Today I feel as if it can't ever be done ...

Options
The title says it all.

My body hurts.

My spirit is weak.

I feel it's too late (37yrs old), especially because I've been fat for like 37yrs ... all of my life I've been grossly overweight.

Feels like a HUGE mountain to climb (lose 168 lbs).

Just want some support. Thanks

Replies

• Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well...in days like these, I don't know what amount of good advice, wishful thinking or support can actually help. I had days when I literally worked out swearing because I didn't felt like it, or finished the last miles crying because of pain. But had I not persisted, would I be here now? I'm at goal weight for about 3 months now and I feel over the moon. True, I didn't have to lose as much as you do, but don't that discourage you! It's a battle with yourself! Think like this: the first 37 years I wasn't at my best weight but I plan the next 37 to be the healthiest I can be!
    Take care! And you can add if You want to! :flowerforyou:
  • nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Dont give up. Have a look at all the before and after pics for motivation, those people did it and so can you. If your body is acheing have a day off excercise today. 37 years old is nothing you have a lot of years ahead of you yet. X
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Focus on logging everything you eat accurately & honestly. The rest will come in time.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    37! You're just a baby lol. Don't let age hold you back, you're not even middle aged yet. Don't think about how much you have to lose as it can seem really daunting and seem impossible. Break it into chunks and reward yourself once you have achieved a goal. Also, don't totally rely on the scales (she can be a ***** sometimes) measure yourself and even if those scales are being mean then sometimes the measuring tape is kinder. Remember why and who you are doing this for (you I hope). You don't have to kill yourself with starvation and loads of exercise, slow is best. Cut your cals but stick to the food that you like (even just cut portion sizes) and try walking more often, that's was the biggest part of my exercise and even though I have added in some different stuff now, I still walk a lot. Good luck and don't give up, you deserve this :flowerforyou:
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Look at the small goals, not the big ones. The big ones can be overwhelming. 4 lbs lost is wonderful! That is a great start. Now remember it is just one step at a time. I'm about to turn 35 so I'm not much younger than you and I know that feeling of 'what is the point' - no one can answer that for you but you but find each little thing (from a smaller pair of jeans to walking through a space you didn't think you could) and embrace it. I'm confident you can do this. Just focus on today. Good luck!
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    We all have days like that, just stick it out. (: If it makes you feel any better, I've ate like crap the past few days but I'm determined to get back to it today. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.
  • confusedtracey
    confusedtracey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    have a day off and start fresh tomorrow x that doesn't mean eat a hugh bar of chocolate though. lol xxx
  • onmyway57
    onmyway57 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am 57 and I am not going to let this get me down.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the total 168 lbs that can be overwhelming. Focus on 1 lb at a time, 10 lbs goals. Set nutrition and fitness goals for this month. Decide that you want to change and lose the attitude that you can't do it. A positive attitude and willingness to keep striving to do better than I was yesterday will help you reach your goals. Have patience, and honestly enjoy the ride.

You don't have to be miserable to lose weight, it's actually been a fun adventure to see how strong I truly am, what I can accomplish while eating some good food and losing a bit of weight.

Don't demonize any food, eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, find an activity you like rinse and repeat. Good luck to you
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    The title says it all.

My body hurts.

My spirit is weak.

I feel it's too late (37yrs old), especially because I've been fat for like 37yrs ... all of my life I've been grossly overweight.

Just want some support. Thanks

It feels like that even if you only want to lose 20 or 30 too.
    Just start at the beginning and consistently work at it. slowly.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    37 is young!! I'm 48 and I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Two years from now, you won't care whether you lost that weight at age 37 or age 22. Don't get overwhelmed by the amount of weight you have to lose -- focus on your short-term goals, and keep the vision of a fit, healthy you in your mind's eye.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Small goals. Small changes at first then do more and more as you adjust. Really, it doesn't take that much change to get the ball rolling. Please do not give up. I'm almost 33 years old and I've already lost 72 lbs and I have PCOS and had a bad thyroid. If I can do it, anybody can. I still have a ways to go as well but I think of it as small steps. Think about every 10 lbs. Don't think of the big number you have to lose. Put it in increments.

Please though - do not give up. You can do this.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Please dont stop...... I am needing to lose about the same as you. I need to lost 13 stone and am only 22 pounds into it.

but never stop.

stop focusing on the 168 to lose

and just focus on the next 7 days. plan for 2 pounds in 7 days...once you have done it and i know you will.

you renew you pledge for another 2 pounds in 7 days

And at 37 you are young enough to benifit from the weekly changes in your body.

:smile:
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, dont rush. I am 43 and lost 20lb in 7months. MFP does work, be true to yourself LOG EVERYTHING. It takes 21days to make a habbit then it gets better.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the total 168 lbs that can be overwhelming. Focus on 1 lb at a time, 10 lbs goals. Set nutrition and fitness goals for this month. Decide that you want to change and lose the attitude that you can't do it. A positive attitude and willingness to keep striving to do better than I was yesterday will help you reach your goals. Have patience, and honestly enjoy the ride.

You don't have to be miserable to lose weight, it's actually been a fun adventure to see how strong I truly am, what I can accomplish while eating some good food and losing a bit of weight.

Don't demonize any food, eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, find an activity you like rinse and repeat. Good luck to you

I totally agree with the above quote... set small goals and focus on that, pick some food you are going to stop eating or stop eating most of the time... I LOVE cake, so we came up with a plan, eat cake every month because there is a birthday every month in our family... (only my sister and I live near each other to celebrate) so NOW I do not do that, I have cake on my birthday or my sisters and we just figured out this restaurant gives a huge (enough or 4) piece of cake on your birthday... ah delish and no leftovers to nibble away at!

Maybe change your bread to a healthier choice... just do one step at a time! YOU can do this! 37 years is young, but unfortunately you had some not great food choice parents this happens. But you aren't a little kid anymore and you get to control this new journey I seriously believe you can and you will do this, trust me you do not want diabetes or heart issues .. so now get up and dust off it's time to make the new you shine!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello friend :)

I wanted to reiterate myself here, as well as expand on the idea.

Do not eat to lose weight. This ultimately sets you up for failure in that you're treating this as a means to an end and when that end comes, you can go back to doing whatever. This is a forever change. So, instead of eating to lose weight, eat to be healthy. Focus on getting real, whole foods in packed with vitamins and minerals. Ditch processed crap and empty calories. Everything you consume should be to serve a healthier purpose--whether it's to get in your Vitamin C because the whole office is sick, or focusing on Magnesium because your muscles feel a bit weak from your workout, or maybe it's even a little tiny bit of ice cream to salve your world-weary heart. Don't focus on a calorie goal; instead focus on a macronutrient goal. Cut down on carbs, especially processed carbs, increase your intake of healthy fats, work on getting in your lean and high quality proteins.

Once you stop eating to lose weight and start eating for optimum health, you'll start to feel better. You'll have made the lifelong change that is going to see you to your weight loss goals (as a side effect) and keep you in good health for the rest of your life.

I eat to feel good, to feel in great health and have energy and focus and be the best me I can be. These 85 lbs I have already lost have been incidental in that. The next 60 lbs will be, too :)

You've so totally got this!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It can be done.

It is. That only makes it more satisfying when you get to the top.
  • KristinKory
    KristinKory Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is normal to feel discouraged at times. I know I do, but I it is healthier for the weight to come off slowly and stay off.

We can do this! We are still young and got this in the bag! :smile:
  • jazziamtheboss
    Options
    I know some day you ask yourself why me but don't let that pity take away from you no more.When I met my husband after having 4 children already I weighted 120 lbs I felt great and looked great how many women can say they had 4 kids and only weigh 120 lbs.
    I was on top my the clouds I loved myself,I never ate around him but as are relationship got deeper and we moved in together I found myself being comfortable around him and started eatting what ever I wanted.
    When we got married 10 years later I was 165lbs and climbing I am so fat in are wedding pictures I looked miserable.I hate those pictures I use those pictures for when I workout and I feel like giving up so it will push me harder I don't want to be fat no more I say that to myself the whole time I am working out.
    You need to find something and focus on that and tell your self I can do this just a couple more you have to belive in you!
    Its not going to happen over night or in a week or in a month but if we work hard it will all come off one day!!!
    Hope you find your faith in your self and don't give up!!!!!
  • TABeau71
    TABeau71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These types of days are the days that are what make this journey difficult, yet so rewarding with each small achievement.
    The small accomplishments are so rewarding because these days are so difficult.
    Embrace today!!
    We all have them. You are not alone.

When I feel overwhelmed and hopeless, I try to do one small thing differently - one little, slightest change in my typical routine. I may take a short walk or take a new route while walking. I might call a friend or take 20 minutes to journal my feelings. This probably sounds silly but sometimes I will stand or "walk in place" instead of sit on my couch while watching a favorite crappy television show. It doesn't really matter what it is, just as long as it is something slightly different or new. I find that dong so helps shift my perspective - makes things feel not so insurmountable, and makes days like today feel like the accomplishment that they are.

It seems to me that you have already done something differently. By reaching out to the MFP community for support, it seems to me that your spirit is not as weak as it may feel. Congratulations!!