Where does the weight go?

Options
Hi
I am curious what happens during the sleep cycle concerning weight, I am not very regular passing stool, so just as a example I weighted 101.6 kg yesterday after eating about 600 grams of food throughout the day(400 at the evening meal), this morning I weigh my self and I am 101.1 kg, thankfully this has been going on for the last few days(loosing), yes I have passed some stool, but nothing to brag about. So the question-is even though I put some in I thankfully still weigh a little less the next day, where does the weight go?

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Your body burns it up as energy.

It is like when you are driving a car, you start with a fuel tank, but as you drive the amount of fuel in your car decreases, and eventually it is empty and you have to refill it. Where does it go? It gets burned up as energy.

EDIT: There are also changes due to loss of water (urine or sweat). Passing stool changes how much food is in your system, but real weight loss is what I described above, your body using fat stores as energy.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This will explain it well, it's long but worth a watch: http://youtu.be/NGKLpYtZ19Q
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    This will explain it well, it's long but worth a watch: http://youtu.be/NGKLpYtZ19Q

Oh, that is a really interesting video.

Summary: You breath it out as CO2 and excrete it as H2O

Still like a car, it has an exhaust. :P
  • orandaberg
    Options
    Thanks all!:bigsmile:
  • orandaberg
    Options
    I will add exercise last as think its confusing me with calorie intake as I have levelled off at 101.2 from 100.8. Following my plan of 1760 cal per day, I should have been 100 kg by now or I need to lower my cal intake or I have been building slight muscle form the swimming. any thoughts?
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    In short:
    It goes: 1) As energy (Energy = matter)
    and 2) Evaporation of water. (Body needs to maintain a stable temperature at all time, so water is always used for that)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It goes away with every breath you take.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    I will add exercise last as think its confusing me with calorie intake as I have levelled off at 101.2 from 100.8. Following my plan of 1760 cal per day, I should have been 100 kg by now or I need to lower my cal intake or I have been building slight muscle form the swimming. any thoughts?

More likely you are overestimating the burn from exercise. This is common.
  • orandaberg
    Options
    Thanks all
    I never add the calories burned to what I add to eating, I still stay under the intake of 1760, usually a few hundred calories lower, one can see my diary,maybe suggest what to take off. Incidently those shakes I drink are mixed altogether with the added portions one sees i the diary each meal. I can see I am getting leaner on the legs, inner thighs,hips, waist,chest and arms, but the weight just levels. Maybe my calorie intake is still too high? maybe instead of 0,5 kg per week I should use the 1 kg per week calorie count? Yes I do weigh my portion and measure liquids.
  • orandaberg
    Options

So that's where my weight came from, I have been sucking in everyone's fat! Thanks that was interesting
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Catalyst rules.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary - maybe 2 weeks worth. Here's what I noticed...

1. Water intake - it's very low. You eat a lot of processed foods, and the sodium in those will make you hold on to water weight. If you're going to eat processed foods, you need to either drink a lot of water (.5oz water for every pound of body weight is the recommended amount.) Water will also help flush your system and help with digestion.

2. You mention in food notes that you water your soup down, and that this makes the sodium lower. If you're eating 8oz of soup, and add 8 oz of water, the sodium content is still the same. You just get to eat more volume. : )

3. Your carb intake is pretty high. If you're not losing, maybe you can try to eat less carbs, and more fat and protein.

4. Your diet is not at all consistent. You eat very low calories some days (around 1200 calories - one day was less than 800) and some days you're eating 1800. I get concerned about low calorie diets because long term, they will lower your metabolism and make it hard for you to lose weight no matter what you're eating.

Also...as to exercise and building muscle - you cannot build muscle while eating at a deficit. If you're sore after a workout, you can "gain" weight because your muscles are retaining water to heal. This is normal and will go away in a few days after your muscles heal themselves.
  • orandaberg
    Options
    I looked at your diary - maybe 2 weeks worth. Here's what I noticed...

1. Water intake - it's very low. You eat a lot of processed foods, and the sodium in those will make you hold on to water weight. If you're going to eat processed foods, you need to either drink a lot of water (.5oz water for every pound of body weight is the recommended amount.) Water will also help flush your system and help with digestion.

2. You mention in food notes that you water your soup down, and that this makes the sodium lower. If you're eating 8oz of soup, and add 8 oz of water, the sodium content is still the same. You just get to eat more volume. : )

3. Your carb intake is pretty high. If you're not losing, maybe you can try to eat less carbs, and more fat and protein.

4. Your diet is not at all consistent. You eat very low calories some days (around 1200 calories - one day was less than 800) and some days you're eating 1800. I get concerned about low calorie diets because long term, they will lower your metabolism and make it hard for you to lose weight no matter what you're eating.

Also...as to exercise and building muscle - you cannot build muscle while eating at a deficit. If you're sore after a workout, you can "gain" weight because your muscles are retaining water to heal. This is normal and will go away in a few days after your muscles heal themselves.

Thanks so much
    1. I agree my water intake is low, I just am not thirsty, but today I bought a lt bottle and keep it with me and fill a cup at least every hr.
    2. Yes I did add water to the soup, to add volume, but the soups are not very often,
    3. I usually stay below the allowed carbo intake per day and have started to add more fat for the stools and this has been working,(its daily now)sometimes I am a bit over on the fat but not by that much.
    4. Yes it is not consistent but I try to keep it above 1200 just to keep metabolism working(or so I read) As far a muscle goes I have a active job working on a offshore platform in Norway, so I do use my arms and legs a lot, lifting, walking long stairs and standing out in the cold weather(insulated clothes). But I have noticed more tone in my legs and arms, I may not have built muscle with the water aerobics but I believe the fat surrounding some areas are burning away. I have reached my first goal of 100 kgs today so the weight is coming down( fingers crossed). The weight comes from years of 3 sq meals a day, all you can eat on the rig, and they have some good tasting foods:) But now that's over and with this diary I can keep track and continue to monitor intake
    My work schedule is 2 weeks offshore and 4 weeks home, when I am home I use the city pool, and now I will use the gym when offshore (provided the 12 hr shift was not to hard)
    But I will use your advice to balance out. You mentioned I eat a lot of processed food, apart from the shakes everything else is pretty much natural apart from that odd soup?
  • orandaberg
    Options
    I added my food intake and it averages at least 1 kg a day, or 2.2 lbs (thats just the weight of the 2 shakes I custom make (see food plan) What is the average weight in food for you others out there?