Lent anyone?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    I giving up paying taxes to the government. Think god will keep Uncle Sam off my back?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Alcohol! And I am actually carrying it through till mid-June! :drinker:

Wait... :ohwell:
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Well I'm Catholic so I can't eat meat on Fridays or today (ash wednesday) but for lent I will be giving up sweets and trying to solidify healthy habits like running 3 times a week and being more diligent in my logging of foods. It is supposed to take 21 days to form a new habit so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to do just that. I wish you all the best luck with your lent goals! You can do this!
  • sbox11
    sbox11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hope to give up fast food and take out. I don't usually eat a lot of fast food, but we do eat a lot of take out! It's so much easier to grab and go on the way home or on the weekends than it is to cook sometimes. I've just texted my husband in hopes that he will join me. It will take a lot of meal planning, but I hope I can do it!

We aren't Catholic, but my entire family is. I'm also not very religious, but see this as a good time to hold myself accountable by "using" Lent. Jesus sacrificed for us, so I should be able to sacrifice as well. Good luck to all!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I gave up religion
  • KeshiaBanks
    KeshiaBanks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not even Catholic, but every year I try to give something up for Lent. I figure it can't hurt. I have previously given up popcorn, pizza, Pepsi....

This year I'm going to try something new. I'm going to give up red meat and chicken. I'm gonna try to do shrimp, fish, crab, etc.
    AND give up Pepsi and chocolate. (my two biggest vices)

I am giving up chicken.
  • iwtfytj
    iwtfytj Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In high school, I gave up religion, and I'm still going strong with that Lent resolve.

Seriously, though, whatever increases your motivation, go for it.

Haha! Same here.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    hmmm, maybe I will give up pushing DH's buttons for 40 days. It will be tough, but might be worth it. :smile:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've given up processed sugar. Replacing it with fruits. I may finally get my sugar content under the MFP recommendations. :laugh:
  • andreaheileman
    andreaheileman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic, but I think I'm going to do lent this year because it still will be a good way to focus on the Lord instead of these things we "love". I'm going to try to give up the following:

Pop - I don't have this often but really will still be hard.
    Chocolate/Candy/Junk Food - This will be pretty hard too, but I think it will help my weight loss!
    Shopping - I really need to work on saving money. So no shopping except groceries and that type of thing. I really do not need any more clothing, accessories, or beauty items.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!

:bigsmile:
  • tamio9
    tamio9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am not Catholic either, but my boyfriend is and I always join in too, this year I am giving up all sweet snacks.... I most always eat a sweet that is low cal or "heathy" ish..... but I am cutting them all out! I am going to need a lot of encouragement this year!!! I get horrible sweet tooth in the evenings...

Any suggestions on what to snack on instead??
  • Maktub40
    Maktub40 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm Catholic and this Lent instead of giving up something I'm going to do something. I'm going to wake up at 4 am and go to the gym Monday through Saturday. Lord knows how hard that is for me. Today was my first day and I'm already falling asleep at my desk (9:00). I'm also planning on giving thanks for 10 things, big or small, every night. Anywhere from helping me wake up for the gym this morning, letting the traffic light stay green, anything! I am also wanting to pray the Rosary, maybe on Sundays!
  • MrsClaireBear
    Options
    I'm giving up what I want to eat, and start eating what I need to lose weight!
  • Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am giving up any type of soda and me and my husband just stopped smoking Sunday and that will be a challenge through Lent to keep it up. I am also adding healthy habits and started couch 2 5k yesterday and will stay on the program throughout Lent (and hopefully beyond). Also doing the obligatory no meat today, Ash Wednesday, and Fridays. :wink:
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic and am giving up technology (unplugging) for at least Will be running "unplugged" a lot more during Lent, too.
  • rachaelps
    rachaelps Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up pizza and chocolate. I was already only having them in moderation. I had a farewell to pizza dinner last night. God help me!
  • courtney3988
    courtney3988 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am Catholic i am giving up my bad habits like cursing and working on the good like working on doing the rosary's and reading the bible more.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am catholic, so I already cannot eat red meat on Fridays and today, but for lent I am giving up tortillas chips and to better myself I will not course to all those crazy drivers at Houston,
  • courtney3988
    courtney3988 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Coffee, I give it up every year AND it is VERY hard to do

My teenage son gives up Facebook! Yup FB!!!

Wow your awesome and you have great commitment i tried think it was last year to give up coffee do not have good will power to give it up. I need my coffee in the morning.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I was going to give up french fries, but that seemed like a cop out since I only eat those about once per month anyway. So now I have decided to give up diet soda, which is something I LOVE. I feel like giving up diet soda will be more of an actual sacrifice for me. This will be a challenge, but I think I can do it.