What should I add to my oatmeal?

Options
On Sunday, I made a batch of slow cooker oatmeal that had bananas, multiple kinds of nuts, blueberries, and a bit of maple syrup, among other things. I used milk to cook it on low for 4 hours as the recipe suggested. The recipe was described as "bursting with flavor." I call BS. It's completely bland and after two mornings of forcing it down my throat, it's going in the trash. It did call for coconut sugar, which I couldn't find anywhere, so I used brown sugar instead. I didn't think that would affect the flavor all that much.

I used all of my fruit on that recipe, but I'd like to try another batch of oatmeal to get me through this week before figuring out what else I can make for breakfast every morning. I'll be using the slow cooker again with 2 cups of rolled oats (it's what I have), a tablespoon of light butter, 2 cups of water, and 2 1/2 cups of 1% milk. I just need to know what and how much to add to make it taste as close to those little sugar laden instant oatmeal packs as I can get while staying under 340 calories per cup of oatmeal.

I still have sliced almonds, walnuts, and pecans as well as vanilla, real maple syrup, natural peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, regular sugar, Stevia, cinnamon, and many other spices. I have frozen blueberries as well. I know a lot of people eat oatmeal plain, but I guess I haven't developed a taste for that "earthy" non-flavor. So, tell me what I can put into the batch to fool myself into thinking I'm eating the stuff that comes in the packets? It would really help me out if you could tell me how much to put in the size of the batch I described so I don't have to wing it.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Think of oatmeal as a blank canvas, go from there.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My favorite oatmeal: 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar, sprinkle of ground cinnamon, 1 tbsp. peanut butter, and either raisins or half a banana diced. Yum yum.

Edited to add: no idea how this would work with the slow cooker, this is just what I add after making a microwaved bowl of plain quick oats.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would just make individual servings of oatmeal with different ingredients each time to see what I liked. When I found something I liked, then I'd do the whole batch. But oatmeal can definitely be a blank canvas for you to use your imagination with. Rigt now I am choking down a bad idea. Oatmeal and my protein powder do NOT go together! But different fruits, different sweeteners, nuts, etc.

Have you tried just cooking it with cinnamon and apples? That's pretty good.

ETA: If you're using the slow cooker because of a problem with time in the mornings, you can buy the Quaker "instant" kind. Microwaves in a couple minutes and no difference in taste or nutrition.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I just add fage 2 percent yogurt and mix it together I kinda enjouy the bland taste of oatmeal and with the yogurt I get my protein and carbs. Heres a website that specializes in oatmeal might give you some ideas http://www.myoatmeal.com/. Also I use steel cut oats and make a big pot once a week and spit it into containers so I can grab and go. Also you used Rolled oats which turn into mush when you get a chance try steel cut oats they do not turn to mush.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ALL THE THINGS!!!

But I personally love PB in my oatmeal. I use almond milk instead of water or skim milk to bring down the calories (yes I know water has no calories, but I think it is gross in oatmeal). Then, for the 1/2cup serving I use a tbs of PB and a tsp or 2 of brown sugar. Its like eating a giant gooey PB cookie...

Do you have to put all the add ins while slow cooking?

oh and that "that 'earthy' non-flavor" is called cardboard, or at least according to my BF, and he says I eat it all the time:laugh: but I like plain things like Cheerios.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to add the "extras" AFTER cooking it. Make a batch of plain oats and then just add whatever you like each morning. a) the flavours are much stronger this way b) if you don't like one combination, you didn't waste the whole batch.

Some combos I like:

1) Peanut Butter and Jelly/Honey. Add a TBSP of each.

2) Craisins and walnuts. Add as many as will stay under your calorie goal (I guess 340 in this case)

3) Maple Syrup and Blueberries.
  • kjenks123
    kjenks123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everyday I have 1.25 cups of egg whites mixed with 1/3 cup of uncooked quick oats. Mix it together, toss it in the pan and make a protein pancake. I add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and I take a half a grapefruit and toss it on the top of it. It's great and fills me up. My wife eats the same thing except no peanut butter or grapefruit. She uses some maple syrup which kinda defeats the purpose. ;)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I still have sliced almonds, walnuts, and pecans as well as vanilla, real maple syrup, natural peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, regular sugar, Stevia, cinnamon, and many other spices. I have frozen blueberries as well. I know a lot of people eat oatmeal plain, but I guess I haven't developed a taste for that "earthy" non-flavor. So, tell me what I can put into the batch to fool myself into thinking I'm eating the stuff that comes in the packets? It would really help me out if you could tell me how much to put in the size of the batch I described so I don't have to wing it.

Why not try a new combination from the things you already have?

I like banana + walnut + maple syrup + cinnamon.
    Or blueberry + almond + vanilla + honey.

If I want some extra calories and protein I'll usually add a splash of milk.

Before I started eating oats frequently, I did find that even with maple syrup or honey, they weren't as sweet as I was used to. I just acclimatized to it and found that they were actually quite delicious and filling.

Maybe don't make it in one big batch so if you don't like it you won't be wasting anymore ingredients?
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal plain, then add in things.

Usually frozen berries and some Apple sauce. Or banana and 1 tbsp. Vegan chocolate chips. Or frozen cherries and some vanilla. Maybe chopped apple and peanut butter. Blueberries and walnuts are good too.

I try to keep my oats and mix ins around 300 calories' ish.

(I used to be a butter and brown sugar person, and a lot of it. Took a while to get used to my oats not being a sweet)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you added all that stuff to your oatmeal and call it "bland," then you must have defective taste buds. Or you need to add more brown sugar. Maybe try some snack-size candy bars, M&Ms, etc
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I tried a very interesting savory oatmeal recipe over the weekend. Toast the oats before cooking then when done add miso to taste. Top with cream or plain yogurt, toasted walnuts and chopped chives or green onion...mmm!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    The best oatmeal recipes I've ever made came from here: www.theoatmealartist.com

The baked oatmeal varieties are probably my favorite: http://www.theoatmealartist.com/search/label/baked oatmeal, especially the peanut butter cookie one. TONS of flavor in her recipes. Except the pumpkin pie. Don't say I didn't warn you :wink:
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Just going to respond to the title;

Put whatever you like that will help you to eat it daily.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I hate the texture of oatmeal so I always add crunchy things. My go to recipe is oatmeal, 1 T of peanut or almond butter and a half or whole apple cut up. Frankly I'm not crazy about oatmeal, but its healthy and filling so I eat it fairly often.
  • gladhelen
    gladhelen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make plain oatmeal every morning and add around 100 calories of toppings, some favourites are:

1) 20g Nutella
    2) a whole sliced banana (you can 'melt' the banana first in a pan or in the microwave to make a sort of banana syrup which is good!)
    3) a chopped and cooked apple with cinnamon
    4) cinnamon, raisins and a little sweetener or sugar
    5) Blueberries and Maple Syrup
    6) Sugar Free Raspberry Jam and flaked almonds

People are right you can get really creative, just try things and see what you like best :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My standard is oatmeal with raspberries, blueberries and honey. I typically make mine with 1/2 cup of milk and a half cup of water. Sometimes I add vanilla yogurt. Sometimes I add honey yogurt (and not add the honey).

As pointed out, unless you are using steel-cut oats which can force you into cooking a 4-cup batch, cook a single serving at a time.

Oh, one other trick if using steel cut oats, sauté them in a non-stick frying pan (I melt a serving of butter in the pan), stirring/turning frequently so that they don't burn prior to cooking in water. I have found that it seems to naturally sweeten the oatmeal.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If you added all that stuff to your oatmeal and call it "bland," then you must have defective taste buds. Or you need to add more brown sugar. Maybe try some snack-size candy bars, M&Ms, etc

Well it was only 2 tbsp of brown sugar in the entire batch (made 6-7 servings). This is the recipe: http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-nutty-blueberry-banana-oatmeal/
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone! I'm just going to make the oatmeal plain and add different stuff each day this week and see what I like best. Keep the suggestions coming! The "do not try" warnings are also really helpful!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is make the oatmeal plain and then add in your toppings separately when its time to eat. and you can eat a different oatmeal everyday and if one set of toppings doesnt do it for you, you can try something different the next day without ruining the whole batch b/c u made it plain.

i do frozen berries, i add them in while the oatmeal is super hot and it thaws and melts the berries its soooo good.
    some times ill add a tablespoon of chopped walnuts and a packet of sugar, splenda or truvia.

or some unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I mostly add a TBSP of peanutbutter to mine. This morning, I also added about 1/3 OZ of dry roasted peanuts for a little crunch. Very satisfying!