5K I Did It.....!

Options
nh38318
nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
I have ran my 1st 5k this morning without stopping!! I'm on W8D2 of C25K and was to run 28 minutes today but felt good at 28minutes so decided to try and complete the full 5k and see how long it would take me. It took me 38 minutes 16 seconds in total.....I need to work on increasing my speed over the next few months but I DID IT!

So happy as 8 wks ago I couldnt run 30 seconds without being out of breath and my asthma coming on bad. Now I take my inhaler before I run and im fine right the way through and for the rest of the day without it....

Anyone on the programme and worrying how they are going to get through it please believe in it as it does work. If I can do it, then anyone can! Am looking forward to my next run to see if I can do it again.....

Replies

• shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :happy:
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm a few weeks behind you in the program but I had a breakthrough this week myself. Congratulations!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Definitely something to be proud of!
  • JGilchrist23
    JGilchrist23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well done, you just totally inspired me!! I have almost 16kg to lose and I started back at the gym just last night. I staggered/walked/ran through 5km and it took me 47 mins and I thought there is just no way I could ever run the full 5km without stopping. THANK YOU for making me see it can be done. :happy:
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. I'm starting the program April 1. Excited to see it works!!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You should feel good about your time too. When I finished c25k last Fall it took me about 45-50 minutes to actually run the full 5k distance.
  • 55Megamus
    55Megamus Posts: 40
    Options
    Awesome!......I cant tell you how many times I have started and stopped the C25K program because of lingering sports injuries, I love running, but my body hates it. Once I get going again I want to try to personalize the program to last longer to incorporate my low impact exercise like swimming and yoga so I don't aggravate the injuries again. It will take me longer than normal but I will get there.

Good job, be happy and keep it up!
  • simona815
    simona815 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I recently joined the gym and have been so intimidated to give running a try. I'm afraid of looking like a idiot if I can't do it or hurting myself so I have stuck to walking. I downloaded the app on Sat night really wanting to give running a shot but have yet to use it because I let my insecurity get the better of me every time. Your post is really inspiring, thank you for sharing, it was exactly what I needed to read at this particular moment. Amazing job and keep up the great work!!
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    well done and thank you, i am on week 3 day 1 (tommorow) and i am bit worried about the 3 min run, good to hear again it was just what i needed to hear at this moment thank you for sharing and good luck going forward
  • redchick
    redchick Posts: 2
    Options
    Well done - bet you felt like a rock star:-). I did C25K and i'm now training for a half marathon - I'm really slow though - more like a bouncy walk than a run!!!
  • RichardAshley39
    Options
    That's great its amazing how quickly fitness can improve, stick with it I'm sure that the speed will get quicker and quicker.
  • redchick
    redchick Posts: 2
    Options
    Go for it - I used to think people would judge me when I started but everyone if far too busy with their own workout to even notice. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just do a really slow jog and you'll be well able for the plan. Good luck.
  • nh38318
    Options
    I recently joined the gym and have been so intimidated to give running a try. I'm afraid of looking like a idiot if I can't do it or hurting myself so I have stuck to walking. I downloaded the app on Sat night really wanting to give running a shot but have yet to use it because I let my insecurity get the better of me every time. Your post is really inspiring, thank you for sharing, it was exactly what I needed to read at this particular moment. Amazing job and keep up the great work!!

I felt exactly the same! I started at the gym September last year but wouldnt go any faster than a walk on the treadmill as I was scared of looking stupid next to a "proper runner".....did this till Xmas when I got talking to a "proper runner" who said she was the same and couldnt run at all a couple of months before and followed the C25K herself. She also said no-one is bothered whether you are running or walking, or what speed etc you are doing as they are concentrating on doing their own thing! Once I got my head around it I decided to give the C25K a go from the New Year and havnt looked back.

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I just wanted to let people know that anyone can give it a go!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for sharing your success story :-)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

A bit of advice. I would strongly suggest you don't work on your speed, and in turn work on your distance once you finish your program. Especially since you're so new to running.

With distance comes speed, if you work on speed so early, chances are you will hit a wall and also bring injury to yourself.

Great job...
  • nh38318
    Options
    Congrats!

A bit of advice. I would strongly suggest you don't work on your speed, and in turn work on your distance once you finish your program. Especially since you're so new to running.

With distance comes speed, if you work on speed so early, chances are you will hit a wall and also bring injury to yourself.

Great job...

Thanks for the advice.

So carry on at the speed im doing and just run for longer each time? Or increase it every week? I will read up on it too as someone else mentioned about the 10% increments but I didnt quite grasp what she was trying to explain to me.
  • Sadiyyah70
    Sadiyyah70 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I have my first 5K coming up next month...we'll see how it goes!!
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    whats the official or best plan to use? If i google c25k there are a bunch of similar sites all offering a similar program. Same goes for the app store having a myriad of apps for it. Would appreciate any best sites/apps for it.

Thanks and great progress!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Great job...

Thanks for the advice.

So carry on at the speed im doing and just run for longer each time? Or increase it every week? I will read up on it too as someone else mentioned about the 10% increments but I didnt quite grasp what she was trying to explain to me.
    When you start running longer distances, don't try to run 5k speed, run a little slower at a speed that is very relaxing...as you
    get more and more miles under your shoes, then if you decide to work on speed. Distance is way more important than speed at first, and is still very important after, its just later you can have a day once a week where you do fartleks or hill runs where speed work will be utilized.

10% rule is a pretty good rule for newer runners. Take your distance you run in one week & multiple it by 1.1. That would be the distance you should try to focus on the next week. Speed work is not necessary at your level. Distance will increase you 5k speed naturally.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, super accomplishment. WTG !!