Fear of Fat

Options
Fat genes run in my family. Sometimes, I think about the fact that some day I won't be a 20 year old who can workout every day. Pregnancy will make me gain weight, and with my genetics, it's not going to come off quickly.
I'm honestly afraid I'll end up extremely overweight someday like my mom was for most of her life. That is terrifying. I think I'm fat now? Imagine me after a couple of kids!!
Somebody please tell me I'm not doing all this in vain when I'm doomed to end up obese anyway.

Replies

• DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into it, willpower is everything! I've known people who's family's are overweight, and they were as well, but they made a lifestyle change and it came off. Its all about you, genetics, yes, can play a part, but anyone can get fit, its all about how you look at life, kids or no kids. :flowerforyou:
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't personally believe in a fat gene (or genes). I believe we are just becoming less active and food is more available with sugar and fat together where it tastes super good to our pleasure seeking brains. You can learn to eat to live. Don't fret.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Don't scare yourself over nothing. No one is really doomed to be obese. Sure, there are a few conditions like hypothyroidism that make it harder to lose weight, but remember about the laws of thermodynamics. Mass can't be created out of nothing. The body needs energy to create fat and muscle, and the only thing that provides that is food. You have the ultimate control over how much you weigh.Keep on with the weight loss, and try and remind yourself now and again of what you don't want to be. I know it's hard sometimes, but I motivate myself to lose weight by reminding myself of how I used to be and how gross it was. My bar says 0 right now, but I started about three months ago and lost 25 pounds before joining MFP. Just keep in mind the person that you want to be, and you'll make it.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Almost everybody has the potential to be skinny. You need to look at the (eating) habits of people that are skinny and make them your own. What it all comes down to is finding your maintenance calories or eating slightly below if you're already overweight.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Fat genes run in my family. Sometimes, I think about the fact that some day I won't be a 20 year old who can workout every day. Pregnancy will make me gain weight, and with my genetics, it's not going to come off quickly.
    I'm honestly afraid I'll end up extremely overweight someday like my mom was for most of her life. That is terrifying. I think I'm fat now? Imagine me after a couple of kids!!
    Somebody please tell me I'm not doing all this in vain when I'm doomed to end up obese anyway.

I don't believe there is a fat gene. Babies are not born fat, they become fat because their parents over feed them, they then grow into fat children and their parents still over feed them. My family are fat except my sister who is slim.
    No you won't be 20 forever but that does not mean you cant workout. Every morning I see a man power walking down the street as I drive to work, he must be about 70. You don't stop doing stuff because you are old, you get old because you stop doing stuff.
    Not everyone stays fat after having children, I know plenty of people who are slim and have kids (like my sister).

All of this is in your head, stop worrying.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do not blame genes, blame bad eating habits. If your relatives are overweight, chances are they do not make the best eating choices, and this is what you have learned so far too. The good news are that if you change your diet to be relatively balanced and healthy, this is something that you can keep as a lifestyle forever :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Fat genes run in my family...

More likely, fat behaviors run in your family. I have overweight relatives, too, but their body composition and health habits have no bearing on me and my lifestyle choices. Take control of your own destiny. You may or may not have to work harder at it than some other people, but you are no less capable or deserving of your goals. If you make health and fitness a priority, you are not doomed, trust me. It really is up to YOU. :flowerforyou:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I remember reading about this like 10 years ago or something. Let this be your role model even if not to the same extreme. You have more control of your health in the long run than you are giving yourself credit for. Work for it and you'll be fine. It really comes down to priorities (as long as there aren't other underlying health issues). If you decide you won't follow in your families footsteps and let that guide you in your food and exercise choices not only will you be healthier and not have the same weight problems but you might just help others in your family beat obesity too. :)

http://www.fitness.com/articles/408/fitness_celebs_jessica_alba.php
  • Khall1102
    Options
    I use to think the same way as you, I have a large family who are all 'large' people. I always thought me being big was just part of who i was, i didn't know any better.

Since having my children (3) I have become more active and I want to give my children the healthiest mum possible i have had to seriously look at my eating patterns and overall lifestyle.

I have now lost 58lbs in the last year and i am currently slimmer and healthier then i have been in 20 years.

If someone had said i could do this 3 years ago i would have laughed, i was fat and thats all i had ever been i didn't see a way out. Now i can see a healthier, slimmer future. Its all in our power to achieve, we just need to take that first step into a new healthier lifestyle.

Good luck with your new healthier life :happy:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    There is so much we do not know about our nutritional requirements and the not so good things some foods can do to us.

When I was about the same age as you, I saw my mother and maternal grandmother both rather rounded women. There is one thing my mother and I have in common and that is Salicylate Sensitivity she reacts in a straightforward way to aspirin, the tummy upsets and things, me, my problem has been that too but also the unrecognised salicylate in our general diet. Recognised as a toxin by many medics it is not seen as the base cause for many seemingly unrelated health problems in one person let alone the general population. Its effects are boundless.

Over the last 40 years there has been an increase in obesity, breathing related problems, general system issues, chemical sensitivity, because there is so much we take for granted and never question. We all, may be to much of a generalisation, but we are encouraged to consume herbs, spices, fruits and veg, much of it concentrated into juices, all taken at much higher levels than most of our ancestors were able. Today we make use of enhanced smells in our homes, the cleaning products, personal perfumes many of which are overloaded with salicylate, so much more that we contact every day has ever been tested, yet we go on assuming we can keep on taking it all. We all have our own level of sensitivity this is a very personal thing as is weight and health.

Since I gave up aspirin and many other high salicylate foods I have lost stones and bloat. I still need to work on this but I have got my life more in my control, I can breath, I no longer have joint pain, nor chronic fatigue, my kidneys etc function better, my moods are more constant. Recently I discovered salicylate conflicts with the thyroid and can cause it to function less well. Had I known 40 years ago what health issues I could have protected myself from would I have done it? I would hope so. Often I see the advice to reduce salicylate consumption to next to nothing and add it back. Logically I now think for many, one less curry, one less tinned tomato/ purée based dish, even less vanilla in mass produced foods every week could make a massive difference to everyone's health. It pays to read all you can about food and its effects, consider what is said and after consideration adopt or dismiss as you see fit.

I hope you manage to find the right way for you to be the happy healthy person you aspire to be.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is simply calories in versus calories out. This is the law of thermodynamics. Consume more energy than your body expends for any prolonged period of time and you have weight gain. And vice versa.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Keep working out and eating healthily and you'll be ok. Both my parents are overweight and so were me, my brother and sister. My brother and I managed to lose weight with a lot of hard work and keep it off. It does mean having to work out consistently, and eat well, but neither of us starve ourselves. We do gain weight easily, and I'm now 33 weeks pregnant with my third. I did put on a lot of weight in my 2nd pregnancy, but I didn't exercise.

Yes, I'm never going to be one of those people who can eat what they like and never work out, but I've accepted what I need to do to stay fit and slim and healthy. My sister isn't too bothered about her weight, so she is still overweight. I expect I'll have to lose a few lbs after this baby despite working out throughout pregnancy, but I've done it before, and I know that this time won't be as bad as last time.