Attention Joggers/Runners....!!!

Options
I am thinking of beginning to jog/run for exercise and I need a little bit of advice. I am roughly 5 pounds from goal (yay!), and have been at this point for a while. Very Frustrating! I have basically hit a plateau, and I have tried EVERYTHING to break through it. I added a ton of protein, and my only carbs right now are saltine crackers, and occasionally tortilla chips, increased my weights, changed up my workouts, which in addtion to HIIT and walking, which were my main exercise avenues, added boot camp, zumba, kickboxing, basketball with my kids, and cardio and strength intervals. THE SCALE HAS NOT MOVED IN 3 WEEKS!

I find that I can now walk for a full hour without getting tired, and honestly NEVER thought I could/would jog for exercise. I dont despise it, but it is not an exercise I enjoy, and dont think I will stick to it for long. However, I dont belong to a gym, and therefore dont have access to elliptical machines, rowing machines, etc. So, I thought, well, I might as well give jogging a try. It's FREE, and I thoroughly enjoy being outside. Now that Spring is almost here, I can get back to doing my exercise outdoors, and the park at which I walk, is PERFECT for jogging/running. I have seen tons of people run SLOWLY, and I said, well, maybe I can too., even if at first, its at a snails pace.

I said all that to say: I have heard of couch to 5k (C25K), and I thought I would start there. Even though I am not "on the couch", I am at the beginning of running. Is there any other programs that you guys have done that would be similar (or not), that a newbie to jogging could do? Where do you suggest I start? Should I jog/walk? Or walk/jog? Or just jog slowiy the whole time?

Any POSITIVE advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Replies

• trink4
    trink4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    C25k program is a great place to start. You can find really good training programs online. Also, running stores in your area may have group runs/ training programs. Fleet Feet is a wonderful store that offers lots of training for novice runners and experienced runners. Start with a 5 minute warm up. Then jog for 1 minute/ walk a minute. After a week, increase your running time and leave walking time the same. Keep increasing your running time until you are crossing the finish line of your 5k.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I second C25k. I am on week 3 right now, and my endurance increases each time I run.
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT for running, I think I found it on about.com

Pretty much it's walk 1min, jog 1 for 30 minutes. Then walk 2min, jog 1min etc...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe try getting your carbs from fruit and veg instead of crackers?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always had knee trouble and thought that I can't run. I started playing a game called Ingress (Ingress.com) which uses the GPS on your phone in a virtual game of capture the flag. I started to walk and as I wanted to get to the next "portal" faster I would run. This interval of walk stop run stop walk etc. made all the difference for me. That slow start kept my knees from getting sore. I now love to run and have logged 160 miles this year. Get good shoes and start slow.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do. I eat a ton of veggies, but not a big fruit fan, except for mangoes, grapefruit and bananas.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I did couch 25k about 4 years ago. Loved the program.

It will work even if you are not on the couch. week one might be a little easy for you, so what. If you start today, and don't repeat (I repeated a few weeks), You will be 9 weeks away from running a 5k.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    C25K is the best program to start in my opinion. I went from not running (other than in softball and chasing my kids) to a half marathon in 9 months. C25K got me started. In case someone else has not mentioned it already, get a good pair of running shoes that are properly fit for your feet. Run on asphalt or trails if possible rather than concrete as it will be easier on your joints. Best of luck and happy trails!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I used the Ease into 5k app which I enjoyed. I've just finished it!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    C25K is the bomb. I hadn't exercised a day in my life since gym class in high school and I am addicted to running now. You can do it!
  • wonderbolt_in_training
    Options
    C25k works! Started in October (never ran, even after a bus or across the street, in my entire life) and ran my first mile all at once in ~14min last month. Just do it!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The C25k program is the best way to get into running. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I had plateaued and nothing seemed to work. I despised running, but I also knew it was the best way to burn calories. So I started with the C25K and by week 4, I actually found myself enjoying it! I now run 3-4 times a week and have found the joy of running!
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I downloaded the app today, and did Week1, Day 1. I was quite surprised at how well I did. Jogging was easier than I anticipated. I do have some endurance from working out regularly, so I am sure that helped. I wasn't exhausted afterward. But, I think I will stick to doing in order for now. I can always do two in a row on the same day if necessary. I am actually quite excited about it! Thanks again for the POSITIVE input!