Are there any fellow Celiacs out there?

Options
Hey!
Hope everyone is having a great week so far. I've been here approximately a month- and have really been enjoying the site and the motivation. However, I was just curious...... I am affected by Celiac -and was wondering if there are any fellow celiacs out there?-

If so, it would be great if you would introduce yourself- this way we could exchange food ideas etc..........And I am always looking forward to making new friends..... or anyone else who may be interested!

Really looking forward to hearing from you! ;-)
-Dani

Replies

• kriegs86
    Options
    Although I'm not a celiac, my husband, father-in-law and sister-in-law are so I try to always use gf recipes. I'd love to hear about how you cook and bake.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat intolerance. I was tested for Celiac but the test came back negative although I'm convinced it was a false negative.

I also have Colitis which makes the whole digesting food thing even worse! I've been having one heck of a horrible week so far and it's only Tuesday :(

My house isn't Celiac/Colitis friendly and that's my own fault but I HAVE to change that - I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. This condition takes a lot out of you - no pun intended :)

My doc has recommended a vegetarian diet but I worry because it tends to be high in fibre and that's not good when you have Colitis.
  • JenniferWarren
    Options
    I am gluten free since July 2009. Same thing - was tested for Celiac but came back negative, so I went on the g-free "diet" by myself and feel 100x better! I've just started on here so am just getting settled, but am definitely game for recipe sharing/motivation! I find it really hard to be motivated to lose weight on the gfree, partially because people think you SHOULD be losing weight, and partially because I want to say "I've already cut out gluten - what more do you want me to stop eating?!?!" Maybe that's just me. :)
  • bangbang320
    Options
    I'm Celiac! I've been gluten free since September 2004. But being in college kind of messed that up, I had little self control for a while. But I've stopped cheating with free beer and pizza (a mighty big challenge!).

It was a lot easier back home because my mom and brother are GF, too, and my dad is lactose free (I'm lactose intolerant, too), so there was always something to eat, and my parents could afford fancy GF alternatives. But luckily, regular stores like Publix and Winn Dixie (at least in Florida) have a lot of gluten free items. They even had these rad crackers on BOGO this week, and only 120 calories a serving! So good. And the serving size was plenty enough to have with some tuna salad!

Good luck on your GF adventures!
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm not Celiac, but have been going 95% GFree since April. I have a few items that I have tried and loved over the past few months:

#1 - Pasta : Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta Spirals (and elbows) - wheat free, gluten free, not mushy, great al dente! This pasta tastes JUST like regular pasta and doesn't mush up. Plus, it's brown rice, which is good for you. I picked some up at Safeway, but it's probably sold at your local health food store or Whole Foods.

#2- Glutino ! Anything Glutino is good. I've tried everything from pizza to pretzels and everything tastes delicious. You won't miss the gluten.

#3 - Blue Diamond Natural Nut-Thins : Almond, Pecan, even cheddar almond! These thin crackers are SO good, you'll want to buy 2 boxes at once.

#4 - Amy's Organic frozen dinners - Try the Green Chile Tamale for lunch. It's really good. The only thing I don't like about Amy's is it's super expensive (up to $8 per gluten-free entree) and high in sodium!

I hope this helps!
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    Hello,
    I have Celiac Disease and am on day 6 of eating Gluten Free!