Do you tip? When and/or for what?

Options
13»

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I tip everyone pretty lavishly as a matter of course. I bartended for a long time and I have a lot of empathy for tipped workers. Unless a server is doing something that is clearly deliberate bad service (like ignoring my table in favour of talking to friends in a not-busy restaurant), I'm pretty forgiving (especially if I can tell he or she is busy and trying hard.) I am probably the worst (best?) with delivery guys in the winter though. Anyone who brings hot food through snow and wind and ice directly to my door probably deserves the extra, though. Taxi drivers too. If you put up with my drunk friends screeching and woo-ing for twenty minutes on the way to/from the bar, you earned that extra tip and then some.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    as someone from australia, i find tipping a weird thing to do. i guess here the minimum wage must be a lot higher than over there, and you cant pay someone under minimum wage.

however, i also know that food and services are a lot dearer here than they are over there to compensate. as an example, at a cafe you would easily pay $15 - $20 for a plate of pasta or a schnitzel, $25 for a steak. if you were to go to a "fine dining" restaurant you would pay $40 - $50 for a main, plus extra for side serving of veg or salad.

The servers also don't expect to be tipped as they are doing their job. However, if the server was to do something for me that was outside their normal duties, then yes i would flick them a bit extra.

that being said, I wouldnt be against a tipping tip system if they reduced the cost of the products accordingly. If a person is relying on tips to earn extra money, then chances are they are going to be a lot more friendly, accomodating and helpful than someone that will be paid regardless.