Is lunch meat okay to eat?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lunch meat on a sandwich is ok for lunch, just as a bowl of cereal is ok for breakfast.

eta: and should not be considered a cheat meal.

Lolz. Yep. As long as the whole sandwich doesn't go over 250 calories, she's fine.
    *Looks down at 500 calorie sandwich*

Balls.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the carbs in the bread.

Lol

evil carbs!
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lunch meat on a sandwich is ok for lunch, just as a bowl of cereal is ok for breakfast.

eta: and should not be considered a cheat meal.

Lolz. Yep. As long as the whole sandwich doesn't go over 250 calories, she's fine.
    *Looks down at 500 calorie sandwich*

Balls.

You're screwed. Better call the whole day a wash.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    just watch the sodium, most lunch meat is pretty high in sodium
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thin & Trim is a little more expensive than others, but it's worth it to cut the sodium, if you are sensitive to it.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    No. I have alerted the FBI (Food Bureau of Investigation).

:laugh:
    Needed the laugh, thank you!
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of cooking chicken breast and slicing it!! I have one of those mandolins from pampered chef and this would work nicely without having to buy a deli slicer.

It would probably work well for ham too. Yumm
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    When in doubt, always consult the logic diagram

x10cox.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you really want a healthier alternative, I sometimes buy a ham joint, cook it in the slow cooker or pressure cooker and cut it up for sandwiches. Keeps a few days in the fridge. Cheaper and leaner, although it's still salty processed meat. Personally I don't worry about it, although if you are, you could do the same thing with uncured meat eg. chicken or turkey breast, beef or pork roast.

But there are no weight loss consequences to eating luncheon meat, if it fits your calories. Just salty meat consequences!

(Oh how I love salty meat!)

So confused as to how a ham joint is any healthier than lunch meat at the deli counter. Same thing.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Oh, boy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, in. This has all the makings of a fantastic train wreck.

Nothing wrong with lunch meat, nothing wrong with bread to put the lunch meat on.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from the deli counter at my grocery store, I'm probably imagining it but I feel like that makes it better lol.. No preservatives, that kind of thing..

I make roll-ups instead of using bread, that way my calorie count is lower.

I've heard a lot of people make tuna sandwiches because they're healthy and low cal.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Ok, in. This has all the makings of a fantastic train wreck.

Nothing wrong with lunch meat, nothing wrong with bread to put the lunch meat on.

Now we suggest adding cheese and mayo to that sandwich..... :bigsmile:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, always consult the logic diagram

x10cox.jpg

This FTW.

As a matter of fact, this should be posted in many forum threads.

Edited to change to "many"
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    When on a diet, obviously? I make a sandwich everyday for lunch because it's easy to carry around and I use lunch meat (turkey) it doesn't have a lot of calories only like 100 for 5 slices but I'm wondering if there's a healthier alternative that I could buy? Or something I could make and store because I don't have time to cook in the morning

purely depends on whether you care about nitrates and preservatives or not. If you don't think they're an issue then lunchmeats are fine. Personally I tend to avoid them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When on a diet, obviously? I make a sandwich everyday for lunch because it's easy to carry around and I use lunch meat (turkey) it doesn't have a lot of calories only like 100 for 5 slices but I'm wondering if there's a healthier alternative that I could buy? Or something I could make and store because I don't have time to cook in the morning

purely depends on whether you care about nitrates and preservatives or not. If you don't think they're an issue then lunchmeats are fine. Personally I tend to avoid them.

So no green leafy veggies for you?
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It depends who you ask. I try to avoid lunch meats as they usually have high sodium content and are very processed. That being said, I will eat a sandwich when I'm short of better options. Bread, lunch meat, and lunch cheeses are all highly processed though so daily sandwiches do not fit into my goals. Trying to eat fresh, whole foods most often is optimal. Lunch meats/ sandwiches are a better alternative for convenience food, but they are still convenience food.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Flat out NO!!! So processed and full of crap
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I look for low sodium lunch meats and no nitrates. I also use Healthy Life Whole Grain 40 cal bread.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Way to worry her! This is the same poster who worried about a 300 cal "cheat meal" she had eating cereal and almond milk! OOOooooo, the horror! Image the reaction to carbs.

OP - Lunchmeat is fine but a bit high in sodium. I'm not a fan though.