Chia Seeds....

Options
I am confused about how to use them. Per the directions it said soak tbsp. in 6oz of water. Of course this makes a gel. Now my question is when I am following a recipe that calls for 2tbsp is that before or after soaking. Do I use all of the soaked version? I brought some for green smoothies 16 oz...how much of the soak version should I use. Thanks!

Replies

• First you spread the seeds on:

chia1s_zps8c581481.jpg

Then you wait for them to grow!

chia2_zpsbd95fbd4.jpg
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp is the measurement before soaking. And there's no need to pre-soak them, you can put them into your smoothie with all your other ingredients.

My typical morning smoothie includes chia seeds, hemp seeds, flaxseed meal, and oatmeal, among other things. The flax and chia seeds really tend to soak up moisture and thicken the smoothie. A few days ago I realized it's easier to eat my morning smoothie with a spoon rather than waiting for it to come out of the glass. It has the consistency of soft ice cream.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just put them straight into a smoothie as well, :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For a recipe you wouldn't soak them. I've never soaked them - I guess if you're just eating them plain then you'd soak them?!
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    I am confused about how to use them. Per the directions it said soak tbsp. in 6oz of water. Of course this makes a gel. Now my question is when I am following a recipe that calls for 2tbsp is that before or after soaking. Do I use all of the soaked version? I brought some for green smoothies 16 oz...how much of the soak version should I use. Thanks!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/health/banana-muesli-smoothie-recipes-for-health.html?_r=0

In the article:

"When you soak the seeds in water, they expand and become gelatinous, a property that aids digestion and contributes to their low glycemic index. When I use the seeds in smoothies, dressings and juices, I scoop up a tablespoon of the gelatinous mixture of seeds suspended in water — which is the equivalent of a teaspoon of unsoaked chia seeds — and add it to the drink or dressing. It adds substance to a drink, and I felt incredibly well nourished by this week’s chia-enriched fruit smoothies."
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    First you spread the seeds on:

chia1s_zps8c581481.jpg

Then you wait for them to grow!

chia2_zpsbd95fbd4.jpg

LOL!!!!

Good question - I have never soaked Chia seeds - didn't know you were supposed to? I just put them in straight from the bag.
  • ajpage83
    ajpage83 Posts: 1
    Options
    I prefer milled chia over seeds. I can't imagine a lot of the nutrients are getting absorbed in their whole form. Two tablespoons in my greek yogurt and I'm good to go.
  • NakiaDM77
    NakiaDM77 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank You so much everybody...I will use straight from the bag