Long Workouts

Options

Replies

• scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It was 7 pounds in almost 11 days. I had plateaued for several weeks and this was my first loss since.

My heart rate is high, I know. But it is consistently that high. I have been working out with that level heart rate for months. I am not sure what I should do about it. I have done my research and some people just have a higher hr during exercises. I have considered seeing a doctor about it but I am not sure.

Some people have a high HR during exercise because they push themselves so intensely right up next to anaerobic HR zone, totally training their carb burning system.

And the body is trained to go straight up there too.
    That type of intense workout is a huge stress on the body.
    Perhaps you consistently have a falsely-elevated HR because of being dehydrated, or body being under so much stress (that sounds very likely), so the workout wasn't really as intense as the HR might otherwise indicate.

You slow down, that's what you do about it. Perhaps you are of the thought the harder you go, the better.
    Incorrect, except for smart training programs.

The other question I and at least one other asked - are you eating back those exercise calories - or creating a ridiculous deficit?
    Which would also be the cause for sickness very easily.

7 lbs lost in 11 days. Did you do the math given if you think this is all fat?

7 x 3500 = 24500 / 11 = 2227

So you think you caused each and every of those 11 days a deficit of 2227 calories between what you ate, and what you burned in total?
    And mind you, your daily life outside exercise may have burned 2000.
    If you indeed ate 1500 and that is it in total, that's 500 of the deficit there.

So that leaves creating extra deficit by exercise of 1727 calories each and every day of those 11 days - if you think that was all fat weight.

Did you do that?

Now I can do that during summer training easy enough with long bike rides and runs and swims, but I am sure going to benefit from all that exercise by eating correctly for that level of training. Otherwise just a big waste of time and energy, with negative effects.

I understand that not all the weight loss was fat. I need to change my diet because I know I am not getting enough protein and it has been affecting me. My heart tends to race while I'm just sitting on and off the past couple days and it's pretty unsettling. I've never had that happen before. I'm not really sure why or what's going on

It might be time to tell a physician about your heart racing while at rest. Have you had a thyroid workup? Too much or too little hormone could cause heart palpitations. (It happened to me, (Hashimoto's)and it is indeed terrifying. Mine would skip, then race, then flutter, then pound--all while sitting on the couch.) Don't mess around with stuff like that. It could be an easy fix, but serious if ignored.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are some people at my gym who might <claim> to be there for 3 hours also, but if you took away the time they spent chatting, drifting, looking at themselves or staring at their phones, they are actually doing about 15 minutes of exercise...!

You're not one of..."them"...are you?
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Based on subsequent comments it seems almost certain that you are over-training and putting extreme stress on your heart in the process. I suggest getting a moderate exercise routine given to you by a PT, but only after you've seen a doctor about the tachycardia. Unless you're a professional athlete there is no need to be so spending three hours at the gym. You can spend 45-60 minutes there and achieve amazing things in that time. Train smarter not longer.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You're young, so your body can PROBABLY handle the extreme stress you are putting on it for the time being...although there really is no reason to do it. Sooner or later, probably very soon, you're going to burn out. Slow down, there is no real benefit of pushing yourself as hard as you are and you'll probably see better results with a bit more recover time and shorter (but still intense) workouts.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I work out 12 hours per week often, because I enjoy it. During the summer, it's even more, as one of my hikes alone can be 5-6 hours.

I don't have signs of overtraining and I take one full rest day and one active rest day per week (just moderate walking). Several of those hours are usually for flexibility and mobility, several are CrossFit/weight lifting, and I also walk and swim.

I feel great. To the posters who are saying you have no life balance, to them I ask: Do you watch television? Well, I don't. That gives me at least 2 more hours to work out each day than most who watch TV. I garden, camp, and fish but it's winter right now. I don't go to clubs because I have a very social job and exercise is my outlet away that. I don't have kids. I already volunteer and read. I'm not really sure what else I should be doing in my spare time except maybe taking up crafting. Snore. I'm physically active because it's what I like to do and how I get high on life, not for calorie burning.

If you feel good, keep it up. However, if you have a racing heart when you awake or you're tired or have nagging injuries, take a break. If you have low energy, step back. Listen to your body. Back off and see if your heart rate issue goes away!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Also, I would try to break up your rest days a little more if you are doing that much intensity four days in a row!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    If there is any voice to listen to and trust, it is definitely Haybales! I encourage you take really consider what he is saying. (I am not even one of his friends, but if I've learned anything around here, it's that he knows his stuff!)

QFT,
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think OP may be overtraining. Her heart rate seems to be extremely high, even though she's quite young. Also 7 lbs. in 11 days is a lot of weight, so she may be stressing her system. Of course, this is from someone who spent 2 hours in the gym last night, but 1 1/2 hours was yoga.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    OP, you still haven't anwerered the main question, which is:

Are you eating your exercise calories back?

If not, you should be. If you're not eating those calories, you're not doing your body any favors.

Heybales has given you alot of good information and maths. Slow it down (don't go balls to the wall), eat right.

As for the original question, The most I've 'worked out' is about 2 1/2 hours, but that's from hiking. Some days I do have high days, like doing treadmill walking + Zumba, BUT my exercise is accounted for in my calories. If you continue to overtrain your body, not only are you going to make yourself sick again, you're leaving yourself open to injury.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It seems like too much, I would go for 60-90 min
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    One thing to look at is the efficiency of your workouts. Is there a lot of rest time between exercises waiting to get on machines? A lot of the weight lifting programs that I've seen tend to have 6-8 exercises that are done as sets of 2-4 with 8-12 reps each with 30 seconds to 2 minutes rest in between sets depending on if it's compound moves or not. At the max that is 288 reps! That is a good workout.

This. The only time I am at the gym for more than 45 minutes (and I LOOOVE the gym!) is on a weekend if I lift and do cardio. Otherwise, is not more than 45-60 minutes.

OP - you mentioned your increased heart rate, let me also ask if you are sleeping well? Are you moody? These are also signs of overtraining.
  • lj5109
    lj5109 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are some people at my gym who might <claim> to be there for 3 hours also, but if you took away the time they spent chatting, drifting, looking at themselves or staring at their phones, they are actually doing about 15 minutes of exercise...!

You're not one of..."them"...are you?

No I'm not, I go alone and I check my phone out when I am taking a quick break.
  • lj5109
    lj5109 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

If not, you should be. If you're not eating those calories, you're not doing your body any favors.

Heybales has given you alot of good information and maths. Slow it down (don't go balls to the wall), eat right.

As for the original question, The most I've 'worked out' is about 2 1/2 hours, but that's from hiking. Some days I do have high days, like doing treadmill walking + Zumba, BUT my exercise is accounted for in my calories. If you continue to overtrain your body, not only are you going to make yourself sick again, you're leaving yourself open to injury.

No, I usually do not eat my calories back.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Then you may be experiencing some of these symptoms because you're putting your body into starvation mode and under acute stress. For instance, your heart rate exceeds the 80% target rate for someone exercising at your age. Also, losing 7 lbs. in 11 days would also stress your body. Perhaps you should stick to an hour to an hour and a half workout at 80% heart rate and eat back your exercise calories, or at least eat back enough so your net is 1000-1200.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

if you are working out that much- you should be eating back at least a percentage.
    Then you may be experiencing some of these symptoms because you're putting your body into starvation mode and under acute stress.

starvation mode is not a thing.

OP- I often am at the gym for several hours- but I lift- and have longer breaks- and do no cardio- a heavy stretching/mobility sessions and then I go do dance training. Can be upwards of 2 hrs- rarely 3.

It's doable- but you have to moderate yourself.

First of all you are doing high intensity wrong if you do 30-45 minutes of it. High intensity is sprints- or intervals and if you are doing them for 30 minutes- you aren't doing high intensity.

Secondly- Unless you are training for an event- doing 2 sessions of long cardio multiple times through the week is over kill- unless you REALLY love it. But it's over kill for training.

Relax- slow down a little- lift heavier- and do less cardio. And if you drink caffeine sounds like you should back off that as well- and also- you know- go see a physician about some of this.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It was 7 pounds in almost 11 days. I had plateaued for several weeks and this was my first loss since.

My heart rate is high, I know. But it is consistently that high. I have been working out with that level heart rate for months. I am not sure what I should do about it. I have done my research and some people just have a higher hr during exercises. I have considered seeing a doctor about it but I am not sure.

Some people have a high HR during exercise because they push themselves so intensely right up next to anaerobic HR zone, totally training their carb burning system.

And the body is trained to go straight up there too.
    That type of intense workout is a huge stress on the body.
    Perhaps you consistently have a falsely-elevated HR because of being dehydrated, or body being under so much stress (that sounds very likely), so the workout wasn't really as intense as the HR might otherwise indicate.

You slow down, that's what you do about it. Perhaps you are of the thought the harder you go, the better.
    Incorrect, except for smart training programs.

The other question I and at least one other asked - are you eating back those exercise calories - or creating a ridiculous deficit?
    Which would also be the cause for sickness very easily.

7 lbs lost in 11 days. Did you do the math given if you think this is all fat?

7 x 3500 = 24500 / 11 = 2227

So you think you caused each and every of those 11 days a deficit of 2227 calories between what you ate, and what you burned in total?
    And mind you, your daily life outside exercise may have burned 2000.
    If you indeed ate 1500 and that is it in total, that's 500 of the deficit there.

So that leaves creating extra deficit by exercise of 1727 calories each and every day of those 11 days - if you think that was all fat weight.

Did you do that?

Now I can do that during summer training easy enough with long bike rides and runs and swims, but I am sure going to benefit from all that exercise by eating correctly for that level of training. Otherwise just a big waste of time and energy, with negative effects.

I understand that not all the weight loss was fat. I need to change my diet because I know I am not getting enough protein and it has been affecting me. My heart tends to race while I'm just sitting on and off the past couple days and it's pretty unsettling. I've never had that happen before. I'm not really sure why or what's going on

You need to see your doctor about this before you continue high intensity exercise. It might just be stress related, but it could be physical.

Honestly, there is absolutely no need to be lifting for 2 hours. 1/2 hour cardio sessions and shorter lifting workouts that focus on compound exercises will give you the most "bang for your buck" and you can be in and out of the gym much more quickly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

So in merely trying to answer your question as to longer workouts being negative, all the questions from folks and all the answers pulled out of you (which tells me you knew what was good and bad idea or you would have innocently answered faster) you've gotten a lot of similar good advice.

It goes beyond your original question, but it should also point out that you are doing a whole lot to your body that you have no clue about.

Would you start taking out and moving wires and hoses in your car's engine compartment without having a clue as to what's going on in there?

Don't start screwing around with your body when you don't know much about it either. And hopefully these responses have helped you to see you don't.

I know teenager and all - you know it all and really only needed answer to your original question, you got the rest covered just fine.

But ask many of the 50-60 yr old women on MFP that have spent a lifetime yo-yo dieting their lives away always doing it wrong, having a terrible relationship with food and their bodies, repeating the same mistakes over and over, until finally realizing there has to be a more reasonable realistic sustainable way of doing it.

But answer just one question with the way you are going about this so far.

If bigger deficit was better to lose weight faster - why don't you just stop eating and lose the weight even faster, with or without exercise?

Do you have a enough knowledge of the body to answer that question. Yes, I'm trying to help you get your mind in a new place, one of listening to advice, at least enough to go check out more info, one of discerning what point a question is getting to, ect.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is exercising for long periods of time a negative thing? I workout for 3 hours, sometimes up to 4 days a week.
    Lately I've been feeling symptoms of overreaching and I did slow down last week.

Based on the discussion you're significantly overtraining, and your plan isn't condusive to any realistic outcome.

Your volume of CV seems a bit high as there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. You should be able to see benefit from 30-40 minutes, three to four times per week. I'd suggest constraining your durations unless you have some good reason for longer sessions. You may also want to vary the intensities; long duration session, shorter higher intensity session and short interval session. You get different benefts from each.

Avoid significant volumes of CV on our resistance traiin days. By mixing both you dilute the effect of each. I'd suggest a short warm up, then do your resistance session.

To put things in perspective, I do five CV sessions per week reaching a distance of 35-40 km, and two bodyweight resistance sessions with the main objective being injury prevention in the running and optimising my form.

I trust that's useful to you
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Then you should start. Your body is telling you you're doing too much and not giving it enough. Listen to it.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options

My other question is whether a brisk walk in cold weather burns more calories than walking in temperate weather. MFP says I'm only burning between 60 and 90 calories, which doesn't seem worth it when my fingers are blue under two pairs of gloves.

60-90 calories for a 30 minute walk...could be perfectly accurate depending on your size and pace. For a moderate 3.0 mph walk I burn about 90 cals per 30 minutes and I'm 130lbs. It's not a lot but it's also not very strenuous. And NO the cold does not affect the number of calories you burn...while the temperature makes it less pleasant, it does not make for a higher burn. If your fingers are actually turning blue while you're walking for a shortish amount of time, while wearing 2 pair of gloves, I would wait until it warms up. I can be outside walking for about an hour in below zero (fahrenheit) temps without the happening, but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't.