Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Scales dilemma

I have a small problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. When I restarted my healthier lifestyle, after 9 months of ignoring my diet, avoiding exercise and feeling very unfit, I stepped onto my Wii and found myself 17lbs heavier. I was appalled as I knew I may have gained a few pounds but did not feel it was THAT bad. Since then I have been eating well and exercising regularly (50 min walk up VERY steep hills almost every day; when I can't walk I do something to keep myself moving. To my dismay, whilst I felt hugely better, I did not register any weight change on the Wii. Today, after 1 month, I measured myself and I have lost 3" on hips, 1" on waist and 0.5" on bust. I look less blobby and firmer and my bottom looks tighter. I hold by the principle that it's more about how I feel and look and not really about lbs registered on scales but...it was a bit disheartening. Today I tried my other bathroom scales and find that I am 14lbs lighter than I registered on the Wii and closer to where I really felt I should have been when I started again at beginning of Feb. My hubby checked the scales as he has been recently weighed at the doctors and said they corresponded to the balance there. So - do I record my 'new' weight and accept a stupid jump or what? The Wii board is on carpet, I know that can effect scales - does it do the same with Wii boards?

I am not overly concerned about 'actual' weight, more about how I feel, look and whether there has been a comparative loss. However, it is awkward when your recorded weight is a stone out!

Suggestions please

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    WIi 's can be a bit random on weight measurement. They need to be on a flat firm surface and even then they can be a bit random. If you want more accurate weights pick up some cheap digital scales. Weigh at the same time at the same place in the same clothes and you'll get accurate data. As your body has normal variations of up to 5 pounds just monitor the trend if after a few weeks it's going doing your doing the right thing
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    any scale needs to be on a flat, solid surface to give an accurate reading. NOT CARPET. This goes for a Wii scale too, otherwise you're not just measuring the weight of your body you also would have to figure out how to account for the "give" of the carpet, padding, etc. Use one scale, only and consistently, and you'll likely see the downward trend you're hoping for.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Thanks both - I am going to switch to the bathroom scales as they are more convenient - I will go with a bigger weight loss than I probably deserve but, as I say, more interested in the trend and how I feel.

You guys have done brilliantly - well done :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: