Those who follow IIFYM - a little help

Options
Jambalady
Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
Hi,

I went on to the IIFYM site and set my macros according to my TDEE and a weight loss of 15% under. These are the macros it gave me back.

Female 39 years old - exercise 4x week
BMR = 1256
TDEE = 1781
TDEE = 1514

Macros
165 carbs
112 protein
44 fat

I'm looking at my diary of previous food options and I can't possibly see how I can meet my protein macros and not completely go over on my fat macros.

And, I don't think I eat all that poorly.

Anyone have an example of what their meals look like or want to look in my diary for suggestions on what I should change?

For example, today I've had:

Breakfast
Coffee with cream & sugar
Greek Yogurt with Honey and Granola

Lunch
Roast Turkey
Brussel Sprouts
Broccoli with Almonds and Garlic
Kale and Apple Salad

and I am almost up to my limit on fat macros . . .

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of us who follow IIFYM try to think of protein and fat as minimum goals and carbs as a maximum. In other words, it's okay - or even desirable - to go over on your fats or protein as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Good info on protein sources:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I find it pretty easy to hit my protein without going over in fat (my fat's actually too low and I need to work on that). I eat a lot of protein like chicken, and I stopped viewing 4oz as a serving. I eat a whole chicken breast now, which is usually more like 6oz or more (I just weigh it out on the scale before cooking).
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    in for ideas on reaching my protein/fat goals
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad at all, just when cutting protein becomes even more important to retain lean muscle. And fat helps vitamin absorption, among a bunch of other health benefits; so they are needed by the body, get what you need then fill in the rest with whatever you want be it more fat and protein, or just carbs.

For the record I eat about 40-45%% carbs 160+ grams per day
  • Jambalady
    Options
    A lot of us who follow IIFYM try to think of protein and fat as minimum goals and carbs as a maximum. In other words, it's okay - or even desirable - to go over on your fats or protein as long as you stay within your calorie goal.

If that's the case, I can certainly get within my protein goal and likely make my calories too. But I didn't see how I could possibly stay under the fat number.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OP - is your goal to lose weight? To lose weight & gain / retain muscle?
  • DamePiglet
    Options

If that's the case, I can certainly get within my protein goal and likely make my calories too. But I didn't see how I could possibly stay under the fat number.

Most of us prioritize macros and micros, anyway.
    Check out the thread previously suggested. :smile:
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No one has previously mentioned this about your fat intake, but it looks like for lunch all of your food was from eating out (never heard of Digg Inn). You can eat more and control your macros effectively by eating more home cooked meals. I eat 5 meals a day and most of the time I'm nowhere near my calories and within 5 grams of carbs and protein with fat being the furthest from being met (I'm normally about 20 grams under).
  • Jambalady
    Options

OP - is your goal to lose weight? To lose weight & gain / retain muscle?

My goal is to lose a little fat, but mainly to gain muscle. Not overly concerned about weight.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Anyway I really don't have beef with you or IIFYM in the way Lyle McDonald actually describes it, I just hate how it gets bastardized on these forums and it turns into "eat all the fast food and ice cream and pop tarts you possibly can!"
    [/quote]

Ever notice it's people like yourself are the ones that basterdize it. I've never seen someone preaching IIFYM saying they eat nothing but sweets and fast food. Not ever in my life. Not once.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    Good info on protein sources:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I find it pretty easy to hit my protein without going over in fat (my fat's actually too low and I need to work on that). I eat a lot of protein like chicken, and I stopped viewing 4oz as a serving. I eat a whole chicken breast now, which is usually more like 6oz or more (I just weigh it out on the scale before cooking).

Thanks. This is very helpful!
  • Jambalady
    Options
    FTR, I'm not trying to find a diet that allows me to binge on "bad food". I'm more looking for something that will optimize my body's ability to gain muscle and lost fat.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Anyway I really don't have beef with you or IIFYM in the way Lyle McDonald actually describes it, I just hate how it gets bastardized on these forums and it turns into "eat all the fast food and ice cream and pop tarts you possibly can!"

Ever notice it's people like yourself are the ones that basterdize it. I've never seen someone preaching IIFYM saying they eat nothing but sweets and fast food. Not ever in my life. Not once.
    [/quote]

People say it's POSSIBLE to lose weight on an all Twinky diet. Even though they all say that it's not a good idea and that it's neither healthy nor sustainable, others don't seem to get that. Or they just choose not to.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've found shrimp and lean pork tenderloin have great amounts of protein with very little fat...if you're looking for more variety to throw into your routine and keep the fats in check.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I went on to the IIFYM site and set my macros according to my TDEE and a weight loss of 15% under. These are the macros it gave me back.

BMR = 1256
    TDEE = 1781
    TDEE = 1514

Macros
    165 carbs
    112 protein
    44 fat

I'm looking at my diary of previous food options and I can't possibly see how I can meet my protein macros and not completely go over on my fat macros.

Anyone have an example of what their meals look like or want to look in my diary for suggestions on what I should change?

Breakfast

Lunch
    Roast Turkey
    Brussel Sprouts
    Kale and Apple Salad

I'm having some difficulty finding 44 grams of fat with what you posted there unless you're eating full fat yogurt (fairly substantial serving) and there about a ton of almonds with your broccoli.

Personally, I eat non-fat greek yogurt (as I get my fats elsewhere), eggs, lots of chicken and other lean meats and fish, and I supplement with whey. I get in around 160 - 170 grams of protein per day and stay within my fat macros pretty easily.

My protein and fat remain fairly constant regardless of my weight control goals and carbs are my flex.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi,

BMR = 1256
    TDEE = 1781
    TDEE = 1514

Macros
    165 carbs
    112 protein
    44 fat

Breakfast

Lunch
    Roast Turkey
    Brussel Sprouts
    Kale and Apple Salad

Chobani greek yogurt, protein shakes, chicken breast, tuna, turkey, egg whites, MY FAVORITE BEEF JERKEY!!!!!

All low fat and high protein. You can also snack on some protein bars.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    FTR, I'm not trying to find a diet that allows me to binge on "bad food". I'm more looking for something that will optimize my body's ability to gain muscle and lost fat.

Great.
    Yeah, going over your fat won't cause a problem with your goals.
  • Jambalady
    Options

I'm having some difficulty finding 44 grams of fat with what you posted there unless you're eating full fat yogurt (fairly substantial serving) and there about a ton of almonds with your broccoli.

Personally, I eat non-fat greek yogurt (as I get my fats elsewhere), eggs, lots of chicken and other lean meats and fish, and I supplement with whey. I get in around 160 - 170 grams of protein per day and stay within my fat macros pretty easily.

My protein and fat remain fairly constant regardless of my weight control goals and carbs are my flex.

I'm actually only up to 30 Fat and 57 Protein with breakfast and lunch.

My concern was that would leave me with 55 grams of protein that I would still need to get in for dinner and only 14 grams of fat and having to balance those 2 macros.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

My concern was that would leave me with 55 grams of protein that I would still need to get in for dinner and only 14 grams of fat and having to balance those 2 macros.

If you really want more protein then why don't reduce some carbs and add it to protein, it's 1:1.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

An 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast has around 52 grams of protein and about 2 grams of fat and only about 240 calories or so. that leaves you plenty of room for some dark chocolate or something for desert to hit those fat grams and get in some tasty antioxidants.

You just need to find leaner sources of protein...nuts and the like are great, but a lot of people confuse these for protein sources...and while they do have protein, they are much better sources of healthy fat. Lean meats like the chicken I noted...canned tuna...pork tenderloins....lean cuts of beef...non-fat greek yogurt.

Just keep trying to hit them...you'll eventually get there. The idea is just to optimize nutrition...I wouldn't worry about hitting on everything down to the very last gram, you're gong to drive yourself bonkers doing that.