especially at Costco on Sundays when the food stands are throwing it at you.
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great analogy.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    If this nice gentleman :noway: thinks you have bigger problems than weight, well it's obvious Mr Nice :laugh: has some mental health issues he needs to address.

Haha, I like how you think! Hopefully next time I will be able to stop myself from saying why. It just came out. But after that, I will hopefully think before I speak. I don't think I could get away with the food allergy excuse. I will have chocolate once in a while, when there is not an entire bowl of it in front of me!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just punch him in the nose and walk away.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? I have repeatedly asked one of our vendors not to bring c*** into the office. Last week she brought two large Baggies full of candy and two boxes of banana walnut chocolate chip cookies!! When I called her on it, she said, "Well, one of the bags is full of sugar free candy." Believe me when I tell you, sugar free or sugar-ful it will send me into an epic binge. I'm getting ready to call her supervisor and complain. What my assistant didn't take home got thrown in the trash.

I am no stranger to confrontation, so I guess I'd get back into HIS face and remind him that what I eat or don't eat doesn't effect him AT ALL!

Having said that, I'll say this: I don't give reasons as to why I say no to food. If someone has the poor manners to ask me, I usually pretend that I don't hear them, if that doesn't work (some people are horribly persistent) I either look at them like they just loudly f****d in a public place OR I just tell them I'm not hungry. It's taken some practice, believe me. Especially the look.

You sound pleasant..
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I agree with the people who advise just declining without providing a reason - you don't owe anybody an explanation.

On top of that though, if someone DOES push the issue, I find that laughing and acting puzzled and asking "why does it matter to you so much if I eat a hershey kiss?" will quickly switch to putting the other person on the defensive instead of you. As it should be, they are the weirdo nosy ones who care what other people are eating or not eating.
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just say "no thanks". If someone tries to talk you into doing something you just said "no" to .. you should quickly move away.. The worst thing you can do is to try "explain" your reasons to them because it makes you appear weak. You do not need justify anything. Just repeat "no thanks", turn and walk away. He is trying to bully you .. and you don't have to allow that.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? I have repeatedly asked one of our vendors not to bring c*** into the office. Last week she brought two large Baggies full of candy and two boxes of banana walnut chocolate chip cookies!! When I called her on it, she said, "Well, one of the bags is full of sugar free candy." Believe me when I tell you, sugar free or sugar-ful it will send me into an epic binge. I'm getting ready to call her supervisor and complain. What my assistant didn't take home got thrown in the trash.

I am no stranger to confrontation, so I guess I'd get back into HIS face and remind him that what I eat or don't eat doesn't effect him AT ALL!

Having said that, I'll say this: I don't give reasons as to why I say no to food. If someone has the poor manners to ask me, I usually pretend that I don't hear them, if that doesn't work (some people are horribly persistent) I either look at them like they just loudly f****d in a public place OR I just tell them I'm not hungry. It's taken some practice, believe me. Especially the look.

You sound pleasant..

LOL. I thought the same thing. Wow.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    even saying your allergic doesn't cut it with many people. and I actually Am allergic to a ton of stuff. People get offended at the damnedest things.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    just laugh.

he acts like that, he's probably lacking in... certain... ways... *cough*
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    people have opinions... you gave him something to be opinionated about....

dont tell people your business if you dont want their opinion
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Guys, try not to be so hard on the guy. His dad was Willy Wonka.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If anyone pushes me to do something I am not comfortable with or don't feel like doing, I just say "no thanks" at first. If they keep pushing. I just tell them to back off. If they keep pushing again, then I'll put them on my **** list and just cold shoulder them for the rest of my life.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    People are irritating when they are pushy like that. I'd probably have told him that I'm not looking for diet tips, but thanks. It is better to not ever bring up diet to strangers/coworkers so they can't give their opinion on it, though :D It really is a subject people get weird and opinionated about!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I would have given him an explanation of personal boundaries and the concept of no means no. It doesn't matter *why* you didn't want the chocolate. You said no. The end.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is why I kept my weight loss private. People say really dumb things, patronizing things, push their agendas on you, or act like you're a freak for one reason or another. Plus, people sometimes find constant chatter about diet and calories just plain annoying.

I just say "no thanks" and leave it at that. If I don't want to eat something, I don't want to eat it, and it's none of their business.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options

You sound pleasant..

LOL. I thought the same thing. Wow.

Ditto! The attitude of some here amazes me.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options

t126mFg.gif

Bon Qui Qui gurrrrrl will CUT them!
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options

You sound pleasant..

:bigsmile: